RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Outrage as Philly pushes through ban on bulletproof glass in crime-pla - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Outrage as Philly pushes through ban on bulletproof glass in crime-pla Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DJGoody 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 313
  • Joined: 07-June 16

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

Outrage as Philly pushes through ban on bulletproof glass in crime-plagued neighborhood shops

Fox News
By Frank Miles, Greg Norman
December 7, 2017

<Excerpt>

Philadelphia is one step closer to getting rid of bulletproof glass in many of its small businesses as part of a larger effort to crack down on loitering, public urination and potential drug sales -- but it's triggered backlash from the shopkeepers.

The city's Public Health and Human Services Committee passed a bill that enables Philadelphia's Department of Licenses and Inspections to regulate the bullet-resistant barricades that stand between customers and cash registers in many neighborhood corner stores, according to Fox 29.

“No establishment required to obtain a Large Establishment license … shall erect or maintain a physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment,” the bill states. It also calls for larger establishments to have bathrooms for customers.


Many of the hundreds of deli owners feel as though they are being singled out and are among those protesting the bill, according to Fox 29.

“If the glass comes down, the crime rate will rise and there will be lots of dead bodies,” Rich Kim, the owner of Broad Deli, which sells soda, meals and beer by the can, said. “The most important thing is safety and the public’s safety.”


LINK


That will fix crime!
0

#2 User is online   ThePatriot 

  • Warpaint
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 26,564
  • Joined: 17-August 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

Stupid leftists...
0

#3 User is offline   LongKnife 

  • Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 2,919
  • Joined: 10-November 04

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Why do they think people started installing bulletproof glass in the first place?
0

#4 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 23,774
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

SO how does cracking down on bullet proof glass stop loitering, crime and public urination?

I am thinking arresting and moving vagabonds out of those places will solve that.
0

#5 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 31,793
  • Joined: 13-January 04

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostThePatriot, on 07 December 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Stupid leftists...



That's redundant.
0

#6 User is offline   DJGoody 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 313
  • Joined: 07-June 16

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 07 December 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

SO how does cracking down on bullet proof glass stop loitering, crime and public urination?

I am thinking arresting and moving vagabonds out of those places will solve that.



Well, now you are just being mean! *sarcasm*
0

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,961
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

If some of them are selling open containers of beer and shots of booze (or drugs) then fine them for that. I mentioned the other day about the ‘health food stores’ in upperManhattan selling weed. They had bullet proof barriers just like these and it’s certainly understandable why.
But everyone shouldn’t be punished.
0

#8 User is offline   linewinder 

  • Ichi Go Ni
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 129
  • Joined: 09-May 04

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostLadybird, on 07 December 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

If some of them are selling open containers of beer and shots of booze (or drugs) then fine them for that. I mentioned the other day about the ‘health food stores’ in upperManhattan selling weed. They had bullet proof barriers just like these and it’s certainly understandable why.
But everyone shouldn’t be punished.


Sounds like you are talking about gun control.
Why pass laws that take away a persons right to
self defense just to control the law breakers.
0

#9 User is offline   Dutch13 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,352
  • Joined: 02-May 06

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

I heard about this a little while back and I thought there was no way possible stupid sh# like this would actually get enacted. I am sure that there is an explanation to my question if I read further, but this section seems to give favorable treatment to drive thru windows.


Quote

“No establishment required to obtain a Large Establishment license … shall erect or maintain a physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment,” the bill states. It also calls for larger establishments to have bathrooms for customers.


If someone is able to protect themselves via a barrier in a drive thru, they are receiving special treatment by the government. Don't tell me that they need the glass for protection from the elements......because that bar that drops down to secure the drive thru window doesn't deter the rain. It deters criminals.





0

#10 User is offline   Natural Selection 

  • Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 15,525
  • Joined: 31-December 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Removing the bulletproof glass will make it easier for shopkeepers to shoot would-be robbers. :2up:
0

#11 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 11,463
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 07 December 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Removing the bulletproof glass will make it easier for shopkeepers to shoot would-be robbers. :2up:


What happens if a shopkeeper shoots an innocent by-stander? Or worse - he shoots "a troubled youth who was turning his life around"?
0

#12 User is offline   Natural Selection 

  • Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 15,525
  • Joined: 31-December 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 07 December 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

What happens if a shopkeeper shoots an innocent by-stander? Or worse - he shoots "a troubled youth who was turning his life around"?


:lol:

Like this guy?

https://s7.postimg.org/gu72hfzej/dindu.jpg
0

#13 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 17,373
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostDJGoody, on 07 December 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

Philadelphia is one step closer to getting rid of bulletproof glass in many of its small businesses as part of a larger effort to crack down on loitering, public urination and potential drug sales -- but it's triggered backlash from the shopkeepers.

The city's Public Health and Human Services Committee passed a bill that enables Philadelphia's Department of Licenses and Inspections to regulate the bullet-resistant barricades that stand between customers and cash registers in many neighborhood corner stores, according to Fox 29.

“No establishment required to obtain a Large Establishment license … shall erect or maintain a physical barrier that requires the persons serving the food either to open a window or other aperture or to pass the food through a window or other aperture, in order to hand the food to a customer inside the establishment,” the bill states. It also calls for larger establishments to have bathrooms for customers.


The article should read, "Philadelphia is one step closer to getting rid of many of its small businesses..." Apparently their 'solution' to crime is to get all the potential targets to move out.

It'll probably take a while though. Existing businesses will be 'grandfathered' in; this will only affect new construction. And a person would be a damned fool to start a new business in Philly.
0

#14 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 11,463
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 07 December 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

:lol:

Like this guy?

Spoiler



Graphic and in poor taste; unfortunately, we hear these refrains almost every single time.


View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 07 December 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

The article should read, "Philadelphia is one step closer to getting rid of many of its small businesses..." Apparently their 'solution' to crime is to get all the potential targets to move out.

It'll probably take a while though. Existing businesses will be 'grandfathered' in; this will only affect new construction. And a person would be a damned fool to start a new business in Philly.


If I were looking to open a new business, I would consider a city other than Philadelphia: Watts, South Central, Chicago, Ferguson, Baltimore, Charlottesville... Nevermind, I'm probably safer working for a mega-corporation like Google in its downtown Portland office.
0

#15 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 24,722
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 07 December 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

SO how does cracking down on bullet proof glass stop loitering, crime and public urination?

I am thinking arresting and moving vagabonds out of those places will solve that.

It doesn't.

But the intended goal appears to be for it to force some businesses out and other businesses to take over their customer base.

Follow the money folks.

It's all about he money.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 07 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

0

#16 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 24,722
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 07 December 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

:lol:

Like this guy?

https://s7.postimg.org/gu72hfzej/dindu.jpg

They also forgot:

He's turnin' his life around.

He just started college.

He just got a job to feed his chilren.
0

#17 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 24,722
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

View Postlinewinder, on 07 December 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

Sounds like you are talking about gun control.
Why pass laws that take away a persons right to
self defense just to control the law breakers.

Now they're taking away a person's ability to not be shot.

Remember that the Obamunist and several blue states tried to enact a ban on body armor/bulletproof vests?
0

#18 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 17,373
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 07 December 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

If I were looking to open a new business, I would consider a city other than Philadelphia: Watts, South Central, Chicago, Ferguson, Baltimore, Charlottesville... Nevermind, I'm probably safer working for a mega-corporation like Google in its downtown Portland office.


Funny you should mention Portland. When I started the "Smithee Organization" in '08 I lived in Portland, near east side, "Grant Park" area roughly 33rd and Broadway.

And I located my business in.... wait for it.... NOT Portland. Forest Grove OR, actually. Just west of Hillsboro in reasonably conservative Washington County NOT Multnomah County. "Rutabaga Capital of the World".
0

#19 User is offline   Howsithangin 

  • I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 25,005
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:34 PM

View PostDJGoody, on 07 December 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

[size="7"][b]
Philadelphia is one step closer to getting rid of bulletproof glass in many of its small businesses as part of a larger effort to crack down on loitering, public urination and potential drug sales -- but it's triggered backlash from the shopkeepers.


The stated goal is great. So how is this supposed to accomplish it?
0

#20 User is offline   Italian Biker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,353
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:10 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 07 December 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

What happens if a shopkeeper shoots an innocent by-stander? Or worse - he shoots "a troubled youth who was turning his life around"?

And that troubled youth was just trying to get money for clothes to go to school.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users