RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: New York Man Planned Election Day Suicide Bombing In Washington, DC - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New York Man Planned Election Day Suicide Bombing In Washington, DC Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

New York Man Planned Election Day Suicide Bombing In Washington, DC

HotAir
John Sexton
Posted at 7:21 pm on October 10, 2018

Excerpt:

A New York man named Paul Rosenfeld has been arrested by the FBI for plotting an election day suicide bombing which he intended to carry out on the National Mall in Washington, DC. NBC News reports the man’s goal was to raise the profile of an alternative system of selecting government officials called sortition:

Court documents say Paul Rosenfeld, 56, of Tappan, wanted to draw attention to his belief in “sortition,” the ancient practice of randomly selecting legislators out of a pool of eligible voters…

Rosenfeld confessed to the plot, telling the agents he ordered black powder over the internet and built a bomb in his basement, court papers say.

Rosenfeld also told the agents that he installed certain components in the device to ensure that he was killed.

Investigators scoured his home and discovered a bomb that weighed 200 pounds but included only eight pounds of explosive black powder, court papers say.

*snip*

The person who deserves credit for tipping authorities is a Pennsylvania reporter. Apparently, Rosenfeld sent messages to the reporter about his plans and they contacted authorities. There’s not much detail about what was said to the reporter. Was it anonymous? Did the FBI have to track him down? Or did he just put himself out there?

Authorities are saying Rosenfeld wasn’t part of a larger group, this was his plan alone, and I believe that. There can’t be many people prepared to die for “sortition.” I’m not sure I’d ever heard the word but I have heard of the concept. Here’s the Brittanica entry on it:

A method of choosing public officials in some ancient Greek city-states. It was used especially in the Athenian democracy, from which most information about the practice is derived. With few exceptions, all magistrates were chosen by lot, beginning with the archons in 487–486 BC; likewise the Boule (council) of 500 and the juries of the law courts were chosen by lot. The practice of sortition obviated electoral races and provided for the regular turnover of officeholders.

*snip*

Finally, since you can find anything on YouTube, I looked to see if anyone had blown up a black powder bomb. Sure enough, there are a lot of them. Here’s what the explosion of 2 pounds of black powder looks like. Multiply this by four and this could easily have been very deadly to people nearby:

Link

#2 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

Do we even have to guess what his political affiliation is?

#3 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostLiz, on 11 October 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Rosenfeld confessed to the plot, telling the agents he ordered black powder over the internet and built a bomb in his basement, court papers say.

Rosenfeld also told the agents that he installed certain components in the device to ensure that he was killed.

Black Powder? BLACK POWDER? That's not exactly RDX.

In High School in the '70s we used it for "special effects" in stage class. No harm , no foul, though THESE days would probably send three districts around into lockdown. It would suck to be a kid these days.

SFX made easy: Need a shower of sparks? No problem. Take an old screw-in type fuse:

https://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/full/Z_-1o-fo5oy.JPG

Bust out the glass. Fill with black powder. Put it in a light socket rather than the bulb. Flip the switch, "foom" a shower of sparks.

This is "Greasy Kid Stuff".

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:26 PM

He supposedly supports the idea that politicians should be selected at random from the general population (no, not THAT general population). Hard to imagine it would be any worse than what we have now.

#5 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

View PostSeverian, on 11 October 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

He supposedly supports the idea that politicians should be selected at random from the general population (no, not THAT general population). Hard to imagine it would be any worse than what we have now.

Given the number of politicians that DO wind up in 'General Population', maybe not so far off.

I'm not sure who originally said it, but: "Every politician should serve two terms - one in office, the other in prison."

#6 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

H.L. Mencken said: Democracy is where the voter is assumed to know what he wants, and deserves to get it good and hard.

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

View PostSeverian, on 11 October 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

It would be interesting. There could be a drawing or Vanna White could spin a wheel for names.

Mrs. Mabel Shoemaker from East Orange, New Jersey.. Come on down!

#8 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:54 AM

View PostLadybird, on 13 October 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

It would be interesting. There could be a drawing or Vanna White could spin a wheel for names.

Mrs. Mabel Shoemaker from East Orange, New Jersey.. Come on down!

Didn't Buckley say that he'd rather be governed by the first 500 people in the phone book than an elected congress? One problem with random selection would be do the people take it seriously. In a society where people took their roles seriously, a randomly chosen person would try to do their best out of honor, a sense of responsibility, fear of ostracism, but in today's society, it'd be more of a "Hey I won the lottery! Now I can take bribes and get rich while doing no work!"

I remember someone, perhaps Asimov?, wrote a scifi story where the computers had gotten so advanced at polling and such, they could predict the outcome of the presidential race from questioning one random voter. So, they got rid of the whole political process of voting and the computer randomly chose one person to interview and then picked the leader. Everyone lived in mortal terror of being picked as that person, because if the leader turned out to be a failure or a bum, instead of the guilt for selecting him resting on at least half the voters, it was all assigned to that one person who the computer picked to interview. They'd forever be harassed and attacked as "well, he/she's the one that brought us that bastard president that ruined things!" Interesting story.

#9 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:48 PM

In a society where people took their roles seriously, a randomly chosen person would try to do their best out of honor, a sense of responsibility, fear of ostracism, but in today's society, it'd be more of a "Hey I won the lottery! Now I can take bribes and get rich while doing no work!"

Honestly, Severian, I don't see much difference in this and politicians who are elected.

#10 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 13 October 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

In a society where people took their roles seriously, a randomly chosen person would try to do their best out of honor, a sense of responsibility, fear of ostracism, but in today's society, it'd be more of a "Hey I won the lottery! Now I can take bribes and get rich while doing no work!"

Honestly, Severian, I don't see much difference in this and politicians who are elected.

True, but you do get to pick the lesser of two evils with the present system, though that's often not a great choice is it? Definition of an "honest politician," one who when they're bought, stays bought.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”
― Winston S. Churchill

#11 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:02 PM

Severian, on 13 October 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

True, but you do get to pick the lesser of two evils with the present system, though that's often not a great choice is it? Definition of an "honest politician," one who when they're bought, stays bought.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”
― Winston S. Churchill

It’s amazing to compare the nation to any big company - they are extremely careful with their management policies, selection of management, budgets, etc etc.... because they have to grow and be profitable. The people who get to decide the future of the companies are those with something to lose, some skin in the game.

The country’s future on the other hand isn’t being decided by many ignorant voters who don’t really care at all.

#12 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:45 AM

Zero mention in the media from what I can tell

#13 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:46 AM

Severian, on 12 October 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

H.L. Mencken said: Democracy is where the voter is assumed to know what he wants, and deserves to get it good and hard.

He, Twain and Churchill are my intellectual idols.

#14 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:23 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 11 October 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

Do we even have to guess what his political affiliation is?

To be honest people like these typically have no affiliation to any of the main political parties or groups. And, that's part of the reason they do this crap. None of the existing parties support there beliefs.

Oki

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users