RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Bob Woodward Has A Trail Of Accuracy Issues That Nobody Is Talking Abo - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bob Woodward Has A Trail Of Accuracy Issues That Nobody Is Talking Abo Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

Bob Woodward Has A Trail Of Accuracy Issues That Nobody Is Talking About

• Bob Woodward’s new book “Fear” presents a scathing depiction of President Donald Trump’s administration.
  • Woodward has a muddy history with a trail of allegations that he embellished the truth or otherwise misled his readers.
  • Media coverage of Woodward’s book has been largely positive and ignores Woodward’s controversial record.

The Daily Caller
Peter Hasson | Reporter
9:28 PM 09/10/2018

Excerpt:

Longtime journalist Bob Woodward’s best-selling new book, “Fear,”presents a scathing depiction of President Donald Trump and his ability to perform his duties as commander-in-chief.

While senior Trump officials including Secretary of Defense James Mattis have denied quotations attributed to them in the book, media coverage of “Fear” has been largely positive, emphasizing the 75-year-old Woodward’s experience and trustworthiness.

But that coverage has left out part of the story: repeated, credible charges — including from well-respected fellow journalists — that in previous books Woodward embellished the truth, made dubious bombshell claims or was otherwise misleading.

Woodward’s former editor at the Washington Post, Ben Bradlee, though publicly complimentary of Woodward, privately doubted some of the more dramatic elements of Woodward and Carl Bernstein’s Watergate-era bestseller, “All The President’s Men.”
Bradlee and Woodward’s former assistant at the Post, Jeff Himmelman, revealed Bradlee’s nagging doubts in a 2012 biography of the longtime editor.

Bradlee gave Himmelman full access to his files, which revealed that details about Woodward’s relationship with infamous Watergate source “Deep Throat” gnawed at Bradlee years later. Details such as Woodward communicating with Deep Throat by placing a flag in a potted plant on his balcony, or their dozens of shadowy garage meetings.

“You know I have a little problem with Deep Throat,” Bradlee said to an assistant in a 1990 interview that he originally intended to use for a memoir but which remained private until Himmelman published his book.

“Did that potted [plant] incident ever happen? … and meeting in some garage. One meeting in the garage? Fifty meetings in the garage? I don’t know how many meetings in the garage … There’s a residual fear in my soul that that isn’t quite straight.”

Himmelman wrote that Woodward, fearful of the truth coming out, tried to pressure him into removing the damaging information from the book.

Himmelman’s book also revealed that Woodward and Bernstein misled the public for decades about another Watergate source, known as source “Z.”

“For four decades, Carl and Bob have insisted that the grand jurors they contacted had given them no information. For four decades, that story endured, as it was replayed in interviews and reread in library copies of All The President’s Men, and as Woodward and Bernstein and ­Bradlee became a holy trinity of newspaper journalism,” Himmelman wrote in a New York Magazine excerpt.

“But, according to the memo, it didn’t appear to be true: Z was no mystic; she was a grand juror in disguise, and had apparently broken the law by talking. Woodward and Bernstein had always denied it—in 1974, and as recently as 2011,” Himmelman wrote.

Woodward and Bernstein’s book described Z as someone “in a position to have considerable knowledge of the secret activities of the White House and [the Committee to Re-elect the President]” and quotes her saying: “My boss called it a whitewash.”

That was misleading for two reasons, Himmelman showed.

First, the second half of that quote (which Woodward and Bernstein left out) was: “and he [the boss] doesn’t even have the facts.”

Second, what Z’s boss thought about the case was far less relevant if her day job wasn’t directly related to the Nixon administration.

Woodward and Bernstein’s account “leads the reader to think some wise man of the Nixon administration, Z’s sage boss, was troubled by all the criminality there,” then-Fox News Washington correspondent James Rosen, a renowned Watergate historian, noted in a 2012 piece for The Atlantic. “It’s beyond misleading.”

Former FBI Director L.Patrick Gray III’s notes, published for the first time in a 2008 book by his son Ed Gray, similarly challenged Woodward and Bernstein’s account of Deep Throat.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:32 PM

I have been taught (by the lsm) that NONE of them can be trusted. I love the ability the net gives us to find news from multiple sources and see what is common among them, the same way I read history. Unfortunately, almost all of the lsm have the same garbage. Heck, I check cnn daily so I can see what the dimocrats want me to believe is news!

#3 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:59 PM

He's an arrogant asshat and his fast and loose version of documenting politicians and those around them is not only questionable, it's laughable that people believe his garbage.

#4 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

Woodward and Bernstein are muckrakers not truthsayers. They were able to make a career out of taking down a successful President who bucked the system and had an off putting personality. Woodward is hoping that lightning strikes a second time. Just like the first time, he is making sh!t up. Thanks to Al Gore's internet, Woodward has to put up or GFH.

This post has been edited by gravelrash: 11 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

#5 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:00 PM

I believe (based on the specifics he has emphasized and themes he has cultivated) that Woodward has been recruited by the elite media heads as well as some of the elite swamp for one reason: prove that the leftwing (ie mainstream) media aren’t fake news.

Because Trump hit a major nerve with his fake news comment. Fake news is the media’s lifeblood. Without it they wither away and die.

#6 User is offline   timster 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:02 AM

Re: Bob Woodward Has A Trail Of Accuracy Issues That Nobody Is Talking Abo

Books about U.S. Presidents written by Bob Woodward and/or Carl Bernstein:

Nixon (2) - All the President's Men & The Final Days — Woodward & Bernstein.
Ford, Carter, Reagan – None.
G.H.Bush (1) The Commanders – Woodward.
Clinton (2) - The Agenda & The Choice – Woodward.
G.W. Bush (4) - Bush at War, Plan of Attack, State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III & War Within: A Secret White House History.
Obama (2) - Obama's Wars & The Price of Politics – Woodward.
Trump (1) – Fear - Woodward.

What I find interesting is neither Woodward or Bernstein that along with 99% rest of the “pressitutes” refuse(d) to truly investigate Obama and his administration the way Obama should have been investigated. Where have all the real journalists gone?!?

#7 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

View PostLiz, on 11 September 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

Bob Woodward Has A Trail Of Accuracy Issues That Nobody Is Talking About

That "Nobody is Talking About?"

Well, I would say that, with the exception of group-think/lock-step leftists and their lap-dog media, pretty much everyone is talking about it.

#8 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

Funny thing really, in a court of law anonymous or unnamed sources cannot be used as evidence to prosecute someone.
But in the court of Public opinion and fake news it's more than good enough. Crazy how that works.

Oki

#9 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:54 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 11 September 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

Woodward and Bernstein are muckrakers not truthsayers. They were able to make a career out of taking down a successful President who bucked the system and had an off putting personality. Woodward is hoping that lightning strikes a second time. Just like the first time, he is making sh!t up. Thanks to Al Gore's internet, Woodward has to put up or GFH.

Seriously?. You think that's all that was wrong with Nixon?. The man could have been a great President, but the man was also corrupt.

Woodward and Bernstein made stuff up about Nixon and Watergate?. Again, seriously?.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 12 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

#10 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

View Postscotsman, on 12 September 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Seriously?. You think that's all that was wrong with Nixon?. The man could have been a great President, but the man was also corrupt.

Woodward and Bernstein made stuff up about Nixon and Watergate?. Again, seriously?.

Yes, seriously. Nixon's downfall wasn't the crime. It was the cover-up. Read the OP. Woodward and Bernstein fabricated "Deep Throat" out of multiple leakers and "anonymous" sources.

None of their reporting would stand as evidence in a court of law. The Democrats circumvented that by using the threat of impeachment which is a Congressional not a judicial process. It's what they're trying to do to Trump.

#11 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 12 September 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

Yes, seriously. Nixon's downfall wasn't the crime. It was the cover-up. Read the OP. Woodward and Bernstein fabricated "Deep Throat" out of multiple leakers and "anonymous" sources.

None of their reporting would stand as evidence in a court of law. The Democrats circumvented that by using the threat of impeachment which is a Congressional not a judicial process. It's what they're trying to do to Trump.

Thanks for the reply, it clears up for me where you are coming from. I was worried you were trying to claim he did nothing wrong.

Nixon did some great things and is a tragedy, he could have been IMO one of the top 5 of all time, but he blew it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users