RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Dem Governor Candidate: Multiple DUI’s Shouldn’t Make You Eligible For - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dem Governor Candidate: Multiple DUI’s Shouldn’t Make You Eligible For Jail Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:24 AM

Dem Governor Candidate: Multiple DUI’s Shouldn’t Make You Eligible For Jail

The Washington Free Beacon
BY: Cameron Cawthorne
October 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Excerpt:

Drew Edmondson, the Democratic gubernatorial nominee in Oklahoma, said at a campaign event Monday that multiple DUIs shouldn't make individuals eligible for jail.

Edmondson attended a breakfast event as part of his "Turn this Train Around" tour where he addressed concerns about people facing jail time for certain crimes. He mentioned possession of marijuana, shoplifting, and writing bad checks, but then he went further to suggest that "maybe even DUI[s]" shouldn't be jail-eligible.

"Personally, I think we need to look at other crimes like simple possession of marijuana. Things like shoplifting, bogus checks, maybe even DUI, and say–I don’t know if I can get the legislature to do it or if this will have to go on the ballot too–but say this is against the law, you’re going to be punished, but this crime is no longer prison-eligible even if you do two or three times," Edmondson said.

Edmondson, a former district attorney that personally prosecuted a range of cases including DUIs, previously served as Oklahoma's attorney general from 1995 to 2011.

In Oklahoma you are over the legal limit if you are "21 years old or over with a BAC of 0.08% or more," according Oklahoma's DMV website. The website also details the penalties for multiple DUI offenses. The first offense is a misdemeanor, but the subsequent offenses are considered felonies and include jail time and fines. The first offense requires jail time of 10 days to a year sentence and a fine up to $1,000. The second offense in ten years requires jail time between 1 and 5 years and a fine up to $2,500. If an individual receives a second felony charge, they are required to serve 1 to 7 years and fine up to $5,000. All subsequent offenses include a jail sentence of 1 to 10 years and a fine up to $5,000.

The Republican Governors Association criticized Edmondson for his "dangerous" proposal, saying that it would "make Oklahoma less safe."

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is online   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

Of course...:nuts:

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:31 AM

Lemme guess...He drives drunk, smokes pot, shoplifts, and writes bad checks.

Just a wild guess...

:whistling:

#4 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

I guess he thinks it’s some sort of non-violent, “victimless” crime, but they could easily—and are far more likely—to hurt or kill someone anytime they get behind the wheel drunk, aren’t they? Ending up doing it repeatedly shows there’s not enough regard for the safety of others to figure out a way to compensate for one’s drinking problem.

#5 User is online   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Back in the 80's, DUIs were rampant in Anchorage where I lived at the time. They implemented a graduated matrix of fines and punishments for first and subsequent offenses. First offense was a fine, "points" against your auto insurance and mandatory 3 days in jail with no excuses. All of the above increased with subsequent offenses, up to and including forfeiture of your auto.

DUIs dropped like a rock, mainly because spending 3 days in the 6th Avenue Jail, was likely to cost you your job. We all paid attention to that.

#6 User is online   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:33 AM

He is right, multiple D.U.I.'s shouldn't make you elidgable for jail.... YOU SHOULD F'NG BE IN JAIL ALREADY FOR IT!!!!

I have had friends injured by 7,8 even 9 nine time D.U.I./D.W.I. offenders.
Damn near every week there is a story about someone with 3,4 or more D.W.I.'s killing themselves or someone else.
Sorry(wait no I'm not) but after a certain point the person has a very serious addiction which is not only putting their life in danger but others as well. Although most people with an addiction largely put themselves in danger, these people put EVERYONES life in danger, and that's the difference.

We are not talking about someone who had a few to many, is just a touch over the limit and shouldn't be driving.
We are talking about people who have a serious alcohol issue, have already been arrested for drunk driving, and have been re arrested again and again and again and again, and still go out get drunk and drive. The only way to stop them is putting their butts in jail.

For those who think this is stuff is over blown...

https://www.wifr.com...-490138091.html

https://fox6now.com/...th-owi-offense/

http://www.duluthnew...driving-offense

Eight freaken' people listed in this one for 9 Drunk Driving Convictions.

https://fox6now.com/...their-9th-owis/

https://www.tmj4.com...alleged-9th-owi

Or maybe this little Gem.
https://www.wearegre...-side/692929419

https://www.wbay.com...-419570233.html

Easter Sunday, about 10 A.M. already drunk he thought he could run from the cops. As this happened in Green Bay and I have friends WHO LIVE on that street they either saw or heard it. It was estimated he hit the curb at least 100 miles an hour. The drive was facing a 5th or 6th D.W.I.
I read in the guys obituary that he left behind a 3 or 4 year old son and was aged 26.

https://www.tmj4.com...t-and-run-crash

By the way, this is the same road that the idiot running from the cops killed himself on.
https://www.youtube....h?v=zycDv2AWMJ8

Then, this past march the house was HIT AGAIN by a vehicle this time it was hit so hard it was shifted so much it had to be demolished.
That time it was a bunch of kids joy riding in a Cadillac when they lost control...

Yeah, people who drive drunk and don't learn their lesson is a hot button for me.

Oki

#7 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

View PostLiz, on 11 October 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

In Oklahoma you are over the legal limit if you are "21 years old or over with a BAC of 0.08% or more," according Oklahoma's DMV website. The website also details the penalties for multiple DUI offenses. The first offense is a misdemeanor, but the subsequent offenses are considered felonies and include jail time and fines. The first offense requires jail time of 10 days to a year sentence and a fine up to $1,000. The second offense in ten years requires jail time between 1 and 5 years and a fine up to $2,500. If an individual receives a second felony charge, they are required to serve 1 to 7 years and fine up to $5,000. All subsequent offenses include a jail sentence of 1 to 10 years and a fine up to $5,000.

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 11 October 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

Back in the 80's, DUIs were rampant in Anchorage where I lived at the time. They implemented a graduated matrix of fines and punishments for first and subsequent offenses. First offense was a fine, "points" against your auto insurance and mandatory 3 days in jail with no excuses. All of the above increased with subsequent offenses, up to and including forfeiture of your auto.

DUIs dropped like a rock, mainly because spending 3 days in the 6th Avenue Jail
, was likely to cost you your job. We all paid attention to that.

View Postoki, on 11 October 2018 - 10:33 AM, said:

He is right, multiple D.U.I.'s shouldn't make you eligible for jail.... YOU SHOULD F'NG BE IN JAIL ALREADY FOR IT!!!!

I have had friends injured by 7,8 even 9 nine time D.U.I./D.W.I. offenders.
Damn near every week there is a story about someone with 3,4 or more D.W.I.'s killing themselves or someone else.
Sorry(wait no I'm not) but after a certain point the person has a very serious addiction which is not only putting their life in danger but others as well. Although most people with an addiction largely put themselves in danger, these people put EVERYONES life in danger, and that's the difference...

Jail? Yes, certainly. But... Prison - which is what the article is talking about, with 1 year +, along with a ??? No. No, not for a second offense of "merely" DWI with no injuries or death.

Realize, someone goes to Prison (not just jail), it not only costs them the job they have now (along with whatever else they might have, car, house, etc) but in most cases, with a felony record, the possibility of getting a job for a number of years after they get out, which makes them a welfare case. This sort of punishment should be reserved for the WORST offenses, other wise it punishes not only the offender but us taxpayers as well. And haven't we been Taxed Enough Already?

Look at it another way, the USA already puts a higher percentage of the population in Prison, and typically for much longer, than just about any other country. And what do we have to show for it?

#8 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 11 October 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Jail? Yes, certainly. But... Prison - which is what the article is talking about, with 1 year +, along with a ??? No. No, not for a second offense of "merely" DWI with no injuries or death.

Realize, someone goes to Prison (not just jail), it not only costs them the job they have now (along with whatever else they might have, car, house, etc) but in most cases, with a felony record, the possibility of getting a job for a number of years after they get out, which makes them a welfare case. This sort of punishment should be reserved for the WORST offenses, other wise it punishes not only the offender but us taxpayers as well. And haven't we been Taxed Enough Already?

Look at it another way, the USA already puts a higher percentage of the population in Prison, and typically for much longer, than just about any other country. And what do we have to show for it?

I think a lot does depend on the severity, how many offenses etc. Wisconsin has a very very big problem(as I linked to) not just with drunk driving but people picking up 4,5,6,7,8,9 even 12 offenses. Plus, I could go third offense, even fourth offense before jail time, problem is these people have serious alcohol issues and they are a danger to themselves and others. The only way to mitigate this is to get them of the street.
You won't hae a B.A.C. of .2 plus and not be a pile of mush unless you have a serious problem. We had one recent case where the woman registered .7!

This is just one of many many examples.
4th O.W.I. three times over the legal limit. Thank God he didn't hurt anyone.
4th Offense in 5 years no less.
https://drydenwire.c...es-legal-limit/

You don't get to that point with just a couple beers...

As far as prison goes, thinking we should adopt some of how Japan runs there prisons. Not sure if they have life sentences, but I do know the longest sentence is seven years and they also have a death penalty. Rare, but they do have it.
Interestingly enough, recidivism across the board except ONE CRIME GROUP is much lower then here. That crime group is sex crimes which is about the same.

Oki

#9 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 October 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

Lemme guess...He drives drunk, smokes pot, shoplifts, and writes bad checks.

Just a wild guess...

:whistling:

Or is related to someone who does... <_<

(or is being slipped a large chunk of $$ by someone who does, or is related to someone who does)

This post has been edited by ASE: 11 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

#10 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

Ahh yes.

Democraps.

The party of criminals for all other criminals.

#11 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

View Postoki, on 11 October 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

As far as prison goes, thinking we should adopt some of how Japan runs there prisons. Not sure if they have life sentences, but I do know the longest sentence is seven years and they also have a death penalty. Rare, but they do have it.
Interestingly enough, recidivism across the board except ONE CRIME GROUP is much lower then here. That crime group is sex crimes which is about the same.

We should run (State/Federal) Prisons - "Hard Time", Felony-level stuff, 1 Year and a day and higher - the way Japan does.

We should run (City/County) Jails - "The Jug" "Downtown" "33rd Street" (Orlando FL ) "The Farm" (Jacksonville FL), Misdemeanor stuff, usually mere days but potentially up to one year - the way Sheriff Joe of Phoenix did.

Sex Crimes? Japan's recidivism probably matches ours because ours is (surprisingly) low already. THAT IS TO SAY, an offender if not caught or turned in is likely to offend again and again and again and again and again (yada yada yada) UNTIL caught. However, ONCE caught, is amongst all felony categories the LEAST likely to offend again. (Highest is, for whatever reason, Auto Theft.) Saw an FBI or DOJ report on this some years back, not sure
if I can find tyhat exact report again.

#12 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 11 October 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

We should run (State/Federal) Prisons - "Hard Time", Felony-level stuff, 1 Year and a day and higher - the way Japan does.

We should run (City/County) Jails - "The Jug" "Downtown" "33rd Street" (Orlando FL ) "The Farm" (Jacksonville FL), Misdemeanor stuff, usually mere days but potentially up to one year - the way Sheriff Joe of Phoenix did.

Sex Crimes? Japan's recidivism probably matches ours because ours is (surprisingly) low already. THAT IS TO SAY, an offender if not caught or turned in is likely to offend again and again and again and again and again (yada yada yada) UNTIL caught. However, ONCE caught, is amongst all felony categories the LEAST likely to offend again. (Highest is, for whatever reason, Auto Theft.) Saw an FBI or DOJ report on this some years back, not sure
if I can find tyhat exact report again.

One interesting thing I initially missed was the fact that Japan tracks for five years after someone gets out of prison while we only track for three. That alone really changes things. As far as sex crimes go, I think a lot also depends on the exact charge.
IE someone who goes to jail for statutory rape is a whole nother ball of wax vs a child molester. Not sure though how Japan works in regards to this long a stay means county jail vs city jail vs state prison. Again not sure, but I don't believe there are any county jails per sei. I think city jails are largely just holding cells until you get your day in court and sentencing.

Oki

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users