RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Manafort to cooperate with Mueller as part of plea deal - RightNation.US

Manafort to cooperate with Mueller as part of plea deal pending cooperation with the Mueller probe Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   That_Guy 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Manafort to cooperate with Mueller as part of plea deal
The plea deal calls for a cap on prison time and dismisses deadlocked charges from an earlier trial pending cooperation with the Mueller probe.
By JOSH GERSTEIN and DARREN SAMUELSOHN 09/14/2018
{too short to excerpt)

President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort has agreed to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller under a plea agreement revealed Friday.

Manafort appeared in a Washington, D.C., courtroom Friday morning, looking relaxed in a suit and purple tie, to formally announce the deal.

The deal dismisses deadlocked charges against Manafort from an earlier trial, but only after "successful cooperation” with Mueller’s probe into Russian election interference and whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Moscow on its efforts. Later, U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson said Manafort is agreeing to "cooperate fully and truthfully" with the investigation.

The agreement also calls for a 10-year cap on how long Manafort will be sent to prison, and for Manafort to serve time from his separate Virginia and Washington cases concurrently. But it will not release Manafort from jail, where he has been held since Mueller's team added witness tampering charges during the run-up to the longtime lobbyist's trial.

Manafort addressed Jackson in a soft voice, saying “I do” and “I understand” as she asked him whether he understood what rights he’s giving up. A deputy marshal stood directly behind Manafort, a reminder that he remains in custody.

Legal experts quickly spun the deal as a win for all the parties involved. Manafort gets a potentially shorter sentence and lessens his legal bills. Trump avoids several weeks of bad headlines ahead of the midterm elections about his corrupt former campaign aide. And Mueller — faced with Trump's constant claims that his probe is a witch hunt — gets to show yet again that his charges are not fabricated and can now divert resources to other elements of his Russia probe.

But the prospect of Manafort's cooperation with Mueller throws into doubt how much of a win the deal could be for Trump. In addition to running Trump's campaign for several months, Manafort attended the infamous Trump Tower meeting where Trump aides thought they might get dirt on Hillary Clinton from a Kremlin-linked lawyer.

In an interview with POLITICO on Wednesday, Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani insisted the president and his lawyers were not concerned about Manafort cutting a deal to resolve charges against him.

“We can see a reason why he might want to do that,” Giuliani said. “What’s the need for another trial?"

On Friday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders immediately distanced Trump and the White House from the agreement.

"This had absolutely nothing to do with the President or his victorious 2016 Presidential campaign," she said in a statement. "It is totally unrelated.”

Prosecutors signaled the pending deal Friday morning, filing a new slimmed-down set of charges against Manafort, reining in the felony counts pending against him in D.C. from seven to just two: conspiracy against the U.S. and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

Friday's move scuttles a high-profile second trial Manafort was expected to face in Washington on foreign-lobbying and money laundering charges brought by Mueller — a spectacle that could have been an embarrassing distraction for Trump and the White House in the lead-up to the November midterm elections.

LINK

#2 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

:yawn:

#3 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

Nothing to do with Trump.

#4 User is offline   GrimV 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

I’ll wait for the Liberal bullsh*t to run it’s course and the truth to finally shake loose before drawing a conclusion.

So far this plea deal is a little lean on specifics.

#5 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:27 PM

I love the smell of Leftist desperation in the morning. . .

#6 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostThat_Guy, on 14 September 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

In addition to running Trump's campaign for several months, Manafort attended the infamous Trump Tower meeting where Trump aides thought they might get dirt on Hillary Clinton from a Kremlin-linked lawyer.

Natalia Veselnitskaya. She is so important to the Mueller investigation that the writers of the OP don't mention her by name.

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:39 PM

View Postmjperry51, on 14 September 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

And desperation it is.

If it hadn't been for all the years I've been witnessing leftist lunacy and stupidity, I might be surprised by this latest episode.

But nope, can't pretend I'm surprised.

:yawn:

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 14 September 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

Nothing to do with Trump.

Only Manafort and Muellers team know for sure right now.

#9 User is offline   LSJ 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

View PostLadybird, on 14 September 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

What's it like to live in such a fantasy land?

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

:giggle:

#11 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:04 PM

View PostLSJ, on 14 September 2018 - 01:54 PM, said:

What's it like to live in such a fantasy land?

Some days are

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eIjbwNNtFZQ/UZECKUTZOsI/AAAAAAAABxc/g37b-Oq_khs/s400/ricardo+montalban.JPG

Others are

https://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kirk-khan..jpg

#12 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:09 PM

That_Guy…. how long are you going to continue falling for the dangling carrot? This is just another attempt by the Left to keep their minions distracted from the truth. If you think about the days leading up the election, who was it that was hitting 3 / 4 rallies every day and who was burned out? Who assumed the election was in the bag? President Trump wasn't the one falling down stairs, into a plane or being loaded into a van, along with everything else, Hillary's health was an issue. The vast majority of Trump voters did so because they were concerned about the Supreme Court, the out of control invasion of Illegals, the deficit, lack of jobs and Clinton's corruption. Do yourself a favor and accept reality, Hillary Clinton lost because she was a lousy candidate, while Donald Trump offered voters a different direction for the country. Russia was NEVER a factor.

This post has been edited by NH Populist: 14 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

#13 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Okay - let's review what we do know about Manafort/Mueller.
None of the previous Manafort/Gates indictments/convictions involve Trump or the campaign and the asserted Russian collusion.
No US citizen was implicated in the previous indictment of Russian nationals

There is an upcoming trial of Manafort in DC.
Odds are the cooperation has to do with that prosecution.

This post has been edited by mjperry51: 14 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

#14 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

View Postmjperry51, on 14 September 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

Okay - let's review what we do know about Manafort/Mueller.
None of the previous Manafort/Gates indictments/convictions involve Trump or the campaign and the asserted Russian collusion.
No US citizen was implicated in the previous indictment of Russian nationals

There is an upcoming trial of Manafort in DC.
Odds are the cooperation has to do with that prosecution.

We can be fairly certain that Mueller is still squeezing Manafort for anything on Trump and Russians. That's his MO. That is also why so many of his convictions are overturned. The guy needs to put up or GTFO.

This post has been edited by gravelrash: 14 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

#15 User is offline   AntonToo 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:34 PM

View Postmjperry51, on 14 September 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

...desperation? After Trump campaign chair agreed to full co-operation?

You do know that plea deals are not given because prosecutor like the guy right? They are given because the guy HAS SOMETHING TO OFFER against the bigger fish.

This post has been edited by AntonToo: 14 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

#16 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:06 PM

View PostAntonToo, on 14 September 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

You do know that plea deals are not given because prosecutor like the guy right? They are given because the guy HAS SOMETHING TO OFFER against the bigger fish.

Ah, so Manafort lied before but then he gets a plea deal so he’ll suddenly tell the truth, and that makes logical sense, is that about right?

#17 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:10 PM

The charges against Manafort stem from questionable dealings 10 years before he spent two months on the Trump campaign trail. Explain again how this is all above board to undo the 2016 election.

#18 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 14 September 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

The charges against Manafort stem from questionable dealings 10 years before he spent two months on the Trump campaign trail. Explain again how this is all above board to undo the 2016 election.

You do realize you're taxing already maxed out grey matter with that question, don't you?

#19 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:11 AM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 14 September 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

You do realize you're taxing already maxed out grey matter with that question, don't you?

All while the originator, who had no intention of discussing anything, gets his jollies watching people respond to his seagull <censored>.

Sad and pathetic, these leftists.

#20 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:38 AM

They are given because the prosecutor BELIEVES there is something more.

And I was referring to the desperation of the OP. . .

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users