RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Angry over diversity in children's show, NRA TV depicts 'Thoma - RightNation.US

Angry over diversity in children's show, NRA TV depicts 'Thoma Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:07 PM

Angry over diversity in children's show, NRA TV depicts 'Thomas & Friends' in KKK hoods

Published 11:08 p.m. ET Sept. 12, 2018 | Updated 3:24 p.m. ET Sept. 13, 2018
Using a jarring image to blast increased diversity on a children's TV show, a National Rifle Association online show depicted characters from "Thomas & Friends" in white, Ku Klux Klan-style hoods on burning train tracks.

Host of NRA TV's "Relentless," Dana Loesch went after the classic children's character Thomas The Tank Engine after its maker, Mattel, joined forces with the United Nations in efforts to increase gender diversity and representation on the program and include new characters from around the globe.

Loesch, a conservative spokeswomen for the gun rights group, specifically called out one new character Ė Nia, a steam engine from Kenya.

"That's where it gets really strange to me," Loesch says on Friday's episode. "Am I to understand this entire time that Thomas and his trains were white? Because they all have gray faces. How do you bring ethnic diversity? I mean they had to paint what I guess they thought was some sort of African pattern on the side of Nia's engine."

<snip>

Link

#2 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

While using K.K.K. hoods and a burning track is a bit much(to say the least), how in the hell do you 'add diversity' when all the characters are Gray in the first damn place. After all is true diversity about tolerating even ideas and opinions you don't agree with, no matter how vile? Maybe just maybe Nick Jr. should in fact take one of those K.K.K. engines show it as a vile little bugger, but also show the others showing tolerance and patience and then show the engine learning, changing, and becoming something better.

Oki

#3 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

I love the headline. Not only "ANGRY" but "ANGRY OVER DIVERSITY". God, you people never stop.

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

View Postoki, on 13 September 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

While using K.K.K. hoods and a burning track is a bit much(to say the least), how in the hell do you 'add diversity' when all the characters are Gray in the first damn place. After all is true diversity about tolerating even ideas and opinions you don't agree with, no matter how vile? Maybe just maybe Nick Jr. should in fact take one of those K.K.K. engines show it as a vile little bugger, but also show the others showing tolerance and patience and then show the engine learning, changing, and becoming something better.

Oki

According to the Mattel spokesman they want to appeal to a wider global audience, and attract more girls.

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:08 PM

"That's where it gets really strange to me," Loesch says on Friday's episode. "Am I to understand this entire time that Thomas and his trains were white? Because they all have gray faces. How do you bring ethnic diversity? I mean they had to paint what I guess they thought was some sort of African pattern on the side of Nia's engine."

The program cut to an image with three trains wearing white hoods and tracks on fire. "Fair, I get it," Loesch sarcastically says. "Thomas the Tank Engine has been a blight on race relations for far too long. Clearly this is overdue."

LOL

I love not only the sarcasm, but the way it causes some people to openly demonstrate their incapacity to understand sarcasm.

:lol:

#6 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostLadybird, on 13 September 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

According to the Mattel spokesman they want to appeal to a wider global audience, and attract more girls.

Again, isn't diversity supposed to be tolerating those that are different, TO INCLUDE DIFFERENT VIEWS AND BELIEFS?
Plus, if all the trains where black(which old Locomotives actually where), then why not bring in a white engine from America?
The N.R.A. was over the top with what they did, but this is stupid on Nick Jr's part. Besides that Thomas the Train is actually British. Just as Peppa Pig, just as Pocoyo is a number of other shows on Nick Jr. Let's also not forget Teletubbies.

Oki

#7 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:27 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 September 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

LOL

I love not only the sarcasm, but the way it causes some people to openly demonstrate their incapacity to understand sarcasm.

Sheldon Cooperish isn't it. :rofl:

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

View PostSARGE, on 13 September 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

http://sheldoncooper.org/wp-content/uploads/_sheldon-cooper-4.jpg

"Huh? I don't get it..."

(;))

#9 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

View Postoki, on 13 September 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Again, isn't diversity supposed to be tolerating those that are different, TO INCLUDE DIFFERENT VIEWS AND BELIEFS?
Plus, if all the trains where black(which old Locomotives actually where), then why not bring in a white engine from America?
The N.R.A. was over the top with what they did, but this is stupid on Nick Jr's part. Besides that Thomas the Train is actually British. Just as Peppa Pig, just as Pocoyo is a number of other shows on Nick Jr. Let's also not forget Teletubbies.

Oki

These people are trying to sell toys. Maybe this is what their ad men (and women) told them to do.

And yes, the Klan burning up the tracks imagery is over the top.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 13 September 2018 - 05:03 PM

#10 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

Gawd but do I loathe Thomas and Friends.

My son, who is now seven, was obsessed with them at 4 and 5. He knew every trains name and story.

And Nia is not the first ethnic train. They had a Latino train painted yellow. Fernando was his name, I think.

So thankful he is not into this crap anymore. Itís all about Star Wars now.

#11 User is offline   corporal_little 

• What is your major malfunction....

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

View PostSARGE, on 13 September 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

You guys are too nice. They understand that itís sarcasm. Itís just a dishonest chance to feign outrage.

#12 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:30 PM

View Postcorporal_little, on 13 September 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

You guys are too nice. They understand that itís sarcasm. Itís just a dishonest chance to feign outrage.

You're right, of course. I was just trying to "check" my "gray privilege".

;)

#13 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

What is really odd is that US tv felt they needed to change the name of the British original.

'Thomas the Tank Engine' is hardly obtuse to a small child.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 13 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

#14 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

View Postscotsman, on 13 September 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

What is really odd is that US tv felt they needed to change the name of the British original.

I think renaming has more to do with copyright than comprehension. Wham! was officially Wham!(UK) in the United States. Same band with lead singer George Michael and the racecar guy Andrew Ridgley. Same songs and videos. Because of licensing and distribution, they had to tweak the name.

#15 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:06 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 13 September 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

I think renaming has more to do with copyright than comprehension. Wham! was officially Wham!(UK) in the United States. Same band with lead singer George Michael and the racecar guy Andrew Ridgley. Same songs and videos. Because of licensing and distribution, they had to tweak the name.

In America, didn't "Thomas" first appear in "Shining Time Station"?

(The only reason I know that is because of Ringo Starr's participation.)

B)

#16 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:12 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 September 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

The program cut to an image with three trains wearing white hoods and tracks on fire. "Fair, I get it," Loesch sarcastically says. "Thomas the Tank Engine has been a blight on race relations for far too long. Clearly this is overdue."

LOL

:lol:

:exactly:

#17 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:14 PM

View PostLadybird, on 13 September 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

These people are trying to sell toys. Maybe this is what their ad men (and women) told them to do.

And yes, the Klan burning up the tracks imagery is over the top.

No, they are actually selling political indoctrination to children.

They can keep their warped agendas away from under-aged impressionable children.

#18 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

View Posterp, on 13 September 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Gawd but do I loathe Thomas and Friends.

My son, who is now seven, was obsessed with them at 4 and 5. He knew every trains name and story.

And Nia is not the first ethnic train. They had a Latino train painted yellow. Fernando was his name, I think.

So thankful he is not into this crap anymore. Itís all about Star Wars now.

That's nothing as compared to the Teletubbies or Barney the Dinosaur.

View Postcorporal_little, on 13 September 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

:yeahthat:

#19 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 13 September 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

I love the headline. Not only "ANGRY" but "ANGRY OVER DIVERSITY". God, you people never stop.

:exactly:

They just cannot stop lying no matter what.

#20 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

View Postscotsman, on 13 September 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

It suggests obesity. What century do you live in?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users