RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Minnesotaís New Game: Who Wants To Be A Senator? - RightNation.US

Minnesotaís New Game: Who Wants To Be A Senator? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

Minnesotaís New Game: Who Wants To Be A Senator?

HotAir
Ed Morrissey
Posted at 2:41 pm on December 7, 2017

Excerpt:

Thatís not just a rhetorical question, either. In the present political environment, both in Minnesota and in Washington, who in their right mind would want Al Frankenís job? Mark Dayton released a statement this morning after Franken announced his intention to resign from the Senate laying out the timetable for his choice for an interim replacement:

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC

NEW: MN Gov. Mark Dayton on Sen. Al Franken's resignation announcement: "I have not yet decided on my appointment to fill this upcoming vacancy. I expect to make and announce my decision in the next couple of days." http://abcn.ws/2joNOcE

9:14 AM - 7 Dec 2017

*snip*

The Star Tribune reports that Dayton has indicated that he will send his lieutenant governor to replace Franken for now. Tina Smith, Daytonís chief of staff in his first term, is not expected to run for office again, which (as I noted earlier today) might create some real problems for the DFL:

Lt. Gov. Tina Smith is likely to be Gov. Mark Daytonís choice to replace Sen. Al Franken if he resigns as expected, which would set in motion a cascade of job openings and reshape Minnesota politics.

A high-ranking Democratic source told the Star Tribune on Wednesday that Smith, a close ally to Dayton and longtime DFL insider, is his likeliest choice to replace Franken. Under that scenario, Smith would serve as a temporary replacement who would not run for the seat in a November 2018 special election.

The strategy of sending a caretaker to the Senate is probably for Dayton to avoid picking sides while playing kingmaker. Daytonís not going to run again for office either, and certainly not the Senate, where he turned out to be so bad that Time Magazine once named him among the five worst Senators in Washington. So why not use his entirely legitimate authority to give someone who could win statewide a head start on doing so?

This also is no mere academic question. Democrats already had to defend 25 incumbent Senate seats in 2018, while Republicans only have to defend eight. This forces Democrats to defend a 26th seat, and their resources are already stretched thin as it is. A food fight in the state caucuses and primary over the nomination will exhaust the state DFL and might require national money to resolve ó national money that simply may not materialize.

So who does want to enter the Frankenless food fight?

*snip*

The Rest

#2 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

Minnesota is fricken COLD. I grew up in northern Ohio and southern Indiana. And I've done (temporary) engineering projects in Alaska and Montana and Wyoming in the middle of winter. But never had to live there.

How come nobody from Florida ever needs to be replaced??? I'm available. :salute: :wave: Georgia too for that matter, if they ever need someone in GA-11.

#3 User is offline   east dallasite 

• I like beer...
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Okay, I had to look it up. DFL = Democratic - Farmer - Labor party. Good golly!

#4 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:37 PM

View Posteast dallasite, on 07 December 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Thank you. I wondered too and meant to look it up but got distracted and forgot. :P

#5 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

I was assuming the DF part stood for DumbF###er.

Pardon me for my error.

#6 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostLiz, on 07 December 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

Thank you. I wondered too and meant to look it up but got distracted and forgot. :P

https://image.prntscr.com/image/bKN4O_NBTaCDKJ3EFCr4ew.png

#7 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:41 AM

As someone from Minnesota, that also lives here, I can tell you that DFL does not stand for Democrat-Farmer-Laborer. It stands for Dumb-F-ing-Liberal.

As DAS said; it does get cold, but for only 6 months out of the year.

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 07 December 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

Minnesota is fricken COLD. I grew up in northern Ohio and southern Indiana. And I've done (temporary) engineering projects in Alaska and Montana and Wyoming in the middle of winter. But never had to live there.

How come nobody from Florida ever needs to be replaced??? I'm available. :salute: :wave: Georgia too for that matter, if they ever need someone in GA-11.

How about Arizona?

I had to go to a few techie conferences in Rochester, MN in the winter. Itís like a bone chilling, dry cold, with wind that never lets up. They do have a nice system of underground sidewalks leading to hotels and the Mayo Clinic.

#9 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostLadybird, on 08 December 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

How about Arizona?

I had to go to a few techie conferences in Rochester, MN in the winter. Itís like a bone chilling, dry cold, with wind that never lets up. They do have a nice system of underground sidewalks leading to hotels and the Mayo Clinic.

Yep, I like the underground mall in Rochester.

#10 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

View PostLadybird, on 08 December 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

How about Arizona?

You can have Arizona, too.

Intel corp in Chandler AZ just S of Phoenix is one of my clients. (And I think someone here used to work for Moto down the street :wave:). I've been there in the middle of August. Swear to god you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. Step out the door and the heat just takes your breath away, sort of like standing too close to an oven when you open the door.

"But it's a dry heat" people tell me. To heck with that, give me at least some humidity. Maybe I'm the odd one out here (okay, don't answer that) but if it's 95įF out, I expect 95% humidity; I'm accustomed to it.

Yeah, I know that scientifically, 95įF with 95% humidity is (theoretically) a "Heat Index" of 130. But, having BEEN in the middle east at 130F and near-zero humidity, I can vouch: It AIN'T the same. I'll take the 95/95 of Florida and Georgia ANY day over that.

#11 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

I wouldn't know about MN, but is it okay to wonder how MN unlike some of the Midwest get so liberal? What do some in the Midwest mean by "Midwestern Values"? I would think that MN would be more Conservative or is the Midwest more liberal than I believed? This is just off-topic.

This post has been edited by Diamond369: 10 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

#12 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostDiamond369, on 10 December 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

I wouldn't know about MN, but is it okay to wonder how MN unlike some of the Midwest get so liberal? What do some in the Midwest mean by "Midwestern Values"? I would think that MN would be more Conservative or is the Midwest more liberal than I believed? This is just off-topic.

MN has a big metropolitan area - Minneapolis/St Paul - and big cities tend to be 'blue', COUPLED WITH a lot of rural farms that are now slaves to government subsidies; approximately 1/7th of all 'farm aid' in the US goes to MN ($590mil out of $4B total, 2014) despite Minnesota accounting for only 1/34th of US farmland (27 mil acres out of 915 mil acres).

Minneapolis Star-Tribune (Nov. 2015): Safety-net of farm subsidies rolls out for Minnesota corn, soybean producers. Naturally, just in time for the 2016 election season.

#13 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:23 PM

Dean Adam Smithee, on 07 December 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

I have friends from Winnipeg who said that in college during spring break they'd drive down to North Dakota to warm up...

#14 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:29 PM

Dean Adam Smithee, on 08 December 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

You can have Arizona, too.

Intel corp in Chandler AZ just S of Phoenix is one of my clients. (And I think someone here used to work for Moto down the street :wave:). I've been there in the middle of August. Swear to god you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. Step out the door and the heat just takes your breath away, sort of like standing too close to an oven when you open the door.

"But it's a dry heat" people tell me. To heck with that, give me at least some humidity. Maybe I'm the odd one out here (okay, don't answer that) but if it's 95įF out, I expect 95% humidity; I'm accustomed to it.

Yeah, I know that scientifically, 95įF with 95% humidity is (theoretically) a "Heat Index" of 130. But, having BEEN in the middle east at 130F and near-zero humidity, I can vouch: It AIN'T the same. I'll take the 95/95 of Florida and Georgia ANY day over that.

You ARE the odd one.... but, on this one I agree 100%. May 5th a couple of years ago, arrived in Phoenix 11pm, it was still 100F. But, I was told, it's "dry heat".

South Florida's 92F, 95% humidity is waaaayyyyyy better for me than Phoenix 108F, 40% humidity, or whatever it is.

In fact, summer in Palm Beach is waaayyyy better than summer in Washington DC or Philly or NYC or.... but when challenged, I tell everyone that they're right, and please don't move to south Florida.

#15 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 07 December 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

I was assuming the DF part stood for DumbF###er.

Pardon me for my error.

It's DumbF###ingLibtard

#16 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

Depending on what happens today in Alabama, will decide whether Franken stays in the Senate. If Moore wins, he will stay.

#17 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

View Postzurg, on 10 December 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

I have friends from Winnipeg who said that in college during spring break they'd drive down to North Dakota to warm up...

Yep. Been to Winnipeg a few times, myself, as well as Thunder Bay and a few other spots. Love Canada, for the most part, but more the Central and West, anything East of Windsor can stay there.

#18 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostTea Party Hooligan, on 12 December 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Yep. Been to Winnipeg a few times, myself, as well as Thunder Bay and a few other spots. Love Canada, for the most part, but more the Central and West, anything East of Windsor can stay there.

:wave:

Engineering projects for Petro Canada just north of Edmonton AB, And Shell Canada in Sarnia ON, plus a Cement plant somewhere north of Sudbury ON. I think it was called "Frozen Moose Butt" ON or something.

AW, Hell no. Ain't no way you'll ever get ME back to any of those places. Until times become lean. THEN I can be had like a $20 hooker on South Orange Blossom trail in Orlando.

#19 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:48 PM

Tea Party Hooligan, on 12 December 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Depending on what happens today in Alabama, will decide whether Franken stays in the Senate. If Moore wins, he will stay.

Nailed it.

#20 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 December 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

:wave:

Engineering projects for Petro Canada just north of Edmonton AB, And Shell Canada in Sarnia ON, plus a Cement plant somewhere north of Sudbury ON. I think it was called "Frozen Moose Butt" ON or something.

AW, Hell no. Ain't no way you'll ever get ME back to any of those places. Until times become lean. THEN I can be had like a $20 hooker on South Orange Blossom trail in Orlando.

:biglaugh:

So I did jinx myself with bragging on our lack of snow so far. The lakes have been dumping on us for days..
Went to a Bills game on Sunday. There may be a fan boycott, but upstate fans are loyal and hardcore.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/nintchdbpict000372472782.jpg?strip=all&w=922&quality=100

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users