RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Johnny Hallyday, Singer Known as the ‘French Elvis,’ Dies at 74 - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Johnny Hallyday, Singer Known as the ‘French Elvis,’ Dies at 74 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

Johnny Hallyday, Singer Known as the ‘French Elvis,’ Dies at 74
By Variety Staff | @Variety
December 5, 2017 6:08PM PT

French rock star and actor Johnny Hallyday, who became the first Gallic singer to popularize rock ’n’ roll in France and sold over 110 million records during a music career spanning over half a century, has died, according to Agence France Presse. He was 74 and had been fighting cancer for several months.

Widely known as the “French Elvis,” Hallyday began his singing career at the end of the 1950s specializing in French-language cover versions of famous songs by artists like Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochrane and Elvis Presley — whose example inspired him to become a singer.

At the beginning of 1960 Hallyday released his first album, “Hello! Johnny.” The following year he performed at France’s first rock festival at the Palais des Sports in Paris, setting off a near-riot that led to a ban on rock ’n’ roll shows for several months.

Hallyday’s covers instantly proved a successful way for American rock ’n’ roll to infiltrate its way into France. He even gave the Jimi Hendrix Experience their very first gig as his opening act at the Paris Olympia in October 1966.

Link

Johnny Hallyday est mort : l’idole aux 110 millions de disques vendus disparaît à 74 ans
LE MONDE | 06.12.2017 à 03h07 • Mis à jour le 06.12.2017 à 12h36

Johnny a conquis des générations de Français avec ses tubes « Que je t’aime », « Quelque chose de Tennessee », « Allumer le feu »…

Avec la mort de Johnny Hallyday, dans la nuit du mardi 5 au mercredi 6 décembre, à l’âge de 74 ans, c’est une légende de la chanson française qui disparaît. L’artiste était devenu un mythe vivant en France, ayant conquis un très large public qui appréciait autant sa personnalité et sa sensibilité que ses chansons. Sa carrière est phénoménale, il a enregistré plus de mille titres, composé une centaine de chansons et vendu 110 millions de disques.

Continue

I never liked the moniker "The French Elvis". However, Johnny Hallyday did follow the same formula for success as early rock n' roll legends such as Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Buddy Holly. Personally, I like the fact that he did not become popular in the US. That gave him freedom to create his own style.

#2 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

Dang, I missed his whole career. RIP

#3 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostLongKnife, on 06 December 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

That makes two of us...RIP

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

View Postfirecoco, on 06 December 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

That makes two of us...RIP

Tres... RIP

#5 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Quite well known in the UK (well he was just across the water lol), as the French mega-icon that never cracked us or the US.

His fame in France was enormous. And popularity, he could sell out a 70-80000 seater easy.
IMO third only to De Gaulle and Piaf as a 20thC French icon.

#6 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

View PostLadybird, on 06 December 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Tres... RIP

Trois. Tres is Spanish.

#7 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

View Postscotsman, on 06 December 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

Quite well known in the UK (well he was just across the water lol), as the French mega-icon that never cracked us or the US.

His fame in France was enormous. And popularity, he could sell out a 70-80000 seater easy.
IMO third only to De Gaulle and Piaf as a 20thC French icon.

You are forgetting Jerry Lewis.

https://static.greatbigcanvas.com/images/singlecanvas_thick_none/everett-collection/the-caddy-jerry-lewis-french-poster-art-1953,2408493.jpg?max=300

#8 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostLongKnife, on 06 December 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

You are forgetting Jerry Lewis.

https://static.greatbigcanvas.com/images/singlecanvas_thick_none/everett-collection/the-caddy-jerry-lewis-french-poster-art-1953,2408493.jpg?max=300

I'm trying to, I'm trying to!

:D

#9 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

While not the only French rock singer, Johnny was by far the most popular and influential. I think that his sales of over 100 million albums is even more impressive because he rarely sung in English. Nor did he have a major following outside of France and continental Europe. If you listen to his music, you also witness the evolution of pop culture in France. He was extremely talented and knew when to mix it up.

I am fluent in French. Of course, all of my teachers in high school into college had Johnny Hallyday albums that they would play. Before the internet, they were a rare find. You had to special order them at record stores, through niche boutiques, or a trip to Québec.

These days you just go out to YouTube and enjoy Johnny's whole repertoire. If you have one of those eavesdropping Siri devices, tell it to play a Johnny Hallyday song. Heck, I have introduced people to Klaus Nomi thanks to YouTube. And there are thousands more artists to be re-discovered. What a time to be alive.

#10 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

Johnny Hallyday: The story of a French rock phenomenon

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-42249556

#11 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

No kidding, obviously a very talented performer.

Oki

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

This is why the sooner 'mass entertainment' dies off the better.
Know, before you scratch your heads (or flame me) please allow me to explain.

For decades the entertainment and even news is all decided by a handful of people.
Many of them utter p.o.s. Who becomes famous is often decided not by talent or ability but by be willing to sleep with someone.
If you don't fit into a specific mold or look or are unwilling to do 'what ever it takes' you don't get the bright lights and big stages.

For all the complaints of social media(IE You Tube) a hell of lot of truly talented performers (as well as God awful ones) finally can get noticed or even sell their work without the traditional scum bucket producers, managers, and scum sucking industry.

Hopefully that all came out right...

Oki

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

View Postoki, on 06 December 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

This is why the sooner 'mass entertainment' dies off the better.
Know, before you scratch your heads (or flame me) please allow me to explain.

For decades the entertainment and even news is all decided by a handful of people.
Many of them utter p.o.s. Who becomes famous is often decided not by talent or ability but by be willing to sleep with someone.
If you don't fit into a specific mold or look or are unwilling to do 'what ever it takes' you don't get the bright lights and big stages.

For all the complaints of social media(IE You Tube) a hell of lot of truly talented performers (as well as God awful ones) finally can get noticed or even sell their work without the traditional scum bucket producers, managers, and scum sucking industry.

Hopefully that all came out right...

Oki

If not for MTV, Christopher Cross might’ve had a big career.

#14 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostLadybird, on 06 December 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

If not for MTV, Christopher Cross might’ve had a big career.

Unfortunately much to our detriment I can say the exact opposite about a number of no talent hacks MTV made rich and famous.

Again though, this is one very nice thing about Social Media/Video Sharing websites. It's finally a chance for those with talent to get noticed and not have to deal with the sleazy pieces of sh$t that infest the entertainment industry. What's better these people can actually sell their goods(to mean music) at a much much cheaper price to the fan while still keeping a much greater share of the sale.

Hopefully the day will come when a talented performer or artist won't need a record label or scumbag producer, manager, or the like to be famous and successful. I know their are some honest ones out their, but it's a lot like Lawyers, yes honest decent ones exist, but good luck finding one.

Oki

#15 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Have been listening tonight on Spotify to the stuff he did in the late 60s, with Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton and The Small Faces.
Wow, brilliant stuff.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 06 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

#16 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

#17 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1