RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Red Lobster joins list of companies pulling ads from ‘Tucker Carlson T - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Red Lobster joins list of companies pulling ads from ‘Tucker Carlson T Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   pepperonikkid 

  • Trucker
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 12,863
  • Joined: 03-September 03

  Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

Red Lobster joins list of companies pulling ads from 'Tucker Carlson Tonight'





https://www.conservativeinstitute.org
January 9, 2019



Article:


Tucker Carlson just lost another advertiser, the Wrap reported. The seafood chain Red Lobster announced that it would pull advertising from Carlson's show in the wake of a controversial, much-discussed opening monologue last week in which the Fox host laid out a manifesto on the collapse of the family and America's middle class. As part of his critique, Carlson suggested that a drop in men's wages and employment might be part of the reason behind the decline in marriage.

"Red Lobster's advertising buying guidelines reflect our core values and commitment to supporting programming that represents the highest standards of good taste, fair practice and objectivity. We reserve the right to make changes to our purchases when the dialogue is no longer in line with our criteria," the company said in a statement Tuesday.

Red Lobster did not tell The Wrap what impacted its decision, but the chain was not one of the more than 20 companies that ditched Carlson's show in December when he said that illegal immigration makes the country "dirtier" and "poorer." Red Lobster's move comes after Carlson made waves last week with an impactful monologue that included controversial comments about gender roles.

Responding to Mitt Romney's op-ed attack on President Donald Trump, Carlson delivered a wide-ranging critique of American society, politics, and culture that blamed the ruling class and what he sees as Republicans' "worship" of the free market for driving a collapse in families and marriage. The monologue resonated with many of Carlson's followers, and it also prompted significant blowback from some conservatives, as well as some critics who argued that part of his commentary was misogynistic.

In one section of the monologue, the Fox host blamed a decline in men's employment and wages for the decline of marriage among low and middle-income families, arguing that "study after study" had shown that women don't want to marry men who earn less money than them.

"Study after study has shown that when men make less than women, women generally don't want to marry them. Maybe they should want to marry them but they don't," Carlson said. "Over big populations, this causes a drop in marriage, a spike in out of wedlock births and all the familiar disasters that inevitably follow, more drug and alcohol abuse, higher incarcerations rates, fewer families formed in the next generation."



Full Story

0

#2 User is offline   erp 

  • Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 37,047
  • Joined: 29-November 03

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

Red lobster is crap food. When did they get all uppity?
0

#3 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 14,396
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

I neither eat seafood nor watch Tucker Carlson. But now I do have a hankering for cheddar bay biscuits.
0

#4 User is offline   Moderator T 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 36,803
  • Joined: 02-October 03

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 11 January 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I neither eat seafood nor watch Tucker Carlson. But now I do have a hankering for cheddar bay biscuits.

Ever since they started selling the mix at the grocery store I haven't set foot in a Red Lobster. It was the only reason to go in the first place
0

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 55,131
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:29 PM

I once ate at a Red Lobster and it was very good. Good food, good service, friendly atmosphere, clean, etc.

But I admit it was only once and it was years ago, so for all I know it could very well have been a rare exception to the norm.

:shrug:
0

#6 User is offline   grimreefer 

  • U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter
  • Posts: 5,093
  • Joined: 18-December 03

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

View PostModerator T, on 11 January 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

Ever since they started selling the mix at the grocery store I haven't set foot in a Red Lobster. It was the only reason to go in the first place

This.
0

#7 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 29,420
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

View Posterp, on 11 January 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

Red lobster is crap food. When did they get all uppity?

:yeahthat:

Never liked them, never will.
0

#8 User is offline   Mr.Bill 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported
  • Posts: 59
  • Joined: 21-December 04

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

View PostModerator T, on 11 January 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

Ever since they started selling the mix at the grocery store I haven't set foot in a Red Lobster. It was the only reason to go in the first place


I make my own, from scratch, every Friday night. Just finished making them. mm mm good

This post has been edited by Mr.Bill: 11 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

0

#9 User is offline   Big Dave 

  • ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 2,673
  • Joined: 03-March 04

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:20 AM

View Posterp, on 11 January 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

Red lobster is crap food. When did they get all uppity?

They are the Olive Garden of seafood. I don't see how they stay in business in a real seafood capital like Jax but there are two left here.
0

#10 User is offline   erp 

  • Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 37,047
  • Joined: 29-November 03

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:07 AM

View PostBig Dave, on 12 January 2019 - 07:20 AM, said:

They are the Olive Garden of seafood. I don't see how they stay in business in a real seafood capital like Jax but there are two left here.

Because some people have <censored>ty tastebuds.


And you comparison is very apt. Olive Garden and Red Lobster are owned by the same company. ;)
0

#11 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,339
  • Joined: 05-June 15

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

Never ate at a Red Lobster, and never will.
0

#12 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 13,522
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:44 AM

View Posterp, on 12 January 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

Because some people have <censored>ty tastebuds.


And you comparison is very apt. Olive Garden and Red Lobster are owned by the same company. ;)

Used to be, R Lob has been doing poorly enough Darden sold it off. If you’re not doing well it’s a bad idea to piss off half your customer base.

And yeah, home of at best mediocre seafood. If you live in the Midwest, maybe there’s a reason they still exist but anywhere near a coast? Nah. It shocked me a few years back when I heard they were the largest purchaser od shrimp in the world, bought more of it than anyone else.
0

#13 User is offline   erp 

  • Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 37,047
  • Joined: 29-November 03

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostSeverian, on 12 January 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

Used to be, R Lob has been doing poorly enough Darden sold it off. If you’re not doing well it’s a bad idea to piss off half your customer base.

And yeah, home of at best mediocre seafood. If you live in the Midwest, maybe there’s a reason they still exist but anywhere near a coast? Nah. It shocked me a few years back when I heard they were the largest purchaser od shrimp in the world, bought more of it than anyone else.

Yeah, did not catch that they sold them off. Just goes to show how crappy they are. Even Darden won’t go there. ;)
0

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,150
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

View PostBig Dave, on 12 January 2019 - 07:20 AM, said:

They are the Olive Garden of seafood. I don't see how they stay in business in a real seafood capital like Jax but there are two left here.


They USED TO be good, and the original was not far from one of my houses in Orlando. A place called "Gary's Duck Inn" on South Orange Blossom Trail @ 39th St. The original closed in mid '90s as that part of Orlando became increasingly less, shall we say, "Family Friendly", ESPECIALLY about a two mile stretch of South O.B.T that Gary's was right in the middle of; There's a REASON the Orange County Jail is on 33rd street just west of South O.B.T: Less travel time to book the hookers and drug dealers you catch.

-----------------------------

Orlando landmark fades away
Gary's Duck Inn Grew With Orlando, Closes Suddenly
October 11, 1994|By Christine Shenot and Kevin Spear of The Sentinel Staff


Full story on The Orlando Sentinel

Gary's Duck Inn, an Orlando landmark and the inspiration behind the Red Lobster seafood chain, closed last weekend. It was 49.

The popular seafood restaurant at 3974 S. Orange Blossom Trail had been up for sale in recent months. Its current owner, Bud Mills, was unable to spend the money needed to make the business a success, said Art Childress, a manager at the restaurant.

On Friday, with no buyer in sight, Mills told employees the restaurant would close that night for good.

''It's been quite a shock,'' said Childress, who has worked at the restaurant for 26 years. ''It's a shame.

It's a business that has been an institution, a part of Central Florida for many years.''

Gary's Duck Inn opened in 1945, and during the next two decades, its owner, the late Gary Starling, won a loyal following among Central Floridians who had few choices when they wanted to go out for dinner.

It also has drawn celebrities. Entertainers Bob Hope and Dolly Parton, baseball star Rod Carew and basketball star Darryl Dawkins, and countless others have dined at Gary's.

In 1963, Starling sold the business to a group of investors that included Bill Darden, the founder of Red Lobster, now the nation's largest dinner-house chain.

Darden, a Georgia-born restaurateur, was impressed by the popularity of Gary's Duck Inn, and he figured a similar, no-frills seafood concept could catch on nationwide. He opened the first Red Lobster in 1968 and sold the business two years later to General Mills Inc., whose restaurant division is based in Orlando. Darden died last spring.

Today, the legacy of Gary's Duck Inn's has grown to close to 700 restaurants in the U.S. and overseas.

In Orlando, the original is sure to be missed...

...Restaurants eventually rose up around Disney to compete with Gary's Duck Inn. Meanwhile, Orange Blossom Trail gained a reputation for nude bars and crime.

Security guards were hired to protect patrons and their cars, but business began to fall off rapidly about three years ago...


...The restaurant is still for sale, he said. But for now, it has joined a handful of other old-time Central Florida establishments - Freddie's Steak House, Chris's House of Beef and the Villa Nova among them - in the history books.

-----------------------------------

This article is from '94. They never DID find a buyer, and it eventually got torn down and now there's a Dollar General and a 7-11 on that property.
0

#15 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,823
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

I don't like cheesy biscuits so I never got the Red Lobster love.

The only good thing at the Olive Garden are the stuffed mushrooms.
0

#16 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,150
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:48 PM

View PostLadybird, on 12 January 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

I don't like cheesy biscuits so I never got the Red Lobster love.

The only good thing at the Olive Garden are the stuffed mushrooms.


Good but not great. Take any given good biscuit recipe (ESPECIALLY one from either King Arthur or White Lily), fold in some freshly grated cheddar (Or, god-forbid, pasteurize process cheddar-like powder) and there you are.

RL's original claim-to-fame wasn't the biscuits but in making "exotic" seafood accessible to the average middle-class person. I can appreciate that.

One has to appreciate the "era". Grew up in an era ('60s/'70s) where a leftover artifact of the '40s/'50s was the unfinished promise of "Mass Automation" in the kitchen. Pot Pies, TV dinners, etc. But don't take my word for it: Look at any house built in that era. The kitchens are miniscule.

Also, growing up, ANY seafood beyond Mrs. Paul's fish sticks or the occasional trip to Arthur Treachers was beyond our means. Shrimp was "exotic", a once-a-year treat on New Years. (New Years eve: Shrimp cocktail and popcorn. Tradition in the Smithee family for as long as I can remember. Not sure why.)(But, why NOT?)

(THESE Days, I can buy a pound of "Large" frozen shrimp at Kroger for about 6 minutes worth of wages, inconceivable back in the day. And I can do a Shrimp Scampi like nobody's business.)

RL/Gary's was a "breathe of fresh air". They HAVE their place in history.
0

#17 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,150
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 January 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

I once ate at a Red Lobster and it was very good. Good food, good service, friendly atmosphere, clean, etc.

But I admit it was only once and it was years ago, so for all I know it could very well have been a rare exception to the norm.

:shrug:


Well, that's the "Schtick".

I, as a former pro chef, can do Good Great food as much as the next chef. Turn it into a restaurant? NO, that takes a SPECIAL talent beyond merely knowing how to cook. Je ne sais quoi.

I can cook anything on the RL menu even better. But there's a REASON they're a successful chain.
0

#18 User is online   Coach 

  • Coach
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 14,592
  • Joined: 17-November 03

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 January 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

They USED TO be good, and the original was not far from one of my houses in Orlando. A place called "Gary's Duck Inn" on South Orange Blossom Trail @ 39th St. The original closed in mid '90s as that part of Orlando became increasingly less, shall we say, "Family Friendly", ESPECIALLY about a two mile stretch of South O.B.T that Gary's was right in the middle of; There's a REASON the Orange County Jail is on 33rd street just west of South O.B.T: Less travel time to book the hookers and drug dealers you catch.

-----------------------------

Orlando landmark fades away
Gary's Duck Inn Grew With Orlando, Closes Suddenly
October 11, 1994|By Christine Shenot and Kevin Spear of The Sentinel Staff


Full story on The Orlando Sentinel

Gary's Duck Inn, an Orlando landmark and the inspiration behind the Red Lobster seafood chain, closed last weekend. It was 49.

The popular seafood restaurant at 3974 S. Orange Blossom Trail had been up for sale in recent months. Its current owner, Bud Mills, was unable to spend the money needed to make the business a success, said Art Childress, a manager at the restaurant.

On Friday, with no buyer in sight, Mills told employees the restaurant would close that night for good.

''It's been quite a shock,'' said Childress, who has worked at the restaurant for 26 years. ''It's a shame.

It's a business that has been an institution, a part of Central Florida for many years.''

Gary's Duck Inn opened in 1945, and during the next two decades, its owner, the late Gary Starling, won a loyal following among Central Floridians who had few choices when they wanted to go out for dinner.

It also has drawn celebrities. Entertainers Bob Hope and Dolly Parton, baseball star Rod Carew and basketball star Darryl Dawkins, and countless others have dined at Gary's.

In 1963, Starling sold the business to a group of investors that included Bill Darden, the founder of Red Lobster, now the nation's largest dinner-house chain.

Darden, a Georgia-born restaurateur, was impressed by the popularity of Gary's Duck Inn, and he figured a similar, no-frills seafood concept could catch on nationwide. He opened the first Red Lobster in 1968 and sold the business two years later to General Mills Inc., whose restaurant division is based in Orlando. Darden died last spring.

Today, the legacy of Gary's Duck Inn's has grown to close to 700 restaurants in the U.S. and overseas.

In Orlando, the original is sure to be missed...

...Restaurants eventually rose up around Disney to compete with Gary's Duck Inn. Meanwhile, Orange Blossom Trail gained a reputation for nude bars and crime.

Security guards were hired to protect patrons and their cars, but business began to fall off rapidly about three years ago...


...The restaurant is still for sale, he said. But for now, it has joined a handful of other old-time Central Florida establishments - Freddie's Steak House, Chris's House of Beef and the Villa Nova among them - in the history books.

-----------------------------------

This article is from '94. They never DID find a buyer, and it eventually got torn down and now there's a Dollar General and a 7-11 on that property.






I will attest to what Dean Adam says. Back in the 70's it was our favorite place to eat in Orlando. When Mickey Mouse hit Orange County everything started to get out of wack. I would not walk down Orange Blossom even if I was carrying a firearm today.
0

#19 User is offline   AntiObama 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,339
  • Joined: 07-April 09

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

Red Lobster is just like Olive Garden, McDonald's and Denny's.

Who gives a crap?
0

#20 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,150
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostAntiObama, on 12 January 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

Red Lobster is just like Olive Garden, McDonald's and Denny's.

Who gives a crap?


I will argue that point.

Olive garden? Seems to work as a business model. I just can't argue with "success"

McDonald? Well, there is a phenomenon known as the "Cheeseburger Paradox".

Denny's? Got through grad school by ordering a cup of "constant comment" tea and then sipping it through a 'group Study'.

C'mon y'all. We ALL did this in the day. Fess up to it.
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users