RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Hurricane Michael Grows Stronger, ‘Explicitly Forcast To Become’ Cat 4 - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hurricane Michael Grows Stronger, ‘Explicitly Forcast To Become’ Cat 4 Before Slamming Into Florida Panhandle Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:24 PM

Hurricane Michael Grows Stronger, ‘Explicitly Forcast To Become’ Cat 4 Before Slamming Into Florida Panhandle

Miami Herald
By Jenny Staletovich, David Ovalle And Elizabeth Koh
October 09, 2018, Updated 11:45 PM

Excerpt:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1958/44495070814_07abb3705f_z.jpg

Florida’s Panhandle scrambled to ready for its worst hurricane strike in at least a decade as Michael gained power overnight, on track to strike somewhere near Panama City Wednesday afternoon — possibly as a dangerous Category 4 system packing a thundering surge of seawater that could float cars and crest rooftops.

More than 180,000 people were under evacuation orders along a stretch of the Panhandle better known for its small town feel and big white sand beaches.

After forming quickly into a hurricane Monday, Michael made steady progress across the Gulf of Mexico Tuesday, gathering strength and plowing up the sea in its path. Water levels had already risen up to 2 feet above normal along the Gulf Coast, hurricane forecasters said, with heavy surf pounding some beaches and minor flooding near Apalachicola. At 11 p.m. Tuesday, the National Hurricane Center reported Michael’s sustained winds had reached 125 mph and forecasters predicted it will whip up even stronger before making landfall.

On Panama City Beach, normally a buzzing tourist hub, the streets were mostly deserted Tuesday night. The approaching storm didn’t keep last-minute visitors from heading to the sand to enjoy a stunning plum-colored sunset over the Gulf.

“That’s exactly what we came for,” said Maria Rivera, 33, giving her 11-year-old son Kaden a squeeze.

Rivera, her son and her boyfriend are staying in their two-story waterfront house in an evacuation zone in the city fortified with hurricane-impact windows and stocked with snacks, water and board games.

“I’m kind of scared but I know I’m going to be safe because I’m with my mom,” Kaden said.

Hurricane and storm surge warnings and watches covered much of the Gulf Coast, as far south as Tampa. Parts of the U.S. East Coast also came under tropical storm warnings after heavy wind and rain threats worsened inland. Parts of the Carolinas still digging out from Florence’s slow-moving attack last month could again face heavy rain.

Forecasters and emergency managers warned that Michael’s storm surge remains the most serious coastal threat, since the bend in the shoreline traps powerful waves. Water levels were 1.5 to 2 feet above normal along parts of the coast Tuesday with the storm more than 300 miles away, National Hurricane Center storm surge chief Jamie Rhome said. Michael could also near the coast on a rising tide, which could compound problems.

*snip*

Full Article

#2 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:32 AM

Yikes!
More rain for Carolinas.

#3 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

It seems like the price of living someplace beautiful and temperate is that you have to run for your life every now and then.

#4 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:55 AM

View PostLadybird, on 10 October 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

It seems like the price of living someplace beautiful and temperate is that you have to run for your life every now and then.

I've lived near an ocean for most of my life and when we moved east from California, the first thing I wanted was to live on the coast. My husband had spent a lot of time in the Carolinas, when he was in the Marine Corps and afterward. What he remembered most were the devastating storms and evacuations. Needless to say, he talked me out of the coast. While the area in which we now live isn't nearly as beautiful, it's also far less dangerous.

#5 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:46 PM

This was supposed to be a smaller storm that the last two! How awful. I am praying for the people who are in the path of the destruction. Most of those in the Carolinas haven’t even been able to fully assess the damage from the last storm.

I live in Colorado and we probably have some of the most benign weather in the country. I can’t imagine how they cope with this every few years.

#6 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

Hurricane Michael: Intensifies, Landfalls Near Mexico Beach, Fla.; Deadly Impacts, Historic Storm

WFTV-ABC
By: Irene Sans , Monique Valdes
Updated: Oct 10, 2018 - 1:41 PM

Excerpt:

1:00 p.m. UPDATE

Hurricane Michael's eye wall is coming ashore the Florida Panhandle with sustained wind speeds reaching 150 mph. The pressure has dropped to 919 mb. This pressure measurement is even lower that Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The weather has begun to turn very dangerous with the potential to be deadly in some areas. A weather station at the Gulf County Emergency Operations Center in Port St. Joe, to the southeast of Panama City, registered a wind gust of 106 mph. Apalachicola airport registered sustained winds at 63 mph.

6.5-foot storm surge has been reported in Apalachicola.

*snip*

1:38 p.m. UPDATE

Michael strengthens to 155 mph, makes landfall near Mexico Beach, Florida.

*snip*

Link

#7 User is offline   LollyMpl 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:27 PM

It was ONE mph short of a cat 5 hurricane. Smacked dead-on at Tyndall Air Force Base and Mexico Beach. Supposed to continue as a cat 4 as it hits the AL line, which is about 40 miles inland.

#8 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostLollyMpl, on 10 October 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

It was ONE mph short of a cat 5 hurricane. Smacked dead-on at Tyndall Air Force Base and Mexico Beach. Supposed to continue as a cat 4 as it hits the AL line, which is about 40 miles inland.

There's still a lot of danger but there may be signs of Michael's slowing down.

2:40 p.m. UPDATE

Michael continues move inland over the Florida Panhandle and it will be crossing over to the Alabama/Georgia border within the next hour or so. Still Florida Panhandle residents are not done with the hurricane's effects. Very strong, destructive winds, over 100 mph expected to arrive near Tallahassee soon, as well as very deep storms, all associated with the eye wall.

Residents along southern and central Georgia are advice (sic) to stay put in there (sic) secure location during the afternoon hours as the storm travels over the region, likely still as a hurricane.

Michael is expected to weaken to a tropical storm once its center (or what is left of it) approaches the Carolinas, moving out to the Atlantic Ocean by late Thursday evening. A large swath of heavy rainfall is expected to bring flash flooding from the Florida Panhandle to the Carolinas and Virginia.

#9 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Radar Link

This post has been edited by MTP Reggie: 10 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

#10 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:41 AM

https://www.breitbar...ngest-anything/

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:01 PM

The Florida panhandle looks pretty awful. This was a bad storm.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users