RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Wall Street Rule For The #MeToo Era: Avoid Women At All Cost - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wall Street Rule For The #MeToo Era: Avoid Women At All Cost Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:41 PM

Wall Street Rule For The #MeToo Era: Avoid Women At All Cost

Bloomberg
By Gillian Tan and Katia Porzecanski
Updated on December 3, 2018, 9:59 AM EST

Excerpt:

No more dinners with female colleagues. Don’t sit next to them on flights. Book hotel rooms on different floors. Avoid one-on-one meetings.

In fact, as a wealth adviser put it, just hiring a woman these days is “an unknown risk.” What if she took something he said the wrong way?

Across Wall Street, men are adopting controversial strategies for the #MeToo era and, in the process, making life even harder for women.

Call it the Pence Effect, after U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, who has said he avoids dining alone with any woman other than his wife. In finance, the overarching impact can be, in essence, gender segregation.

Interviews with more than 30 senior executives suggest many are spooked by #MeToo and struggling to cope. “It’s creating a sense of walking on eggshells,” said David Bahnsen, a former managing director at Morgan Stanley who’s now an independent adviser overseeing more than $1.5 billion.

This is hardly a single-industry phenomenon, as men across the country check their behavior at work, to protect themselves in the face of what they consider unreasonable political correctness -- or to simply do the right thing. The upshot is forceful on Wall Street, where women are scarce in the upper ranks. The industry has also long nurtured a culture that keeps harassment complaints out of the courts and public eye, and has so far avoided a mega-scandal like the one that has engulfed Harvey Weinstein.

‘Real Loss’

Now, more than a year into the #MeToo movement -- with its devastating revelations of harassment and abuse in Hollywood, Silicon Valley and beyond -- Wall Street risks becoming more of a boy’s club, rather than less of one.

“Women are grasping for ideas on how to deal with it, because it is affecting our careers,” said Karen Elinski, president of the Financial Women’s Association and a senior vice president at Wells Fargo & Co. “It’s a real loss.”

There’s a danger, too, for companies that fail to squash the isolating backlash and don’t take steps to have top managers be open about the issue and make it safe for everyone to discuss it, said Stephen Zweig, an employment attorney with FordHarrison.

“If men avoid working or traveling with women alone, or stop mentoring women for fear of being accused of sexual harassment,” he said, “those men are going to back out of a sexual harassment complaint and right into a sex discrimination complaint.”

*snip*

Full Article

#2 User is offline   blah_59 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

How's it go again?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

For dudes though, you can't win for losing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#3 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:36 PM

In my opinion, the Pence rule is a good rule. However, I can understand that even in a group, a vengeful woman could still wrongfully accuse someone.

#4 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:40 AM

Talk to a woman? Sexual harassment.
Don’t talk to a woman? Sexual discrimination.

The hell with it. I’m still gonna talk to women. Even in business...I’ll take my chances....

#5 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:22 AM

Even if you think you're doing the right thing now, something you did 30 - 40 years ago can still come back and bite you. Insanity rules.

#6 User is offline   usapatriot 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 03 December 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

In my opinion, the Pence rule is a good rule. However, I can understand that even in a group, a vengeful woman could still wrongfully accuse someone.

Yes, I have been wrongfully accused a couple times and fortunately it worked out for me in the end. The first one I just laughed at the woman and told her no one would believe her (had a face only a mom could love) and the other one was a temp (covering for our admin who was sick that day) that told my director I was "too friendly". My director knew I was a very outgoing, personable and talkative person, so she didn't make a big deal about the complaint. But, she did suggest I not be so friendly to people I don't know as they may take it the wrong way. This was way before the #metoo movement (20 years ago), but even then anything could be taken the wrong way. From then on, the most I would say to someone I didn't know who happened to be a woman was "hi". This is where the femine-nazi lunacy has taken us.

#7 User is offline   Censport 

• @CensportRacing
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:04 PM

If I were a business owner these days, I'd have a tough time hiring women. I've hired models for my side business, but it's always been people I'm already familiar with such as a friend's daughter when she was home on break from college, or a married friend from Japan. But hiring strangers full-time for an office setting? Nah.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users