RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Measles Outbreak Prompts State of Emergency in Washington - RightNation.US

Measles Outbreak Prompts State of Emergency in Washington Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

Measles Outbreak Prompts State of Emergency in Washington
Gaby Galvin ē Jan. 28, 2019, at 10:48 a.m.

Washington has declared a state of emergency over a measles outbreak that's occurred primarily among unvaccinated children in a southwestern county.

In Clark County, health officials have identified 34 confirmed cases of measles since Jan. 1. At least 30 patients had not been vaccinated against the highly contagious viral infection. The immunization status for four cases was not verified, and another nine cases are suspected.

Twenty-four of the confirmed cases were among children 10 or younger, while just one case was among a patient older than 18. One child was hospitalized, and a Seattle man who had visited the county also contracted measles, local health officials said.

The measles outbreak and its effects impact the life and health of our people, as well as the economy of Washington State, and is a public disaster that affects life, health, property or the public peace," Gov. Jay Inslee said in a proclamation declaring the statewide emergency.

Clark County Ė home to about 475,000 people and situated outside Portland, Oregon Ė declared a local emergency Jan. 18. Low vaccination rates make the Portland area a "hot spot" for outbreaks, Peter Hotez, a professor and dean at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, told The Seattle Times.

State data show only about 77 percent of Clark County kindergarteners had completed their vaccinations for the 2017-2018 school year, down from 91.4 percent in 2004-2005. Health experts say roughly 95 percent of people should be vaccinated to create "herd immunity" against a contagious disease like measles.

<snip>

Link

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 28 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

#2 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

I guess the first reaction would be to wonder why these kids weren't vaccinated. But parents have been fighting compulsory vaccinations for years, going back to smallpox, and it isn't just a fringe thing. Plus, it is a little unsettling, given the credibility of today's media (none), that they practically lead with the unvaccinated children angle. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, this reinforces the notion that media conglomerates are shills for an ever expanding, activist government.

#3 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

There are SOME vaccines I'm skeptical of. I RARELY get a flu vaccine, for instance. Last time I got it was '13 or so in Tennessee. Came down with the flu 2 or 3 days later.

The CDC has a list of "recommended" vaccinations that seems a bit much, but I can't argue with the 'traditional' ones: Polio, MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), and DPT (Diptheria, Pertussis (whooping cough), Tuberculosis).

I am firmly opposed to "requiring" these. But I equally firmly support public and private schools being allowed to reject any students who HAVEN'T had at least these basics.

#4 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

BFD.

It's just the measles. It ain't the end of the world.

We all got it when I was a kid.

Just like the mumps and chicken pox.

It sucks, but then you get over it.

People need to toughen the hell up.

About 3 out of 5 at work that get the flu shots got sick from them. Yet these same suckers will line up and get them every year and miss work when those of us who don't don't even get sick.

People will believe/fall for any propaganda from the "medical industry" without doubt or common sense.

The day when doctors and big pharma people outlive us, then maybe we should listen, but the fact is that most doctors on average only live until the age of 56.

Physician, heal thyself or STFU.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 28 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

#5 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

We get a lot of immigrants up here, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what started it - non-vaxxed furrners. Just add it to the pile of reasons we have an emergency crisis at the border...

#6 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Thinking there is essentially two factors.

The first being the massive influx of un vaccinated bringing the diseases to the country, and the second being a growing number of un vaccinated people such as the children of those who refuse vaccines.

I can't get a flu shot due to having Guillian Bare Syndrome.

My daughters pediatrician 'recommended' the Guardisill Vaccine a few years back. We wouldn't do it because we found out the effectiveness isn't exactly that great and the side effects included G.B.S. and they did a nice job cooking the numbers in trying to make it appear the rates where no higher than general population.

A few years back when it came time for the kids to get Flu Shots we learned that the multi use shot contained Thimerasol, it is a mercury based preservative. Last I checked the F.D.A. has said ANY AMOUNT of Mercury is a bad thing. So how they could authorize even trace amounts in a vaccine is beyond me. So what did we do? Not have our kids get the flu shot? Nope, we had them receive the inhaled kind WHICH DID NOT CONTAIN THE THIMERASOL.

Do a little research, case by case basis, or should I say shot by shot, then decide.
The belief that Vaccines cause Autism is bogus, BUT, is it possible that certain ingredients could? I think that's possible. At the same time though that doesn't mean you don't get kids vaccinated or look for other methods of delivery which don't contain the suspect chemicals.

Some people simply need to get of their asses and do some research first.

Oki

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

My sister got the measles and almost died. This was, I guess, before the vaccine was available. They sent me with relatives for weeks. I never was given the vaccine because I was allergic to chicken, so doctors all refused. Never got the measles.
I did get the german measles and chicken pox, but never got as sick as my sister.

#8 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostRock N, on 28 January 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

BFD.

About 3 out of 5 at work that get the flu shots all got sick from them
. Yet these same suckers will line up and get them every year and miss work when those of us who don't don't even get sick.

(Have I mentioned that I DON'T get Flue shots every year? But the "basics" are necessary" Polio, DPT. MMR. If you kid HASN'T had at least the "basics". then I have no quarrel by being rejected by Public Schools. Yeah, I don't want your snot-nosed kid with the flu next to mine in the spring play. It is what it is.)

People will believe/fall for any propaganda from the "medical industry" without doubt or common sense.

The day when doctors and big pharma people outlive us, then maybe we should listen, but the fact is that most doctors on average only live until the age of 56.

#9 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostLadybird, on 28 January 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

My sister got the measles and almost died. This was, I guess, before the vaccine was available. They sent me with relatives for weeks. I never was given the vaccine because I was allergic to chicken, so doctors all refused. Never got the measles.
I did get the german measles and chicken pox, but never got as sick as my sister.

As a kid I was exposed to chicken pox several times but never caught it. Hope I don't get it now. My sister was maybe 5 or 6 when she got it, and it didn't bother her in the least. A woman down the street from us caught it as an adult and was hospitalized because of it. I do remember as a kid getting shots for measles, mumps, and rubella. I don't even remember what rubella is...

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 28 January 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

As a kid I was exposed to chicken pox several times but never caught it. Hope I don't get it now. My sister was maybe 5 or 6 when she got it, and it didn't bother her in the least. A woman down the street from us caught it as an adult and was hospitalized because of it. I do remember as a kid getting shots for measles, mumps, and rubella. I don't even remember what rubella is...

Me neither, but I do remember a commercial that called it the "rubella umbrella".

#11 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 28 January 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

I came down with the chicken pox on the first day of summer vacation after the fourth grade. What a rotten luck for a kid.

#12 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 28 January 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

I came down with the chicken pox on the first day of summer vacation after the fourth grade. What a rotten luck for a kid.

I still have a tiny scar on my stomach from the chicken pox.

#13 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostRock N, on 28 January 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

BFD.

About 3 out of 5 at work that get the flu shots got sick from them. Yet these same suckers will line up and get them every year and miss work when those of us who don't don't even get sick.

I almost died from complications of Chicken Pox when I was about 10-11 months old. I had ataxia from it. I had just started to walk. I was paralyzed for several weeks and I had to learn to walk all over again, according to my mother.

I had several relatives who died in the early 1900ís from diseases that we donít worry about these days. My grandmother had three brother and two sisters, but the brothers all died from diseases, one from the 1918 flu epidemic and the other two from common diseases such as measles.

We forget that those ďsimpleĒ childhood diseases used to kill a lot of children/people before the days of vaccines. They still do in countries that donít vaccinate and then those immigrants come here and the diseases are spread among the kids who havenít been vaccinated by misguided parents. If you donít want to vaccinate, so be it, but you should be aware that diseases are becoming more and more prevalent because of it these days.

#14 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostLadybird, on 28 January 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Me neither, but I do remember a commercial that called it the "rubella umbrella".

Rubella is also called German measles. It's not usually that bad, unless you are pregnant. Then it can cause birth defects.

#15 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

View PostLadybird, on 28 January 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

I still have a tiny scar on my stomach from the chicken pox.

My daughter brought them home from school. My ex-wife was from Thailand and was never exposed until then. They made her very sick, high fevers, blinding headaches and hallucinations. It's not a trivial virus.

In spite of what certain idiots say, none of them are. This is why innoculations are so important.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 28 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

#16 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 28 January 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

Catching it two weeks earlier would have been golden. You wouldn't really feel sick, but you still would have had to stay home from school.

#17 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 28 January 2019 - 07:30 PM, said:

I almost died from complications of Chicken Pox when I was about 10-11 months old. I had ataxia from it. I had just started to walk. I was paralyzed for several weeks and I had to learn to walk all over again, according to my mother.

I had several relatives who died in the early 1900ís from diseases that we donít worry about these days. My grandmother had three brother and two sisters, but the brothers all died from diseases, one from the 1918 flu epidemic and the other two from common diseases such as measles.

We forget that those ďsimpleĒ childhood diseases used to kill a lot of children/people before the days of vaccines. They still do in countries that donít vaccinate and then those immigrants come here and the diseases are spread among the kids who havenít been vaccinated by misguided parents. If you donít want to vaccinate, so be it, but you should be aware that diseases are becoming more and more prevalent because of it these days.

Whoever develops the vaccine for the common cold (assuming he/she is not employed by a pharmaceutical company that secures patent rights to anything their employees develop), will be the first person in history worth 10 figures...

#18 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:01 AM

Our population has been pretty spoiled as far as some of these things go. As Bootsie said there, can be complications from these "simple childhood diseases" that too many don't realize because they are much more rare than when I was a kid in the 1950s/60s.

#19 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:17 AM

A very simple rule we used with our children (and yes, they got all the school-required vaccinations) at the pediatrician was to not have them get all 3 or 4 shots on the same visit. We spread them out over 2 or 3 visits. More effort and a bit more expensive, but we thought a reasonable safeguard.

I also donít get the flu vaccine but thatís because there are ways to boost your immune response in multiple natural ways and because using some common sense (wash your hands) without going crazy really does work.

ETA: thereís a subgroup of medical professionals - chiropractors - who advice people against all vaccinations. I go to a chiropractor and value their care but I disagree with them on this issue.

This post has been edited by zurg: 29 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

#20 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

View Postzurg, on 29 January 2019 - 06:17 AM, said:

A very simple rule we used with our children (and yes, they got all the school-required vaccinations) at the pediatrician was to not have them get all 3 or 4 shots on the same visit. We spread them out over 2 or 3 visits. More effort and a bit more expensive, but we thought a reasonable safeguard.

I also donít get the flu vaccine but thatís because there are ways to boost your immune response in multiple natural ways and because using some common sense (wash your hands) without going crazy really does work.

ETA: thereís a subgroup of medical professionals - chiropractors - who advice people against all vaccinations. I go to a chiropractor and value their care but I disagree with them on this issue.

I've seen some theories on autism that purport to link it to, not any particular vaccine, but the fact of getting Too Many at once. I don't believe it has ever been 'proven', but there is JUST enough of a statistical blip that I put it in the "why take any chances?" category. Better safe than sorry.

But even before the Autism scare, it just seemed like a good idea to spread it out. After all, the whole point of a vaccine is to get the body to produce antibodies in response and "train" the immune system, so to speak, and while I have absolutely ZERO data to back it up it just seems logical that the body can do this more effectively one at a time.

As for 'cost' and effort? What I especially like is the increasing trend (at least in some states) towards allowing pharmacists to give not just flu shots but the whole spectrum of school-required vaccines. And when it comes right down to it, I trust pharmacists MORE than MDs when it comes to understanding drugs and drug interactions and reactions... because that's precisely what they're educated in.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users