RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Gordon Ramsay under fire for 'authentic Asian' restaurant - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Gordon Ramsay under fire for 'authentic Asian' restaurant Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LongKnife 

  • Don't start none, won't be none.
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,910
  • Joined: 10-November 04

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

Gordon Ramsay under fire for plans to open 'authentic Asian' restaurant
Fox News
Michelle Gant
February 7, 2019

Gordon Ramsay’s latest venture hasn’t even opened yet but it’s already facing criticism.

The celebrity chef announced his restaurant group will be opening a new “authentic Asian” restaurant in London this summer.

Lucky Cat will replace Ramsay’s current Mayfair spot, Maze, which is set to close in mid-February.

The “revolutionary new venture and concept for the group…is set to be an authentic Asian Eating House and vibrant late-night lounge, inspired by the drinking dens of 1930s Tokyo and the Far East,” according to a press release, per Eater.

“I can’t wait to open the doors at Lucky Cat and bring a new flavor of Asian food and culture to Mayfair. I can honestly say there will not be a bad seat in the house — every table will have a unique view and each guest will come away having experienced something sensational — whether it be the phenomenal menu, the amazing service or the stunning look and feel,” Ramsay said in a statement.

The name of the restaurant was inspired by Asian culture “where the ‘lucky cat’ is a talisman that is believed to attract good luck and fortune” to go along with the “authenticity of the concept.”

“The new restaurant highlights Gordon Ramsay Restaurants’ continued innovation and creativity and is set to become the go-to destination for exquisite, authentic Asian cuisine and culture in the heart of Mayfair, thriving on an ethos of respect and passion that is channeled into every dish.”

Story
0

#2 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 14,266
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

There are three Asian restaurants within walking distance of where I work. The people working the register are all old Asians with the occasional son or daughter helping out. The kitchen staff is all Mexican at each restaurant. I don't see how Gordon Ramsay's concept is any different as long as the cuisine is prepared in a traditional, authentic manner.

This post has been edited by gravelrash: 07 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

0

#3 User is online   Censport 

  • @CensportRacing
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 16,088
  • Joined: 13-August 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 07 February 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

There are three Asian restaurants within walking distance of where I work. The people working the register are all old Asians with the occasional son or daughter helping out. The kitchen staff is all Mexican at each restaurant. I don't see how Gordon Ramsay's concept is any different as long as the cuisine is prepared in a traditional, authentic manner.

Nashville has a large Japanese community (it's home to Nissan North America, Bridgestone North America, a consulate, etc.), and we have lots of Asian/Japanese restaurants. One would think with all the Japanese people in town, we'd have more than two restaurants that are actually run by Japanese people instead of Koreans, Chinese, and Mexicans. Alas...

And yes, the food at the two restaurants run by Japanese people is noticeably more authentic. Not just according to me, but also to the Japanese community here.

0

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,697
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

Wish he opened one here.
0

#5 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 6,272
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

In my experience, "Asian" restaurants suck hairy balls. Chinese restaurants can be wonderful. As can Korean, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Indonesian, Filipino, etc... However, Pan-Asian is usually bland and pedestrian.

As far as PC attacks, it's crap. He can call his restaurant anything he wants.
0

#6 User is offline   scotsman 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 17,036
  • Joined: 02-December 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

Met him once (we both follow the same famous soccer club, which he was lucky enough to actually play for, albeit very briefly back in the mid 80s). Like me, still a fanatical supporter.

Actually quite quiet when being himself. Nice guy.
0

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 54,748
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

I couldn't care less about "cultural appropriation" :rolleyes:. I don't care if an Indian makes my Italian food, or if an Italian makes my Mexican food, or a Mexican makes my Chinese food, or a Chinese person makes my hamburger. As long as it tastes good, what's the difference?

People are WAY too touchy about this kinda stuff.

<_<
0

#8 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 26,200
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

View Postscotsman, on 07 February 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Met him once (we both follow the same famous soccer club, which he was lucky enough to actually play for, albeit very briefly back in the mid 80s). Like me, still a fanatical supporter.

Actually quite quiet when being himself. Nice guy.


I would love to meet Ramsey, he really appears to be a great guy. Truthful, caring and passionate are the words I would use to describe him and I have watched every show he's made up to about season 4. I hope his new restaurant kicks butt.
0

#9 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 13,413
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 February 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

Wish he opened one here.

Ditto, I live in a Podunk town and there's not a decent Chinese restaurant within an hour plus drive. We have an OK sushi place, and a really good Korean place though.

For Chinese I'm lucky my friend taught me to cook, he was Cantonese from Hong Kong. I do pretty well for a round eyes, better than ANY restaurant here in town
0

#10 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

  • Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 29,252
  • Joined: 14-October 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 February 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

I couldn't care less about "cultural appropriation" :rolleyes:. I don't care if an Indian makes my Italian food, or if an Italian makes my Mexican food, or a Mexican makes my Chinese food, or a Chinese person makes my hamburger. As long as it tastes good, what's the difference?

People are WAY too touchy about this kinda stuff.

<_<

:exactly: :clap:
0

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 54,748
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

View PostRock N, on 07 February 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

:exactly: :clap:


;)
0

#12 User is online   Bookdoc 

  • Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,899
  • Joined: 07-September 05

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 February 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

I couldn't care less about "cultural appropriation" :rolleyes:. I don't care if an Indian makes my Italian food, or if an Italian makes my Mexican food, or a Mexican makes my Chinese food, or a Chinese person makes my hamburger. As long as it tastes good, what's the difference?

People are WAY too touchy about this kinda stuff.

<_<

Not only that, most of what we call Italian, Chinese, or Mexican consists of American created foods. I remember being in Mexico City at a restaurant that served American Mexican food (fajita, burritos, tacos, etc). It was a big hit with Mexicans who'd never tasted the stuff!
0

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 54,748
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 07 February 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Not only that, most of what we call Italian, Chinese, or Mexican consists of American created foods. I remember being in Mexico City at a restaurant that served American Mexican food (fajita, burritos, tacos, etc). It was a big hit with Mexicans who'd never tasted the stuff!


I believe it, lol!

:yes:
0

#14 User is online   Buckwheat Jones 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 8,426
  • Joined: 08-May 03

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

View Postscotsman, on 07 February 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Met him once (we both follow the same famous soccer club, which he was lucky enough to actually play for, albeit very briefly back in the mid 80s). Like me, still a fanatical supporter.

Actually quite quiet when being himself. Nice guy.

That’s my impression of him. The Brit versions of his shows are waaaayy better than the slop they make us watch here.
0

#15 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,697
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

I like cooking shows, but not all the screaming and drama that is a major feature of Ramsey’s show. Top Chef, on the other hand, has a little side drama, but mostly it’s all about the cooking and the food.

I’ve only watched two episodes of Ramsey’s show. Maybe my impression is wrong.
0

#16 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 54,748
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

The only cooking show I ever watched was "The Galloping Gourmet". Anybody else remember him?

B)
0

#17 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 13,413
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 February 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

The only cooking show I ever watched was "The Galloping Gourmet". Anybody else remember him?

B)

I remember the name but never watched it. I used to love the original Japanese Iron Chef, it was just so weird. As for teach you to cook shows, the ne plus ultra is Alton Brown's Good Eats. He noticed cooking shows were terrible and went to culinary school to learn how to do a show, he said there were three things that he wanted his show to be like, Mr. Wizard, Julia Child, and Monty Python, and he managed it. Funny, full of puns and sketches, but heavy on science, history and technique.
0

#18 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 54,748
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostSeverian, on 11 February 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

I remember the name but never watched it. I used to love the original Japanese Iron Chef, it was just so weird. As for teach you to cook shows, the ne plus ultra is Alton Brown's Good Eats. He noticed cooking shows were terrible and went to culinary school to learn how to do a show, he said there were three things that he wanted his show to be like, Mr. Wizard, Julia Child, and Monty Python, and he managed it. Funny, full of puns and sketches, but heavy on science, history and technique.


Well I dunno if Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) cared about science or history or technique, LOL, but his show was hilarious. I didn't care about learning to cook, I just watched it because he was so funny.

B)
0

#19 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 13,413
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:59 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 February 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

Well I dunno if Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) cared about science or history or technique, LOL, but his show was hilarious. I didn't care about learning to cook, I just watched it because he was so funny.

B)

So's Alton Brown. His show on coleslaw was called "Salad Days, The Long Arm Of The Slaw." Carrots? "A Taproot Orange." When he talked about yeast making CO2, he had little sock puppets of yeast beasties that belched and burped. A hysterically funny show that taught you history, technique, and how to cook all at the same time. Brilliant. He's a Georgia boy, lives up in Marietta.
0

#20 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,697
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

I remember The Frugal Gourmet from the 80's. He was a minister that wore a rabbits foot, which I thought was kind of funny. An entertaining guy, but not over the top showboating. Great, practical recipes.
He had a scandal and slinked away.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users