RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: More than 100 praying mantises hatch in woman’s Christmas tree - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More than 100 praying mantises hatch in woman’s Christmas tree Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

More than 100 praying mantises hatch in woman’s Christmas tree
By Nicole Darrah, Fox News
January 7, 2019 | 10:44am

A Virginia woman said she received a shocking gift over the holidays: More than 100 praying mantises had hatched in her home after the insects were brought in on her Christmas tree.

Molly Kreuze, of Springfield, told WJLA-TV that the creatures — with their bent legs and bulgy eyes — were “crawling on the walls, crawling on the ceiling. Just kind of moving.”

She said the insects emerged from a brown egg-shaped case that was located underneath the tree’s branches.

Kreuze isn’t the first to report finding the creatures on her tree. One Facebook user, who in 2017 posted a photo of a “walnut-sized/shaped egg mass,” wrote that his tree had two eggs on it that year — with an estimated 100 to 200 praying mantises inside each — and warned to take them outside before they hatch, otherwise they’d starve.

If the egg sacs are not removed, they likely will start to hatch “after being indoors for several weeks,” the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry wrote online. “When this happens, numerous tiny mantids swarm over the tree seeking food.”

<snip>

Link

I’d have to move or burn the house down..

#2 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

These cannibalistic creatures will begin to eat one another if they can’t find another food source,

So they're democrats?

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

Reason #153 for using a fake tree. We've been using the same tree for 18 years. It looks exactly like a real tree, but not one single bug has ever laid eggs on it.

;)

#4 User is online   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

They are good for keeping the insect population down. Not sure how relevant that is indoors though...

#5 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

View PostLadybird, on 08 January 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

I’d have to move or burn the house down..

Now there's a rational (Liberal) response to a few insects that have neither the intent nor ability to harm you.

:nuts:

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Later in the article....

View PostLadybird, on 08 January 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

While she’s overwhelmed with praying mantises, Kreuze, a veterinarian, said she’s trying to find new homes for them, since it seems “people really like” the bugs.

“I hope to find them a home, I don’t want them,” she told WJLA-TV, adding she plans to buy a fake Christmas tree next year.

I'd have taken them.

A local garden supply store in Atlanta gives away free ladybugs every year, a packet of 100 or 150 with every purchase. We usually get some. Last year I wanted to get some praying mantii (is that the right plural?) too, $5 or so for one of these nests that will yield 100+ of them.

Obviously too late to get the word out THIS season, but NEXT year if anyone sees one of these on their Christmas tree? Put in a cup in the refrigerator (not freezer) with a vented lid. A mason jar with holes poked in the top works nicely too. Then put in your garden after the last frost.

Northside Neighbor (Atlanta): Pike Nurseries offering freebies on Ladybug Weekend

EtA: No need to worry about ladybugs and mantii together. The praying mantis will eat other insects but NOT ladybugs.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 08 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

#7 User is offline   DJGoody 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:22 PM

I love Praying Mantis, as long as they don't mess with my hummingbirds! Yes, they can catch and eat hummingbirds.

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

View PostSARGE, on 08 January 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Now there's a rational (Liberal) response to a few insects that have neither the intent nor ability to harm you.

:nuts:

Now there's proof conservatives have no sense of humor.
(See how that works?)

My mom got them once. As a bug-a-phobe they scared the crap out of me, even though they were outside. Big, weird looking suckers. I can't imagine more than a hundred of them crawling on my living room walls.
We were thinking of ditching the fake tree for a real one next year. Not anymore!

#9 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostLadybird, on 08 January 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Now there's proof conservatives have no sense of humor.
(See how that works?)

My mom got them once. As a bug-a-phobe they scared the crap out of me, even though they were outside. Big, weird looking suckers. I can't imagine more than a hundred of them crawling on my living room walls.
We were thinking of ditching the fake tree for a real one next year. Not anymore!

Nice fail.

There's proof that even Liberals react with, "if it looks different (ugly) move or burn it out".

Sound familiar?

Specist.

I think it's hilarious.

#10 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

I think the scent of evergreen is part of Christmas and I'd miss it.

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostBerkeleyUnderground, on 08 January 2019 - 08:26 PM, said:

https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/is/images/direct/b881e7c1744e58da0eed9dfe7ff68108e50a377e/Santa-North-Woods-Pine-and-Natural-Evergreen-Christmas-Scent-Spray---9-Ounces.jpg

#12 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

I still have my outdoor Christmas lights on and there are several other "laggards" in my neighborhood.

#13 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

I tried to explain to a classmate why pine trees, mistletoe, and yule logs are Christmas traditions. Our professor who was born in Cuba cut in. My classmate argued that she didn't have a Christmas tree in her house because "that's what white people do" (she's black).

The tradition has pagan and practical origins. Hunker down and huddle in winter. Pine scent to mask 4-6 months of winter and leaves for bedding. That attempt at "multiculturalism" was in 1993.

#14 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

I have to say that I didn't see fresh tress being sold in as many places as I used to.

#15 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

I had a real wreath outside that had the evergreen smell. That's enough.

We had real trees back in the day. My mom insisted on keeping them up until Epiphany was over, so by the time my father drug it outside, it would leave a few thousand needles on the rug.

#16 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

View PostLadybird, on 08 January 2019 - 08:59 PM, said:

I had a real wreath outside that had the evergreen smell. That's enough.

We had real trees back in the day. My mom insisted on keeping them up until Epiphany was over, so by the time my father drug it outside, it would leave a few thousand needles on the rug.

Yeah, cleaning up needles is part of the real tree experience.

And I do think that wreaths are a nice touch.

#17 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 08 January 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

I tried to explain to a classmate why pine trees, mistletoe, and yule logs are Christmas traditions. Our professor who was born in Cuba cut in. My classmate argued that she didn't have a Christmas tree in her house because "that's what white people do" (she's black).

I asked this question before.

Can a successfully ongoing functioning society be all things to all people?

And I am increasing thinking it can't.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users