RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 9/11 and my friend Ken Marino FDNY Rescue 1 - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9/11 and my friend Ken Marino FDNY Rescue 1 9/11 remembrance Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   helton 

• Blueberries good, liberals bad!
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

I was working for U.S. Customs at 6 WTC in 1993 and on 9/11. Ken was my friend from my Stratomatic baseball league who worked with the elite Rescue 1 Squad in Manhattan. They never recovered his body, only his helmet.

His wife and 2 young children visited the firehouse just one hour before the first plane hit. His kids were 3 and 1 years old. His family was robbed of a husband and a father. He was a good man who did not deserve to die that day, in that way.

When the bomb exploded in '93, it felt like a manhole cover explosion. When the plane hit in 2001, I was on the 4th floor. It felt like another manhole cover explosion, but we did not know what happened. This time I didn't wait. As a fire warden, I yelled for everyone to get the f-ck out. I was on the WTC Concourse in 2 minutes.

Looking up, I saw a giant hole with black smoke and flames. You almost forgot how tall the Towers were until you looked straight up at them. Then I saw bodies coming out of the sky and exploding on impact. OMG! Holy sh!t!

I ran towards 7 WTC and as I did, I could see 1 WTC in flames due to the mirrored exterior of 7 WTC. I entered 7 WTC and ran down the escalator to Vesey St. I had driven to work for the past few months due to a back injury suffered earlier that year in a car accident, so I was parked in a WTC garage.

I hustled towards West St where the U.S. Customs garage was located. Since I was always an early person (to avoid traffic in the morning), I was parked in the spot closest to the exit. 2 of our guards tried to stop me from entering. I said get out of my way.

As I was leaving the garage to turn onto West St, a cop stopped me and told me to take a breath. I was in shock and didn't know it. He was right.

I composed myself and made the right onto West St. I went past Vesey St. heading north. As I headed north, I saw that southbound traffic had come to a complete standstill, so emergency vehicles were heading south in the northbound lanes.

As I approached Chambers St., I thought to maybe make a right and take it to the Brooklyn Bridge. Then I caught myself and reminded me that the Bklyn Bridge was a crapshoot on the best of days, so I continued north.

I was lucky because I hit no traffic heading up the West Side Highway to the Cross Bronx Expy and finally over the Whitestone Bridge, where I live 5 minutes away from.

I was home at 9:45 AM. If I had waited one more minute to drive away, my car would have been blocked by all of the emergency vehicles. I was the only person to get my car out of the WTC garage that day. I was lucky.

My friend Ken Marino was not. His favorite baseball player was Ken Griffey Jr. Junior opened his heart to the Marino family and showed them love and compassion throughout the years that followed. The only reason he did it was because he is one of the finest human beings on the planet.

When Junior was inducted into the HOF, he invited Ken's wife Katrina and their 2 children Kristin and Tyler to the ceremonies.

Check out the following links that describe the relationship between Junior and the Marinos:

http://www.kennymari...om/article2.htm

http://quinnmedia.bl...-all-class.html

https://abc7ny.com/s...r-9-11/1441225/

This post has been edited by helton: 11 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for that post, Helton.

Never Forget.

Never.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/solider-silhouette-american-flag-silhouette-solider-saluting-against-american-flag-103310141.jpg

#3 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:17 PM

Concur with Monty. Thanks for sharing the story helton. This day reminds us annually to remember the true victims of terrorism and to not give in to the insane world of (certain) agenda politics.

#4 User is offline   Jax 

• Big Cat
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:45 PM

Thank you for sharing your story, helton. I'm glad your instincts kicked in and you were able to get out of the area in time. What a crazy, scary day that was. And thank you for sharing Ken's story, as well.

#5 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

I have no words. Thank you, helton.

#6 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

To this day I still am amazed that there are stories I hadn't heard before.
Thanks.

#7 User is offline   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:20 PM

Thank you for the story Helton. I can only imagine. Being in Search and Rescue at the time watching the buildings come down on so many brothers and sisters, along with all the other people hurt bad. A cousin was working at the Pentagon at the time. It was right about 25 hours before we learned he was not in the building at the time the plane hit.

#8 User is offline   BARman29 

• Stay resolute.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

Thank you for sharing. No rational person alive could ever forget.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users