RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Beto O’Rourke Just Showed Everyone How To Lose An Election In Texas - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beto O’Rourke Just Showed Everyone How To Lose An Election In Texas Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

Beto O'Rourke Just Showed Everyone How To Lose An Election In Texas
The Democratic congressman aiming to unseat Ted Cruz in November told a panel at SXSW that he'd like ban AR-15s.
By John Daniel Davidson
MARCH 13, 2018
http://thefederalist.com

<More Here>

There are two ways to guarantee you'll lose a statewide election in Texas: campaign for abortion or campaign against guns. Texas Democrats accomplished the first in 2014, when Wendy Davis lost the governor's race to Greg Abbott by 20 points. Now they're determined to do the second.

Beto O'Rourke, the photogenic Democratic congressman from El Paso hoping to unseat Republican Sen. Ted Cruz in November, declared at a SXSW event Monday that there's no reason an AR-15 should be sold to a civilian. According to Politico's Michael Calderone, O'Rourke, who's not shy about swearing on the campaign trail, added, "I have no idea how that polls and I should give a <censored> what the NRA thinks about it."

He might as well have said he doesn't give a <censored> what Texans think about it.

Keep in mind this is Texas, where firearm purchases increased 137 percent between 2000 and 2016 and where people are generally passionate about their AR-15s. Slamming the National Rifle Association and denouncing AR-15s might get you peals of applause at a CNN town hall (or a SXSW panel) but it doesn't play as well in the Lone Star State.

Michael Calderone

@mlcalderone
At SXSW, Beto O'Rourke says there's no reason an AR-15 should be sold to civilians. "I have no idea how that polls and I should give a <censored> what the NRA" thinks about it.

12:30 PM - Mar 10, 2018
923 people are talking about this

Set aside the fact that no Texas Democrat has won a statewide election in 24 years. On the question of gun control and the NRA, O'Rourke's views are far outside the mainstream in Texas. Statewide polls have found that far more Texans oppose an assault weapons ban than favor it, including an overwhelming majority (78 percent) of Republicans, and that nearly one in four Texans say they or a member of their family is a member of the NRA.

Beto's Big Problem

Guns aren't O'Rourke's only problem. In last week's primary elections, O'Rourke badly underperformed, scoring only 61 percent against two relatively unknown opponents. Sema Hernandez, who challenged O'Rourke from the left, came away with 24 percent, and retired Postal Service employee Edward Kimbrough got 15 percent. Together they carried 103 of Texas's 254 counties. O'Rourke, whose fundraising ahead of the primary outpaced Cruz's and made headlines, spent a whopping $4.2 million on the primary. Kimbrough spent $785, and Hernandez spent nothing.

The primary results cast serious doubt on the idea that O'Rourke can beat Cruz in November's general election. Going by sheer numbers, Cruz got twice as many votes in the primary as O'Rourke. To be sure, Cruz's popularity has taken a hit since his failed 2016 presidential bid, but that's mostly from Trump supporters who were upset that he didn't endorse Trump sooner than he did. Those voters aren't going to cast a ballot for O'Rourke, or any other Democrat, merely out of spite for Cruz.

To be fair, it's not all O'Rourke's fault. In fact, for a Texas Democrat, he's downright impressive. Texas Democrats are notorious for not being able to tie their shoes, so O'Rourke's relatively aggressive and disciplined grassroots campaign are unusual in the state. As close observers of state politics have noted, O'Rourke's lackluster showing in the primary says more about Texas Democrats than it does about O'Rourke.

But his popularity with the mainstream media should be understood as a troubling sign for the Democratic Party nationally.

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Beto. Isn't that the Irish boy trying to pretend he's Hispanic?

#3 User is offline   east dallasite 

• I like beer...
  • Group: Silver

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:10 PM

Robert O'Rourke is a dope. And yet, his signs are all over East Dallas. Are so many of my neighbors that stupid? And yet, I have only seen one Lupe Valdez sign. Lupe is the former sheriff of Dallas county, and an outspoken lesbian as well.

#4 User is offline   Timothy 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

I'm not optimistic about his chances, but I'd like to point out that this article is from March.

#5 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:02 PM

That's OK, Willie 'Weed' Nelson will be headlining his fundraiser in Austin so I'm sure we'll be hearing an update about how great he is when someone comes down from attending his rally.

#6 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostTimothy, on 14 September 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

I'm not optimistic about his chances, but I'd like to point out that this article is from March.

Good catch!

#7 User is offline   moocow 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:14 AM

If anyone remembers "Dime Uno!," "Cuidado Beto".

#8 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:28 AM

View PostTimothy, on 14 September 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

And?

#9 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 15 September 2018 - 02:28 AM, said:

And?

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but when I read the initial headline I thought it was more current, as in, just this week Beto/a made a statement that will hurt his chances to be elected.
And when Timothy, (who I almost never agree with) pointed out that it wasn't current, then I had to admit he had a good point.

We'll have to wait and see how this Texas election turns out. I thought Cruz would be elected easily. But I also thought when that liar girl (who claimed to be from the hood and have poor Venezuelan parents and no money turned out to be a trust fund baby) would lose, too.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users