RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Police: Off-Duty Dallas Officer Fatally Shoots Man After Going Into - RightNation.US

Police: Off-Duty Dallas Officer Fatally Shoots Man After Going Into Wrong Apartment Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

POLICE: OFF-DUTY DALLAS OFFICER FATALLY SHOOTS MAN AFTER GOING INTO WRONG APARTMENT

Friday, September 07, 2018 09:52AM

DALLAS, Texas - A Dallas police officer returning home from work shot and killed a neighbor after she said she mistook his apartment for her own, police said Friday.

The officer called dispatch to report that she had shot the man Thursday night, police said. She told responding officers that she believed the victim's apartment was her own when she entered it.

The responding officers administered first aid to the victim, whom the Dallas County medical examiner's office identified as 26-year-old Botham Jean. He was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead.

Police haven't released the name of the officer, who wasn't injured. She will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, police said.

Authorities haven't said how the officer got into Jean's home, or whether his door was open or unlocked.

At a Friday morning news conference, Sgt. Warren Mitchell acknowledged there are many questions about what happened that he couldn't answer.

<snip>

Link

I have gone to the wrong hotel room door a few times, but never mistook my own place for anotherís.

#2 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

View PostLadybird, on 07 September 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

POLICE: OFF-DUTY DALLAS OFFICER FATALLY SHOOTS MAN AFTER GOING INTO WRONG APARTMENT

Friday, September 07, 2018 09:52AM

DALLAS, Texas - A Dallas police officer returning home from work shot and killed a neighbor after she said she mistook his apartment for her own, police said Friday.

The officer called dispatch to report that she had shot the man Thursday night, police said. She told responding officers that she believed the victim's apartment was her own when she entered it.

The responding officers administered first aid to the victim, whom the Dallas County medical examiner's office identified as 26-year-old Botham Jean. He was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead.

Police haven't released the name of the officer, who wasn't injured. She will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, police said.

Authorities haven't said how the officer got into Jean's home, or whether his door was open or unlocked.

At a Friday morning news conference, Sgt. Warren Mitchell acknowledged there are many questions about what happened that he couldn't answer.

<snip>

Link

I have gone to the wrong hotel room door a few times, but never mistook my own place for anotherís.

Same here, I have how ever mistook someone else car for mine. Worse, I even got in and almost started it.

Oki

#3 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:58 AM

View Postoki, on 07 September 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Same here, I have how ever mistook someone else car for mine. Worse, I even got in and almost started it.

Oki

Oh yeah, I do that all the time. Never got in though. People lock their doors here.

#4 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

They should be more careful of who they hand a badge and gun to?

This woman is a total idiot and deserves prison for manslaughter.

But I predict that nothing will happen to her.

#5 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:12 AM

I'm the "wait for the facts" type but there's always "more to the story". I question whether this was simply "walking into the wrong apartment". If I'm proven wrong, so be it.

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 September 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

I have, but it was after we'd only lived here about a week or so. It was late at night, I was both physically exhausted and sleepy, and probably a bit too much beer, LOL. I went to what I thought was my door, found it locked, found my key didn't work, and then it finally dawned on me I'd gone one-too-many staircases from my parking place.

Oops. :blush: Good thing there was nobody home at that other apt, or I might've gotten shot too.

Well that's understandable, since cars nowadays all look alike. I even started a thread a year or two ago proving that point. Anybody remember that thread?

B)

#7 User is offline   Jax 

• Big Cat
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

Oki

I've done the same. In my defense, it was literally the exact same car as mine, parked right next to mine, and unlocked. But boy, oh boy, did I feel sheepish!

Something tells me there's quite a bit more to this story than we've heard thus far.

#8 User is online   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:38 PM

Without knowing what happened I can picture it. Guy sees someone come into his home, gets up to say "What the....BANG! Unfortunate mistake. Her lawyer says she was in fear of her life and made an oops. Maybe involuntary manslaughter. Maybe less if the guy had a record.
Mark

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 September 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Oh yeah, I do that all the time. Never got in though. People lock their doors here.

In Japan(at least in the 90's) keys where often interchangeable, damn near all the cars where white, and having two even three cars exactly the same side by side by side was not uncommon. That's when I learned to try and remember my plate #. This was of coarse before key fobs and remote alarm systems, so know I am thinking it's probably not that common any more. Not sure hit the button on your key.

Oki

#10 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 September 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

I have, but it was after we'd only lived here about a week or so. It was late at night, I was both physically exhausted and sleepy, and probably a bit too much beer, LOL. I went to what I thought was my door, found it locked, found my key didn't work, and then it finally dawned on me I'd gone one-too-many staircases from my parking place.

Oops. :blush: Good thing there was nobody home at that other apt, or I might've gotten shot too.

Well that's understandable, since cars nowadays all look alike. I even started a thread a year or two ago proving that point. Anybody remember that thread?

B)

Even worse(at that time at least), the car I had 86 or 87 Toyata Carina ED(or Ed's as they where nicknamed) The U.S. version was a Camry and they where extremely popular. Damn near all where sold in white, any other color was extra $ $. Damn near all where sold with the same interior. I had the slightly higher model with the stronger engine and nicer wheels, but so did a lot of other people. I think it was the Camp Foster PX the first time I unlocked the doors and get into someone else car by mistake. Something just didn't feel right. I looked around and noticed something missing, forget exactly what but that's when I though oh crap! Got out, locked the doors and hoped no one saw especially the owner.

It was such a problem that even out Battalion Commander mentioned to be careful about this on one occasion. I think he even said he had done it. This is it.
https://www.youtube....h?v=G8S_G9VwHcM

Oki

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

View Postsearcher, on 07 September 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

Without knowing what happened I can picture it. Guy sees someone come into his home, gets up to say "What the....BANG! Unfortunate mistake. Her lawyer says she was in fear of her life and made an oops. Maybe involuntary manslaughter. Maybe less if the guy had a record.
Mark

I doubt he had a record, not that it should make any difference. She entered his place.

He was a native of St. Lucia and worked as an accountant.
http://www.foxnews.c...police-say.html

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

View PostJax, on 07 September 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

I've done the same. In my defense, it was literally the exact same car as mine, parked right next to mine, and unlocked. But boy, oh boy, did I feel sheepish!

Something tells me there's quite a bit more to this story than we've heard thus far.

What makes it even worse for me is I was fixing cars on the side at that time. How did I solve the problem? Got a car that was a little less common. This is the car I had last(and longest) when I was in Japan.
https://www.youtube....h?v=r54RDiqpxn8

Oki

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 September 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

B)

Iíve never been tired enough for that, but after a particular hard week of back to back double shifts, I parked and slept for about ten hours. In the morning I found my car unlocked with the windows down, the keys in the ignition, and a Shell credit card sitting out in the open.

#14 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

View Postoki, on 07 September 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Even worse(at that time at least), the car I had 86 or 87 Toyata Carina ED(or Ed's as they where nicknamed) The U.S. version was a Camry and they where extremely popular. Damn near all where sold in white, any other color was extra $ $. Damn near all where sold with the same interior. I had the slightly higher model with the stronger engine and nicer wheels, but so did a lot of other people. I think it was the Camp Foster PX the first time I unlocked the doors and get into someone else car by mistake. Something just didn't feel right. I looked around and noticed something missing, forget exactly what but that's when I though oh crap! Got out, locked the doors and hoped no one saw especially the owner.

It was such a problem that even out Battalion Commander mentioned to be careful about this on one occasion. I think he even said he had done it. This is it.
https://www.youtube....h?v=G8S_G9VwHcM

Oki

Yeah, and it's only gotten worse. Back in the mid-80s there were still at least a few differences between makes & models. Not so much anymore. Lemme show you what I mean: Click Here to see the top ten best-selling cars currently on the market. You'll see Chevy, Hyundai, Ford, Nissan, Honda and Toyota all represented. When looking at the pictures, imagine they were all the same color.

THEY ALL LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME.

I am so nostalgic for the old days when you could always tell the difference between a Ford and a Chevy, between a Buick and a Dodge, between an Oldsmobile and a Chrysler, etc etc etc, even from a mile away.

:(

View PostLadybird, on 07 September 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Iíve never been tired enough for that, but after a particular hard week of back to back double shifts, I parked and slept for about ten hours. In the morning I found my car unlocked with the windows down, the keys in the ignition, and a Shell credit card sitting out in the open.

Wow, you got lucky.

:o

#15 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 September 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

I doubt he had a record, not that it should make any difference. She entered his place.

He was a native of St. Lucia and worked as an accountant.
http://www.foxnews.c...police-say.html

I had to shoot, he just kept coming at me, I told him to stop but he just kept walking towards me mumbling "tax audit...what are your 401ks doing...audit...audit."

This cop needs to never be trusted with a gun again.

#16 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostSeverian, on 07 September 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

I had to shoot, he just kept coming at me, I told him to stop but he just kept walking towards me mumbling "tax audit...what are your 401ks doing...audit...audit."

This cop needs to never be trusted with a gun again.

Fiduciary!

If this man owned gun and used it when this officer entered his apartment, he'd be sitting in jail.

#17 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 September 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

Fiduciary!

If this man owned gun and used it when this officer entered his apartment, he'd be sitting in jail.

Not in Indiana.

They passed a law allowing the use of deadly force against an unlawful attack/entry upon a resident by the police.

#18 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostRock N, on 07 September 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Not in Indiana.

They passed a law allowing the use of deadly force against an unlawful attack/entry upon a resident by the police.

That's a good thing. I can't remember the mans name, but I recall a case where a man was tried and convicted, and landed on death row, because he killed a policeman who entered his house during a no knock raid, but it was the wrong address. It was somewhere down south and the officer who was killed had many relatives on the force. It was in the 80's. Or the 90's.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 07 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

#19 User is online   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 September 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

That's a good thing. I can't remember the mans name, but I recall a case where a man was tried and convicted, and landed on death row, because he killed a policeman who entered his house during a no knock raid, but it was the wrong address. It was somewhere down south and the officer who was killed had many relatives on the force. It was in the 80's. Or the 90's.

I know of one in Oregon. It involved a motorcycle club. His lawyer finally got him out several years later.
Mark

#20 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

She's now being charged with manslaughter.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users