RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Princeton a capella group scraps ‘Kiss the Girl’ after consent debate - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Princeton a capella group scraps ‘Kiss the Girl’ after consent debate Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gertie Keddle 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:49 AM

Princeton a capella group scraps ‘Kiss the Girl’ after consent debate

NY Post
Excerpt:

An all-male Princeton University a cappella group will no longer perform a song from Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” because some students there complained that the performance promotes misogyny and “toxic masculinity” and violates consent.

The singers, known as the Tigertones, have for years performed the song “Kiss the Girl” by picking a man and a woman from the audience and encouraging them to smooch on the cheek, according to Inside Higher Ed.

In the animated movie, the tune is crooned by a Rastafarian crab to encourage a prince to kiss a mermaid — and features the lyrics, “My oh my/ Looks like the boy’s too shy/ Ain’t gonna kiss the girl.”

But some audience members were offended by the “misogynistic” and “non-consensual” tone of the performance, including one student, who slammed it in an opinion piece.

“[It’s] more misogynistic and dismissive of consent than cute,” sophomore Noa Wollstein wrote in the Daily Princetonian on Nov. 26. “By performing the song multiple times each semester, the Tigertones elevate it to an offensive and violating ritual,” the piece, titled “Dear Tigertones, please stop singing ‘Kiss the Girl,’” proclaims.

The song makes Prince Eric sound like a pansy for not busting a move on Ariel, Wollstein wrote.

“Such expressions imply that not using aggressive physical action to secure Ariel’s sexual submission makes Eric weak — an irrefutable scaredy-cat,” it adds. “These statements suggest that masculinity is contingent on domination of women. This attitude can catalyze violent tendencies toward, and assault against, women.”

On Friday, the president of the Tigertones, Wesley Brown, announced the group would scrap the song from its set list — and apologized for making students feel “uncomfortable.”

Article

#2 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:30 AM

A gay version that students can more easily relate to is currently in the works.

#3 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

Natural Selection, on 06 December 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

A gay version that students can more easily relate to is currently in the works.

Maybe they should sing Katy Perry’s IKissed a Girl?

My guess is, the chicks who complained, are not getting laid.

#4 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

View Posterp, on 06 December 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

My guess is, the chicks who complained, are not getting laid.

https://i.postimg.cc/q7GX1hqy/women-not-decorations.jpg

#5 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

is anybody gonna have a fit about Lady Gaga's song lyrics or is it ok when she sings about the crap she does?

Or is it OK if women advocate violent sex?

#6 User is offline   Weaseljd 

• <no title>

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

Ok, they are so missing the point of the song. it seems those who are complaining are forgetting that Ariel could not stay a human without the Prince kissing her, and Sebastian, who was singing the song, was encouraging the very act Ariel WANTED to happen. There is no issue of lack of consent as she wanted him to kiss her in the story. geez.

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:57 PM

View PostWeaseljd, on 07 December 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

Ok, they are so missing the point of the song. it seems those who are complaining are forgetting that Ariel could not stay a human without the Prince kissing her, and Sebastian, who was singing the song, was encouraging the very act Ariel WANTED to happen. There is no issue of lack of consent as she wanted him to kiss her in the story. geez.

Thanks for that explanation. Never having seen the movie, I was unaware of that detail.

B)

#8 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

Somebody needs to take a blow torch to these snowflakes who complained.

ASAP.

#9 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:29 PM

MontyPython, on 07 December 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

Thanks for that explanation. Never having seen the movie, I was unaware of that detail.

B)

That movie literally saved Disney from financial ruin. They were dying prior to its release.

Which means, people lioved it. These idiots need to shut up and sit down.

#10 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 December 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

B)

Your grandson would love it. The songs in the movie are catchy and they'll stick with you. Just be warned that the villainess is a bit scary when she's in full villain mode but still, the songs in the movie are wonderful and there is a lot of humor in it, too.

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

View Posterp, on 07 December 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

That movie literally saved Disney from financial ruin. They were dying prior to its release.

Which means, people lioved it. These idiots need to shut up and sit down.

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 07 December 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

Your grandson would love it. The songs in the movie are catchy and they'll stick with you. Just be warned that the villainess is a bit scary when she's in full villain mode but still, the songs in the movie are wonderful and there is a lot of humor in it, too.

Maybe we'll check it out.

:shrug:

#12 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:25 PM

MontyPython, on 07 December 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

Maybe we'll check it out.

:shrug:

You’ll love it too. Ariel is drawn pretty hot and you’d think about .... if she wasn’t half fish.

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

View Postzurg, on 07 December 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

You’ll love it too. Ariel is drawn pretty hot and you’d think about .... if she wasn’t half fish.

Naw, LOL, Jessica Rabbit already fills that niche...

;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users