RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Next Book To Be Banned - RightNation.US

Next Book To Be Banned The Call Of The Wild Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

I'm re-reading one of my favorite books from childhood, "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London. Haven't read it in years. I'll bet most of you have read it too, or at least heard of it even if you haven't actually read it. Definitely one of the American classic novels.

During this re-reading I've re-discovered something I'd forgotten. Something that would drive today's SJWs absolutely crazy. (Fortunately most of them are way too stupid to read.) I won't say (yet) what it is. I'll just leave this post here for a while to see if it generates any interest. If it does seem to generate interest, I will explain what I mean

For that matter, maybe somebody else who has also read the book can guess what I'm referring to...Care to try?

:whistling:

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

Oh, jeez, it's been maybe 50 years, but I do remember that one of London's books used the word "F-A-G-G-O-T" in the sense of small pieces of wood used for kindling. And I remember reading it right about the time the term started to be popularly used as a slur for gays. Was that THIS book?

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 08 January 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

Oh, jeez, it's been maybe 50 years, but I do remember that one of London's books used the word "F-A-G-G-O-T" in the sense of small pieces of wood used for kindling. And I remember reading it right about the time the term started to be popularly used as a slur for gays. Was that THIS book?

That was an excellent guess. But nope, that's not what I'm referring to.

:tap:

#4 User is online   catpat 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:22 PM

Would it be the dog fights?

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

View Postcatpat, on 08 January 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

Would it be the dog fights?

Nope.

(But you're getting warmer...)

#6 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

It’s gotta be sexual or racial reference but not something totally lame like “gay” or totally obvious like “n-word”. So I’m interested to hear what....

#7 User is offline   Martin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

I'll bite. For one thing, the dog Buck was stolen by an Hispanic Californian who needed to "support diverse copies of himself." For another, when Buck got to Alaska, he got beaten severely by a man with a club who was trying to train him to be an obedient sled dog. For another, when Buck's final owner encounters a party of hapless gold seekers on the trail, the owner warns them about going any farther in their unprepared state. One of the party is a women, Mercedes, whom the author ridicules as totally unprepared for the Alaskan wilderness.

The history of the Klondike gold rush would appall anybody. The animal cruelty, both to dogs and horses, was rampant. Fortunately, this gold rush lasted only two years but it was bad enough during those times. "The Call of the Wild" and the poetry of Robert Service are all the gold most of us can mine from the ore of this period.

#8 User is online   catpat 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

The poor, and sometimes inhumane, treatment of the dogs

#9 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Zurg has come closest thus far in post #6 (though he specified "not something...totally obvious", LOL...) So here it is:

There are three dogs in the main narrative. The main dog, of course, is Buck, the one the book is about.

But there are two others - "Skeet", and the one my opening post was about: A black dog named "Nig".

That's right, a black dog named "Nig". Just imagine how a SJW will react to naming anything "Nig" just because it's black.

:rant: :redhot: :tantrum: :soapbox:

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 08 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

#10 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, I can see that those who can always find something to be offended about if it has anything to do with white people would find offense here.

#11 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 08 January 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

Zurg has come closest thus far in post #6 (though he specified "not something...totally obvious", LOL...) So here it is:

There are three dogs in the main narrative. The main dog, of course, is Buck, the one the book is about.

But there are two others - "Skeet", and the one my opening post was about: A black dog named "Nig".

That's right, a black dog named "Nig". Just imagine how a SJW will react to naming anything "Nig" just because it's black.

:rant: :redhot: :tantrum: :soapbox:

But if there were white dog that was called Kraker it would be just fine.... they’d talk about “release the Kraker”.....

#12 User is offline   Martin 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

In 1897 Joseph Conrad's shipwreck novel "The <censored> of the Narcissus" was published. In the USA, it was retitled "Children of the Sea." I bet the racial slur doesn't get past the auto-bowdlerizer on Right Nation, but that was the title Joseph Conrad gave his novel. I do not use that racial slur myself, but it seems wrong to bowdlerize the works of historic authors like Mark Twain and Rudyard Kipling. Their works should be judged by the standards of their times.

#13 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 08 January 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

I'm re-reading one of my favorite books from childhood, "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London. Haven't read it in years. I'll bet most of you have read it too, or at least heard of it even if you haven't actually read it. Definitely one of the American classic novels.

During this re-reading I've re-discovered something I'd forgotten. Something that would drive today's SJWs absolutely crazy. (Fortunately most of them are way too stupid to read.) I won't say (yet) what it is. I'll just leave this post here for a while to see if it generates any interest. If it does seem to generate interest, I will explain what I mean

For that matter, maybe somebody else who has also read the book can guess what I'm referring to...Care to try?

I figured it had to do with a reference to a slur towards the natives of the Alaskan territory, the Inuit may have been the natives mentioned in the book. Other Alaskan native names escape me.

#14 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:48 PM

Anyone ever read the Flashman novels by George McDonald Fraser? The author only died about 10 years ago, but they’re all about a British officer during England’s peak imperial period so they’re full of things that would make a snowflake curl up crying in the safe space. Fun books; I recommend them all. You can actually listen to the entire first book on YouTube, I believe (in parts, but all there), to get a taste. Good stuff.

Edit: first book is definitely on there. https://m.youtube.co...ZDwIr9U628uRApW

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 09 January 2019 - 12:25 AM

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:05 AM

View Postzurg, on 08 January 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

But if there were white dog that was called Kraker it would be just fine.... they’d talk about “release the Kraker”.....

:exactly:

#16 User is offline   bearded old man 

• Another day...another dollar
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

It always got me that in the old British movie 'Dambusters' the Black Labrador belonging to the wing commander was called the "N" word and it was never dubbed over.

#17 User is offline   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • View gallery

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

View Postbearded old man, on 09 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

It always got me that in the old British movie 'Dambusters' the Black Labrador belonging to the wing commander was called the "N" word and it was never dubbed over.

I watched the movie "Midway" and they overdubbed Charlton Heston warning his son that "some Jap pilot will flame your butt". They changed it to "enemy pilot". LOL

#18 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 08 January 2019 - 10:48 PM, said:

Anyone ever read the Flashman novels by George McDonald Fraser? The author only died about 10 years ago, but they’re all about a British officer during England’s peak imperial period so they’re full of things that would make a snowflake curl up crying in the safe space. Fun books; I recommend them all. You can actually listen to the entire first book on YouTube, I believe (in parts, but all there), to get a taste. Good stuff.

Edit: first book is definitely on there. https://m.youtube.co...ZDwIr9U628uRApW

Yep. And there was a 70s film version with Malcolm McDowell and Ollie Reed. Also great fun.

Note: Fraser was one of the legendary Chindit soldiers of WW2, the British special forces unti who fought the Japs in Burma well behind enemy lines, commanded by the legendary Orde Wingate.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 09 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

#19 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:45 AM

View Postbearded old man, on 09 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

In the UK, one major terrestrial channel and a couple of cable/satellite channels own the rights to this classic. There was a time when they bleeped it, but now they don't and simply give a warning of 'outdated racial terms' before the film starts. That keeps the UK tv regulator happy.

#20 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

View PostMartin, on 08 January 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

In 1897 Joseph Conrad's shipwreck novel "The <censored> of the Narcissus" was published. In the USA, it was retitled "Children of the Sea." I bet the racial slur doesn't get past the auto-bowdlerizer on Right Nation, but that was the title Joseph Conrad gave his novel. I do not use that racial slur myself, but it seems wrong to bowdlerize the works of historic authors like Mark Twain and Rudyard Kipling. Their works should be judged by the standards of their times.

With Mark Twain, I have no heartburn if they want to change a character's name to "Negro Jim" or whatever rather than the original. It doesn't cause the book to lose any meaning AND I'm of the firm opinion that if a word is such that a child shouldn't be saying it aloud then it probably shouldn't be in a children's book. If that's what it takes to keep Twain's books on library shelves and reading lists, I'm okay with it.

Kipling is somewhat different. While some of his stuff was definitely meant for children, and even more has been Disney-fied to be suitable for children, much of his stuff wasn't nor was meant to be. I doubt that works like "Ulster" or "White Man's Burden" or "Army of a Dream" will be showing up on very many 3rd-grade reading lists.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users