RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Nashville is the first city in the South to recognize LGBT-owned busin - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nashville is the first city in the South to recognize LGBT-owned busin businesses in contracting Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Censport 

• @CensportRacing
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:50 PM

Nashville is the first city in the South to recognize LGBT-owned businesses in contracting
Nashville Tennessean
Yihyun Jeong
Published 12:04 p.m. CT Feb. 11, 2019

Nashville became the first city in the South to recognize LGBT-owned business contributions to its city on Monday with an executive order signed by Mayor David Briley.

The order affirms LGBT-owned businesses inclusion as a recognized category for Metro procurement and contracting.

Its a historic day for this city and for the South, but its part of a long-standing tradition in Nashville of demonstrating a commitment to everybody who lives in this city and making our city more inclusive for equitable economic opportunity," Briley said before signing the order.

The order will track procurement and spending of public money with LGBT-owned businesses in Nashville, data that no other city in the South currently captures.

The order will also:

• Allow businesses to self-identify as LGBT-owned in business registration documents related to procurement.
  • Develop a process to acknowledge LGBT certification and the National LGBT Chamber of Commerce as the certifying entity.
  • Provide LGBT-owned businesses with similar programs and services as those offered to minority, service disabled, small, and women-owned businesses in Davidson County, including informing them about procurement opportunities with Metro.
  • Include LGBT-certified business in future disparity studies.

"We want to make sure that in this moment of prosperity, that no matter who you love or what you look like or no matter what your background or gender ... you have a level playing field and fair shot at prosperity," Briley said.

National and Nashville Camber of Commerce, Comcast and council members Nancy Van Reece, Tanaka Vercher and Brett Withers joined Briley in making the announcement Monday morning.

Nashville already includes women- and minority-owned businesses in its procurement process.

In September, city consultants found companies owned by women or minorities are significantly underutilized in Metro Nashville government, shedding fresh light on a contracting problem that has existed in the city for years.

Briley and multiple black Metro Council members proposed the city outline annual race and gender procurement goals for Metro government based on market availability, among other requirements. The council voted unanimously early this year to sign off on the Equal Business Opportunity ordinance.

"Today I am privileged and honored to be a part of history," said Shovann Staton-Backus, owner of Stiletto Chef and a member of the Nashville LGBT Chamber of Commerce.

I feel like I have beat the odds and I can be the face and let everyone know this is OK ... to love who you love and for there still to be opportunities ... being am a black business owner, a female business owner and part of the LGBT community.

Link

#2 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:45 PM

who gives a shidt what the sexual orientation is of a business owner?

as long as they provide a good products for a fair price, NOTHING else should matter...

But in the case of special interest groups, they want to take advantage of those SJWs who can't see their own bigotry and use them to make money...

Wait... How many times have we been told that capitalism is bad?

#3 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:47 PM

The order affirms LGBT-owned businesses inclusion as a recognized category for Metro procurement and contracting.

Its a historic day for this city and for the South, but its part of a long-standing tradition in Nashville of demonstrating a commitment to everybody who lives in this city and making our city more inclusive for equitable economic opportunity," Briley said before signing the order.

The order will track procurement and spending of public money with LGBT-owned businesses in Nashville, data that no other city in the South currently captures.

What it means is that the city of Nashville will grant contracts based on kickbacks. Instead of hiring at lowest bid with outcome or performance incentives, the city will spend more on a "protected" businesses with expectation that a percentage will find its way into the bank accounts of the mayor and a few city council members.

It has the veneer of "inclusive" and "equitable economic opportunity". It's called grafting and it's highly illegal. Substitute "LGBT-" with "white-owned" and see how far you get.

#4 User is online   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:17 AM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 11 February 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

as long as they provide a good products for a fair price, NOTHING else should matter...

But in the case of special interest groups, they want to take advantage of those SJWs who can't see their own bigotry and use them to make money...

Yep. In a sane world, the private lives of the business owners would be nobody else's business. But gravelrash sees right through it:

View Postgravelrash, on 11 February 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

What it means is that the city of Nashville will grant contracts based on kickbacks. Instead of hiring at lowest bid with outcome or performance incentives, the city will spend more on a "protected" businesses with expectation that a percentage will find its way into the bank accounts of the mayor and a few city council members.

It has the veneer of "inclusive" and "equitable economic opportunity". It's called grafting and it's highly illegal. Substitute "LGBT-" with "white-owned" and see how far you get.

Bullseye.

#5 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:02 AM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 11 February 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

The Left does. To them, Identity Politics is all-consuming, the First Commandment, if you will.

#6 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:06 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 11 February 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

Substitute "LGBT-" with "white-owned" and see how far you get.

It's rewarding $$ to preferred demographics. It's flagrantly discriminatory. But to paraphrase Orwell, again: Some animals are more equal than others.

I personally do not shop anywhere based on whether or not they're LBTQIUAKJAKJZXQSDIUG, and wouldn't want customers to shop my establishment if that's the reason they're doing it. But then again, I'm a racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, speciesist, sexist, ableist, xenophobic Neanderthal, so what do I know? :shrug:

PS The only way I patronize (or decline to patronize) a business is whether they're outwardly Conservative or Liberal :P

#7 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:45 AM

I wish they would could just be honest as they drive the dividing wedges in deeper and state that all contracts will be awarded to any business not owned by hetero white males. It'd save everyone a lot of time and posturing.

#8 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

Ticked@TinselTown, on 11 February 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

That's not it. There is no competiton in these kinds of business deals to be the cheapest or the best. It is affirmative action based upon PC group behavior. It is pure bullshidt.

This means that they will be preferentially given the city's business regardless of their price or quality of products and services.

This same sort of shidt is done for other "disadvantaged" businesses too, such as women and minority owned businesses. We have this same crap here too. They are NOT the lowest bidders but in fact they usually cost a helluva lot more and have a lesser quality product and services over other bigger more competitive businesses and they cost the taxpayers lots more money.

I work for the county here so I know all about it first hand. It is nothing but PC progtard feel good garbage in the name of SJW "fairness" that that wastes lots of taxpayer's money requiring favor of inferior businesses that do not deserve it.

Where I work we have several of such suck ass "disadvantaged business" contractors working for us doing their shoddy crappy half assed work that always has problems afterwards. They never get fired. Ever. We are always forced to hire other contractors to fix their work after the fact. It's all on purpose by design. It's a frustrating waste and nothing ever gets done right the first time and it's all caused by proggy politicians micro managing our jobs. And often the contractors hired to fix the disasters are relatives of the politicians and board members so this is how the politicians and board members get their kickbacks/payoffs.

It REALLY pisses me off! :redhot:

This goes on everywhere and is why we taxpayers and utility rate payers pay for "$600 dollar hammers" and other mandated wasteful fraudulent spending. If this graft, malfeasance and fraud were stopped, everything would cost SOOO MUCH LESS and all of us would live much better lives because the taxes and costs of living would be less than half of what they are. If the masses of sheeple only knew what was really going on behind the scenes!

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 12 February 2019 - 02:40 AM

#9 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:49 AM

When you let Kalifornia invade Nashville.

#10 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:57 AM

View PostRock N, on 12 February 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

That's not it. There is no competiton in these kinds of business deals to be the cheapest or the best. It is affirmative action based upon PC group behavior. It is pure bullshidt.

This means that they will be preferentially given the city's business regardless of their price or quality of products and services.

This same sort of shidt is done for other "disadvantaged" businesses too, such as women and minority owned businesses. We have this same crap here too. They are NOT the lowest bidders but in fact they usually cost a helluva lot more and have a lesser quality product and services over other bigger more competitive businesses and they cost the taxpayers lots more money.

I work for the county here so I know all about it first hand. It is nothing but PC progtard feel good garbage in the name of SJW "fairness" that that wastes lots of taxpayer's money requiring favor of inferior businesses that do not deserve it.

Where I work we have several of such suck ass "disadvantaged business" contractors working for us doing their shoddy crappy half assed work that always has problems afterwards. They never get fired. Ever. We are always forced to hire other contractors to fix their work after the fact. It's all on purpose by design. It's a frustrating waste and nothing ever gets done right the first time and it's all caused by proggy politicians micro managing our jobs. And often the contractors hired to fix the disasters are relatives of the politicians and board members so this is how the politicians and board members get their kickbacks/payoffs.

It REALLY pisses me off! :redhot:

This goes on everywhere and is why we taxpayers and utility rate payers pay for "$600 dollar hammers" and other mandated wasteful fraudulent spending. If this graft, malfeasance and fraud were stopped, everything would cost SOOO MUCH LESS and all of us would live much better lives because the taxes and costs of living would be less than half of what they are. If the masses of sheeple only knew what was really going on behind the scenes!

At the Federal level, agencies that want to avoid the hassle of a contracting competition can "set aside" contracts for these "disadvantaged" businesses. The government will actually go out of its way to avoid competition to favor a special interest group.

Minority owned.
Veteran owned.
Disabled veteran owned.

Now we are going to favor those who put their junk in alternate orifices or are confused about what junk they have vs. what junk they think they should have.

Anything but ability to deliver a product or a service at the best quality/price mix for the taxpayers' money.

This post has been edited by JerryL: 12 February 2019 - 06:59 AM

#11 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:16 AM

Some businesses are more equal than others.

#12 User is offline   Alexis 

• <no title>

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

This stinks to high heaven!

#13 User is online   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

View PostRedSoloCup, on 12 February 2019 - 05:49 AM, said:

When you let Kalifornia invade Nashville.

We really should have vetted our immigrants.

Although Briley is a native. His grandfather was mayor.

Megan Barry, however, was a San Francisco transplant, and lived down to the stereotype with... passion.
;)

#14 User is offline   MADGestic 

• Trey Dae dlea
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

I prefer non-discrimination policies over this kind of thing; it reeks of quotas. However, for context, this is happening all over:

Just two years after Nashville became the first city in Tennessee to pass an LGBTQ-inclusive nondiscrimination ordinance, Republican Gov. Bill Haslam signed legislation preventing local municipalities from offering protections to citizens not covered by state law.

LGBTQ groups like Lambda Legal and the National Center for Lesbian Rights have sought to overturn the preemption law, thus far unsuccessfully.

A similar divide could be brewing in 2019. As LGBTQ Nation previously reported, Republican lawmakers in the Tennessee General Assembly are pushing a pair of bills that would allow adoption and foster care agencies to turn away same-sex couples.

Similar legislation was passed last year in Kansas and Oklahoma.

This week conservatives also reintroduced the Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act. First put forward in 2016, it seeks to "defend natural marriage between one man and one woman regardless of any court decision to the contrary."

Drill down for hyperlinked references.

When there are such obvious legislative attempts to turn minorities into second class citizens, by essentially licensing their invidious treatment, it's not at all surprising to see pushback.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users