RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Progressives Are Determined To Make Conservatives - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Progressives Are Determined To Make Conservatives Out of Perfectly Fine Liberals Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:11 AM

Progressives Are Determined To Make Conservatives Out of Perfectly Fine Liberals

Townhall
Kira Davis
Jan 11, 2019 1:52 PM

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent the views of Townhall.com.

excerpt:

My best friend (I’ll call him Bob) is a self-identified liberal. He was all in for Obama, went all in for Hillary, and considers Oprah Winfrey America’s only living and worthy patron saint. He’s a card-carrying Democrat and is up to speed on all the daily talking points of the party.

Years ago my family moved out to California from Indiana. We hated saying goodbye to Bob but soon a job opportunity brought him out this way as well. At first, Bob was excited to be in a true-blue state like California. These were his people! But soon the reality of day-to-day life under California legislation set in. Still, he was happy to do his part. Sure, taxes were high and infrastructure crumbling. Sure, water restrictions and energy rates were a pain but hey, that’s modern life. Then came the plastic bag ban. It appeared on a ballot one election cycle and like almost everything that ends up on a California ballot it passed and now we no longer have single-use plastic bags. You have to pay ten cents at the store for these thick, weirdly shaped “reusable” plastic bags that don’t even have the decency to fit properly into your wastebasket when you try to reuse it as a trash bag.

Bob had had enough. Shortly after the bag ban passed Bob declared, “This is so stupid! I don’t want this. I don’t know anyone who wanted it. I want to decide for myself what kind of bags I use and when. This state is determined to make conservatives out of perfectly fine liberals!”

As I observed the backlash aimed at Ellen DeGeneres after she defended Kevin Hart I couldn’t help but think of Bob’s declaration.

What we are witnessing now in our culture is unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. The far-left has hijacked the liberal narrative and has figured out how to use social media as a bludgeon. That bludgeon was fine when it was just aimed at the likes of Roseanne Barr. Sure, maybe it was unfair to completely tank her entire life based on one controversial tweet (and literally nothing else) but sometimes some things have to be sacrificed in order to make a point. Lots of celebrities got on the “down with Roseanne” bandwagon, not necessarily because they believe she suddenly turned into a racist after 30 years in the business, but because it’s important to stand up for the “cause”. Fair enough.

Then suddenly those celebrities who were happy to dance on Roseanne’s digital grave found themselves caught in the same clutches and held to the same standards. Proudly left-wing comedians are being forced to apologize for jokes deemed offensive. Proud Democrat actors and actresses are being forced to apologize for years-old interviews and social media posts made long before any of us had the notion of “intersectionality” or “cisgender patriarchy” shoved down our throats on a daily basis.

Writer/actor Mark Duplass - an unabashed Hollywood liberal - was forced to apologize and backtrack for simply defending Ben Shapiro as a decent guy who was always respectful and pleasant. Twitter came down on Duplass like a ton of bricks and even his liberal bonafides couldn’t save him. After a day of protests (and most likely a call from his publicist) Duplass walked back his statements and apologized for suggesting that Shapiro wasn’t Literally Hitler™.

*SNIP*

It is my suspicion that the progressive mobs are so strongly pushing away their Hollywood allies that many of those allies might be heading for a change of heart, at least when it comes to free expression and tolerance of competing ideas. The liberal left may have won the battle to push conservative ideas out of the entertainment space, but progressive tyranny may very well be welcoming those ideas back simply because they’ve exhausted their allies.

If things keep going the way they are, the progressive left just may well make a lot of conservatives out of otherwise perfectly fine liberals.

LINK

I wouldn't hold my breath for a major shift, but I know quite a few Liberals who voted for Trump and are appalled by the state and direction of the democrat party. Maybe there will be enough to offset the "Republican" morons who campaigned for and voted for HRC? :shrug:

#2 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:17 AM

I have seen/heard a few die hard libtards at my work recently complaining about how nutty that the democrapic party has become. They also support Trump on the wall and stopping illegal aliens.

Never in a million years would I have ever heard them say these things.

So yes it is true, the nutty proggy left is indeed making conservatives out of some liberals.

(Note that I didn't include the "perfectly fine" part because libtards/proggies are never perfect nor are they ever fine.)

Then again I work with two idiots who are addled/deluded with the MSNBC CNN nevertrumper crap because they are both stupid idiots who are barely able to function at doing anything.

There are several who now have avoided ever talking to me much or at all ever since Trump got elected.

Thank God! :)

#3 User is offline   Timothy 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:00 AM

I have a fair bit of criticism of the left these days. It's become way too much people defining themselves by what they are against as opposed to what they are for. I'm not at all down for the shift against freedom of speech (and I mean actually trying to silence people, not merely people facing a backlash.) Rather than using social justice as a tool to get people more open-minded about the experiences of other people (what it should be), it is often used to bludgeon people and tell them they aren't allowed to think for themselves on things. Too much vinegar and not enough honey.

That all being said, the Republican party has gone batsh*t crazy. I disliked Bush but he at least had a basic sense of common human decency, honesty, and intellectual consistency, things Trump utterly lacks. I have a couple of friends who used to be swing votes or vote Republican but now consistently vote Democratic. Centrist or moderate conservative on economic issues, centrist or moderate liberal on social issues, leaning towards the libertarian end of the spectrum. Several liked and voted for Romney, but they all strongly dislike Trump and right-wing populism.

#4 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostTimothy, on 13 January 2019 - 02:00 AM, said:

I have a fair bit of criticism of the left these days. It's become way too much people defining themselves by what they are against as opposed to what they are for. I'm not at all down for the shift against freedom of speech (and I mean actually trying to silence people, not merely people facing a backlash.) Rather than using social justice as a tool to get people more open-minded about the experiences of other people (what it should be), it is often used to bludgeon people and tell them they aren't allowed to think for themselves on things. Too much vinegar and not enough honey.

That all being said, the Republican party has gone batsh*t crazy. I disliked Bush but he at least had a basic sense of common human decency, honesty, and intellectual consistency, things Trump utterly lacks. I have a couple of friends who used to be swing votes or vote Republican but now consistently vote Democratic. Centrist or moderate conservative on economic issues, centrist or moderate liberal on social issues, leaning towards the libertarian end of the spectrum. Several liked and voted for Romney, but they all strongly dislike Trump and right-wing populism.

I know a lot of people who are the same as your friends in their starting positions but are the exact opposite of your friends in their conclusions.

They think the American left has gone bat <censored> crazy since about Obama and is getting worse. They think Trump and the wall are absolutely correct and the left is to blame for the shutdown.

So, one anecdote versus another.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users