RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is slammed for casting himself - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is slammed for casting himself as dark-skinned African-American folklore legend John Henry in his upc Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   grimreefer 

  • U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,702
  • Joined: 18-December 03

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:35 PM

Quote

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is slammed for casting himself as dark-skinned African-American folklore legend John Henry in his upcoming Netflix film

Dailymail.com
Matthew Wright
10 October 2018

excerpt:

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is getting flack for casting himself as an African-American folklore legend in an upcoming Netflix film he is also producing.

Johnson announced on Tuesday that he would be playing the titular hero in the Netflix film 'John Henry and the Statesman.'

'When the man comes around. Honored to play a childhood hero of mine, JOHN HENRY & his disruptive band of fellow folklore legends from around the world,' the 46-year-old actor said on Twitter, along with a brief teaser trailer. '@Netflix are the perfect partners and platform to build.'

On Instagram, he added: 'My dad would sing 'Big John' to me every time he would put me to bed.'

The legend of John Henry tells the tale of a black steel-driver, and former slave, who raced against a steam-powered rock drilling machine supposedly in the 1800s.

*snip*

Many took issue with Johnson taking the role, comparing him to stars like Zoe Saldana and Amandla Stenberg who have received criticism for taking roles meant for someone described as having dark skin.

Saldana was even blasted for her role as jazz icon Nina Simone, with the legend's estate telling the actress to 'Go to hell!'

*snip*

LINK

Wow... so Dwayne Johnson isn't black enough for the perpetual grievance industry. :cry: Cry me a river you simpering racist idiots.

<cough> Hamilton <cough>
0

#2 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 5,940
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:56 AM

“John Henry has always been imagined as dark-skinned black” makes me think of James Bond and the push to suddenly make him black and quite different from how he “has always been imagined.” Anyway, feel bad for Dwayne Johnson if John Henry really is a cherished memory of his from childhood and his father singing the story to him and whatnot. Story probably means a whole lot more to him than the social media douches signaling their virtue by pointing out how they don’t think he’s black enough.
0

#3 User is offline   Italian Biker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,892
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:25 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 12 October 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

“John Henry has always been imagined as dark-skinned black” makes me think of James Bond and the push to suddenly make him black and quite different from how he “has always been imagined.” Anyway, feel bad for Dwayne Johnson if John Henry really is a cherished memory of his from childhood and his father singing the story to him and whatnot. Story probably means a whole lot more to him than the social media douches signaling their virtue by pointing out how they don’t think he’s black enough.

Funny, because I remember alot of Obama supporters stating that if you're part black, you're black.
0

#4 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 12,794
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostItalian Biker, on 12 October 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

Funny, because I remember alot of Obama supporters stating that if you're part black, you're black.

He shoots, he scores!
0

#5 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

  • I kick puppies
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 16,990
  • Joined: 27-May 03

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:43 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 11 October 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

Wow... so Dwayne Johnson isn't black enough for the perpetual grievance industry. :cry: Cry me a river you simpering racist idiots.

<cough> Hamilton <cough>



Yet Obama is considered black enough to put down whites, which includes his mother's side of the family, at will and with gravitas?
0

#6 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 23,561
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Let's see....

When people commented about Will Smith playing James West in the Movie Wild Wild West they where racist, even though it was simply noting that the original character was in fact White.

When Storm (X men) was played by Halle Bare same thing....

How about Nick Fury?

Nope nope no double standard at play here.
By the way, I loved Will Smith's portrayal of James West, Halle Bare has been a great Storm and I have really liked Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.
Like the last two we are talking about taking a something from print to movie which is very very difficult for a actor to do.
I think the Rock can pull this off. Not just because he has the proper Physique, but I think he can also pull of the persona'.

Oki
0

#7 User is offline   Mrdirt73 

  • Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 4,695
  • Joined: 19-August 03

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:08 PM

View Postoki, on 12 October 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Let's see....

When people commented about Will Smith playing James West in the Movie Wild Wild West they where racist, even though it was simply noting that the original character was in fact White.

When Storm (X men) was played by Halle Bare same thing....

How about Nick Fury?

Nope nope no double standard at play here.
By the way, I loved Will Smith's portrayal of James West, Halle Bare has been a great Storm and I have really liked Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.
Like the last two we are talking about taking a something from print to movie which is very very difficult for a actor to do.
I think the Rock can pull this off. Not just because he has the proper Physique, but I think he can also pull of the persona'.

Oki


Storm was always black in the comics as far as I can remember.
0

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 14,697
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

The only objection should be over his acting ability (or lack of...).
0

#9 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 23,561
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostMrdirt73, on 12 October 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

Storm was always black in the comics as far as I can remember.



I always thought storm was Puerto Rican.... then again just shows how assinine the whole argument is to begin with.


Oki
0

#10 User is offline   Junto 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 509
  • Joined: 19-January 06

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

The Rock isn't black enough, but Valerie Jarrett is?
0

#11 User is offline   Italian Biker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,892
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

View Postoki, on 12 October 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

I always thought storm was Puerto Rican.... then again just shows how assinine the whole argument is to begin with.


Oki

I believe Storm was born in Africa in the comic books.
0

#12 User is offline   Moderator T 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 36,493
  • Joined: 02-October 03

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostLadybird, on 12 October 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

The only objection should be over his acting ability (or lack of...).

And yet somehow he is the highest paid and most sought after actor in Hollywood and has been for a couple years now.
0

#13 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 6,001
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostModerator T, on 12 October 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

And yet somehow he is the highest paid and most sought after actor in Hollywood and has been for a couple years now.

That doesn't mean he can act.
0

#14 User is offline   satellite66 

  • No more RHINOs!!!
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 5,389
  • Joined: 27-November 03

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:58 PM

Is the Rock a Trump supporter? I had impression he is.
0

#15 User is offline   grimreefer 

  • U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,702
  • Joined: 18-December 03

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:49 AM

I guess it all depends on how far one looks down their nose when defining what an actor is. From his multi-generational wrestling roots, to his movies and TV series, Dwayne Johnson is one of the most valued entertainers on the scene at present.



Also, I think they'd make a killing with a Storm origin movie.

Storm's history:
Spoiler

0

#16 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 27,840
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:24 AM

 Junto, on 12 October 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

The Rock isn't black enough, but Valerie Jarrett is?


She was black enough to cost Roseanne Barr her job on her TV show? :shrug:

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 13 October 2018 - 05:24 AM

0

#17 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 27,840
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:25 AM

 satellite66, on 12 October 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

Is the Rock a Trump supporter? I had impression he is.

Nope. He's a nevertrumper even though he claims to be a conservative.
0

#18 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 14,697
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostModerator T, on 12 October 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

And yet somehow he is the highest paid and most sought after actor in Hollywood and has been for a couple years now.


He's a handsome action star and seems to be an upstanding, decent guy. That doesn't make him Olivier.
0

#19 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 8,014
  • Joined: 08-May 03

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:49 AM

 Ladybird, on 12 October 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

The only objection should be over his acting ability (or lack of...).

How can you not love The Rock?

 Rock N, on 13 October 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

She was black enough to cost Roseanne Barr her job on her TV show? :shrug:

Touché
0

#20 User is offline   Diamond369 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 9,908
  • Joined: 03-May 04

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

I for one am interested in watching this. If only he laid the smackdown on some of those critics.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users