RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Could spiders cure cancer? - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could spiders cure cancer? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

Could spiders cure cancer?
By PAULA AHILLON FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
PUBLISHED: 22:11 EDT, 5 October 2018

<More Here>

Ground breaking research has revealed venom from deadly Australian funnel-web spiders can kill melanoma cells while leaving healthy skin unharmed. A study conducted by the QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute found a peptide from the venom of a Darling Downs funnel-web, when chemically manipulated, had anti-cancer properties which can kill melanoma cancer cells. 'We found the Australian funnel-web spider peptide was better at killing melanoma cancer cells and stopped them from spreading, and it also didn't have a toxic effect on healthy skin cells,' lead researcher Dr Maria Ikonomopulou told ABC News.

The new cancer treatment was taken from the spider's venom gland but researchers are still trying to determine whether the peptide came from the spider's venom or blood. Dr Ikonomopulou said she tested the peptide against a similar compound from a Brazilian spider, which also had anti-cancer properties, in laboratory experiments. 'When we tested the Australian spider peptide on melanoma cells in the laboratory, it killed a majority of them,' she told the Brisbane Times.

The peptide had been tested on animals including mice and Australia's Tasmanian Devil. The anti-cancer compound caused a slowed growth of melanoma in mice. The compound also proved effective in treating facial tumour cells of the endangered Tasmanian Devils. Dr Ikonomopulou said the compound could now be a potential drug to protect the threatened species.

'The melanoma research is not groundbreaking on a global scale, but it is very interesting to find an Australian spider that has good potential to explore,' she said. Spider peptides were also being tested of their antibiotic and anti-cancer properties in international research. Dr Ikonomopulou, who began her research at QIMR, is now doing independent research in Spain.

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is online   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:36 AM

This would be ironic, as Iím convinced that Satan crafted spiders while God rested on the Seventh Day.

#3 User is online   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

Just remember, who'd have thought that bread mold would be one the biggest break through s in medicine.
Praying that this is a breakthrough for cancer. Like most, I have lost to many to it.

:pray:

Oki

#4 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:02 PM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 08 October 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

This would be ironic, as I’m convinced that Satan crafted spiders while God rested on the Seventh Day.

You're thinking of fleas.

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 08 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

#5 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:22 AM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 08 October 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

This would be ironic, as I’m convinced that Satan crafted spiders while God rested on the Seventh Day.

:eyebrows:

This post has been edited by Diamond369: 09 October 2018 - 01:23 AM

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

And I wonder if it would be equally effective for those of us who are extremely allergic to spiders. Even the littlest garden-variety spider, whose bite would just give normal people a small itchy bump, will put me in the hospital. And an actual poisonous spider's bite will kill me in a matter of minutes. I have to carry one of those single-shot anti-venom thingies anytime I go camping.

So it seems to me I'd be more likely to be harmed than cured by anything developed from spiders.

:shrug:

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 09 October 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

And I wonder if it would be equally effective for those of us who are extremely allergic to spiders. Even the littlest garden-variety spider, whose bite would just give normal people a small itchy bump, will put me in the hospital. And an actual poisonous spider's bite will kill me in a matter of minutes. I have to carry one of those single-shot anti-venom thingies anytime I go camping.

So it seems to me I'd be more likely to be harmed than cured by anything developed from spiders.

Wow! Why would you ever go camping?

#8 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

My old dive instructor was absolutely terrified of spiders, I mean a real phobia. But it was understandable, she had two large scars on her leg, one about the size of a grapefruit, a depressed area on her upper, outer thigh, from brown recluse bites. They cause massive tissue necrosis and can be fatal, and she was sick as a dog for weeks and took months to heal after each bite. So, understandable. Me? I'm cautious until I identify the spider as something dangerous, but they don't freak me out.

I remember one time we went to a state park to camp and go cave diving. We got there before sundown, but it was getting towards dusk, when we went to check out the showers before we setup camp. So the whole bunch of us wander down, she's standing in the door looking out as we're leaving, and i look up and right above her head in the doorway, not three or four inches above her head, is the biggest mass of spider webs and egg pods and spiders I've ever seen. I told her, don't look, just walk slowly straight out away from the building. Something in my tone of voice carried the severity of it, so she did. Turned around and looked back and had a major freakout, thanking me profusely for saving her. Hey, I understood her phobia, and you take care of your friends. Her boyfriend said damn, good thing you did that or we'd have had to sedate her.

#9 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostLadybird, on 09 October 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

Wow! Why would you ever go camping?

Because my girlfriend loves it.

#10 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 09 October 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

Because my girlfriend loves it.

There are a few portable bug away things out there that work pretty well. Nut just citronella candles, those may attract unwanted two legged pests, bears, raccoons and such as some are believed to actually be attracted to that stuff because they have learned it equals people which equals food.
But, spraying yourself, gear tent and a parameter with Deep Woods Off can also be helpful. For what it's worth the most effective spider repellent I have ever sprayed around the houses foundation inside and outside was actually Deep Woods Off in the pump type spray bottle. In particular it has helped in the Garage and Basement.

Oki

#11 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

I must be the odd man out.

Spiders, snakes, and other 'creepy-crawlers' have never frightened or disgusted me (probably why I ended up a Biologist).

#12 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:39 AM

For me, it depends on the spider or the snake. Most, spiders don't bother me (and my mother always told me most spiders did more good than harm) but of course, there are exceptions. A few years ago, my husband was bitten by a brown recluse and even with immediate medical attention, he had a bad time of it.

As for snakes, I have a healthy respect but I like them. I once spent a day at the San Francisco Zoo with a friend who worked with the snakes. He carefully selected the snakes but he let me handle some of the non-poisonous ones. It was a great experience.

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:05 AM

View Postoki, on 11 October 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

There are a few portable bug away things out there that work pretty well. Nut just citronella candles, those may attract unwanted two legged pests, bears, raccoons and such as some are believed to actually be attracted to that stuff because they have learned it equals people which equals food.
But, spraying yourself, gear tent and a parameter with Deep Woods Off can also be helpful. For what it's worth the most effective spider repellent I have ever sprayed around the houses foundation inside and outside was actually Deep Woods Off in the pump type spray bottle. In particular it has helped in the Garage and Basement.

Oki

Yeah, we never go camping without my single-shot self-administered venom antidote needle kit, plus gallons of Deep Woods Off.

View PostSARGE, on 11 October 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

I must be the odd man out.

Spiders, snakes, and other 'creepy-crawlers' have never frightened or disgusted me (probably why I ended up a Biologist).

There's a distinct difference between being irrationally paranoid about spiders (or snakes or whatever) just because they're "creepy" or "scary", and being careful enough to take necessary precautions when you're deathly allergic to them. The former is silly, the latter is perfectly sensible.

As for snakes, I'm not only not frightened by them, but quite the opposite, I find them fascinating. In fact, in junior high school I was appointed to be officially in charge of the care and feeding of the school's boa constrictor, "Happy Jack". He was a really cool snake, and seemed to like me too. I used to let him climb up on me and coil himself around my arms and shoulders and take him for walks around the school grounds. And lemme tell ya, no matter how crowded those hallways were, people scramble to get the hell out of your way as fast as they can when you're carrying a full-grown boa constrictor, LOL. It was like the parting of the Red Sea.

:D

#14 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 12 October 2018 - 02:05 AM, said:

. . .As for snakes, I'm not only not frightened by them, but quite the opposite, I find them fascinating. In fact, in junior high school I was appointed to be officially in charge of the care and feeding of the school's boa constrictor, "Happy Jack". He was a really cool snake, and seemed to like me too. I used to let him climb up on me and coil himself around my arms and shoulders and take him for walks around the school grounds. And lemme tell ya, no matter how crowded those hallways were, people scramble to get the hell out of your way as fast as they can when you're carrying a full-grown boa constrictor, LOL. It was like the parting of the Red Sea.

:D

That reminds me, when my younger sister was in college, she had a pet California king snake which she often brought to classes with her. Most of her fellow students gave her a wide berth but one science professor was quite taken with the snake and my sister got great grades in his class.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users