RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Alex Trebek - RightNation.US

Alex Trebek Cancer Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:32 PM

Any other Jeopardy fans here? I'm a HUGE fan of the show. Watch it almost every night. Had to say "almost" because naturally there are occasions when we're not home, or the power is off, or the show is cancelled or something along those lines. But whenever I can watch it, I do. And my girlfriend keeps score for me, too: I have to not only get the correct answer, I have to blurt it out before the TV contestants do. And if I get it wrong she subtracts it from my score just like on the show. And same with the "Daily Double" questions - I have to establish my bet in advance and I have to get it right before the TV contestant gets it.

We have notebooks full of hundreds of scores (because we've been doing this for years), and my average hovers just above 50% wins (in other words, I beat the TV winner just over half the time.) I even beat Ken Jennings three separate times!

Anyhow, enough bragging. Here's the bad news: Alex Trebek has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

:(

#2 User is offline   BARman29 

• Stay resolute.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:48 PM

Something to be said for longevity. Jeopardy! will not be the same.

#3 User is offline   usapatriot 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

My sister's long-time boyfriend was diagnosed six months ago with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and just recently died. My sister and I am a firm believers in holistic medicine, proper eating (diet) and exercise to heal the body, but he was adamant he was going to go the chemotherapy and radiation route. I told my wife that he would dead in six months. Trebek will likely follow the same advice from his doctors and he will be dead in six months. Very sad as I too love the show like millions of others. He seems like just a genuinely nice guy. How long has he been doing Jeopardy...30, 40 years?

#4 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

Love the game Jeopardy... Can't stomach Trebek.

I saw the ticker line on MSN when I logged in the other day about his announcement.

I had no idea that he took up air time on the show to announce this illness, but it doesn't surprise me.

I'm sure mine is an unpopular view, but Trebek has always struck me as arrogant and he's treated some of the contestants on the show very badly with his pompous comments.

Having said that, my prayers go out to his family and I hope he can be comfortable in the time he has left.

#5 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:31 PM

My father in law died of cancer. It was tough to watch.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Trebek and his family.

#6 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 09 March 2019 - 10:22 PM, said:

Love the game Jeopardy... Can't stomach Trebek.

I saw the ticker line on MSN when I logged in the other day about his announcement.

I had no idea that he took up air time on the show to announce this illness, but it doesn't surprise me.

I'm sure mine is an unpopular view, but Trebek has always struck me as arrogant and he's treated some of the contestants on the show very badly with his pompous comments.

Having said that, my prayers go out to his family and I hope he can be comfortable in the time he has left.

My view was that he has always been neutral. However, I havenít watch the show in decades.

#7 User is offline   helton 

• Blueberries good, liberals bad!

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:44 PM

Alex is quite often condescending to the contestants as he makes flippant remarks about the correct question. Easy to do when you when the answer is in your hands. Right Alex?

Having said that, he has a difficult road ahead and I wish him all the best.

#8 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:29 AM

My mom and an aunt passed from pancreatic. Aggresdive, it was awful to witness. In both cars there was only 4 months from initial diagnosis to their deaths. <censored>ty way to go.

Smoking is the cause

#9 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:01 AM

He's always struck me as the opposite of arrogant or condescending. For just one example of why I say that, he refuses to be introduced at the beginning of the show as "The Star of Jeopardy, Alex Trebek", the way Pat & Vanna are introduced as "The Stars of Wheel of Fortune". He insists he merely be introduced as "The Host", because he considers the contestants to be the real stars.

I've seen several interviews with him. Even though he's a multi-millionaire, he refuses to "show off" with fancy clothes, expensive cars, yachts, etc. He drives a pickup truck, and does his own home repair projects and such. He also does lots of work with charities and donates millions of dollars to them.

:shrug:

#10 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

View Posterp, on 09 March 2019 - 10:31 PM, said:

My father in law died of cancer. It was tough to watch.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Trebek and his family.

View PostHowsithangin, on 10 March 2019 - 12:29 AM, said:

My mom and an aunt passed from pancreatic. Aggresdive, it was awful to witness. In both cars there was only 4 months from initial diagnosis to their deaths. <censored>ty way to go.

Smoking is the cause

An aunt died not of pancreatic but some sort of lymphoma. Took about the same amount of time. One day she noticed some odd bumps up and down her legs, went to the doctor, they diagnosed Lymphoma, started chemo, but 3 or 4 months later she was dead.

I don't think there was ever any real expectation that chemo would 'cure' it (this was back in the '80s). But it did buy her some time, maybe a few weeks at most, possibly enough time that she could wrap her head around the situation and come to terms with it. A very stark reminder of what every day is worth.

#11 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:24 AM

View Posthelton, on 09 March 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

Alex is quite often condescending to the contestants as he makes flippant remarks about the correct question. Easy to do when you when the answer is in your hands. Right Alex?

Having said that, he has a difficult road ahead and I wish him all the best.

:yeahthat:

#12 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

I can't help it--every time I think of Jeopardy I think of SCTV's "Half-wits."

Not good quality, but worth watching.

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 10 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

#13 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

My sister's best friend died of pancreatic cancer in 2000. She had always been a little overweight, not grossly, but a little chunky. Of course she lost weight fighting the cancer. One day my sister and her friend were out and about and another friend came up and said, "Gee you look good! What have you done to lose weight?" My sister's friend said "Got cancer". To this day, if my sister or I see a friend who has lost weight, we always say, "You have lost weight. Is everything okay?" If the answer is yes, then we tell them how great they look.The friend fought it for a whole school year. She found out the bad news at the beginning of her youngest's senior year and was determined to see him graduate. She did and died about two weeks later.

This post has been edited by USNRETWIFE: 10 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

#14 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

Iíve been watching Jeopardy since Art Fleming was the host and Iíve never missed a question...Prove me wrong

I even give the answer before the question is reveled

#15 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:02 PM

Sorry, Ticked. Alex Trebek wasn't condescending with the correct question. He was neutral and clear. I use the past tense because I haven't watched 'Jeapordy' regularly since the 1990s. I don't know his presentation now.

He did joke in his announcement that he will fight cancer because he has three more years on his contract. His delivery was dry and matter-of-fact. Which I think was very apropos and befitting of Alex Trebek as someone who seems to have a balance between public and private life.

#16 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

View Postfirecoco, on 10 March 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

Iíve been watching Jeopardy since Art Fleming was the host and Iíve never missed a question...Prove me wrong

I even give the answer before the question is reveled

My wife commented on how long I referred to Trebek as the "new" Jeopardy host! Don't watch much TV now but catch it once in a while.

#17 User is offline   ilja 

• Go ahead, read my mind!!!
  • View blog

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

I used to love Jeopardy & Alex Trebek. I'm sorry to hear about this. I haven't watched his show in quite a few years.

I took care of my mom for a year & a half as she died of cancer & it was horrific. She took chemo & was convinced God was going to heal her but He didn't, not on this side of Heaven, anyway. Daddy died of cancer after 6 months but did much better except for the end when you could tell that he gave up which was not like him & it was horrible to see him like that.

I would prefer to not take the chemo & have started to believe in the more natural forms of healing lately but my son is a firefighter & EMT who is just the opposite so I'm not sure what I would do because I do a lot of things just to appease him. But honestly, I would rather die sooner than live longer in pain since I don't fear death.

I look forward to being with my loved ones and especially being with God and Jesus. Then again, I don't want to leave my son and my grandkids any sooner than I have to.

#18 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 10 March 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

Sorry, Ticked. Alex Trebek wasn't condescending with the correct question. He was neutral and clear. I use the past tense because I haven't watched 'Jeapordy' regularly since the 1990s. I don't know his presentation now.

He did joke in his announcement that he will fight cancer because he has three more years on his contract. His delivery was dry and matter-of-fact. Which I think was very apropos and befitting of Alex Trebek as someone who seems to have a balance between public and private life.

To each his own.

#19 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

View Postilja, on 10 March 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

I used to love Jeopardy & Alex Trebek. I'm sorry to hear about this. I haven't watched his show in quite a few years.

I took care of my mom for a year & a half as she died of cancer & it was horrific. She took chemo & was convinced God was going to heal her but He didn't, not on this side of Heaven, anyway. Daddy died of cancer after 6 months but did much better except for the end when you could tell that he gave up which was not like him & it was horrible to see him like that.

I would prefer to not take the chemo & have started to believe in the more natural forms of healing lately but my son is a firefighter & EMT who is just the opposite so I'm not sure what I would do because I do a lot of things just to appease him. But honestly, I would rather die sooner than live longer in pain since I don't fear death.

I look forward to being with my loved ones and especially being with God and Jesus. Then again, I don't want to leave my son and my grandkids any sooner than I have to.

My sweet ilja! You really are the other half of my brain. I've been in stage four cancer since 2015. I'm not in a hurry to die, but I am at peace. For the past 4 months I have been eating a starch based diet. (I'm giving up meat, dairy, and anything processed.) I eat all the time, but I've lost 15 pounds. (If I would have known about this sooner, I would have eaten like this years ago.) And for the past 4 months my tumor marker numbers have remained steady. I'm not doing this instead of the treatment my doctor has prescribed for me, but in addition to it.
I have already informed my doctor I am not doing IV chemo ever again. Chemo just wants to kill something. It doesn't care whether it's you or your cancer. I know too many people who died from the chemo--not the cancer. Anyone can disagree with me. But everyone is entitled to combat their disease in whatever way they wish.

#20 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 11 March 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

My sweet ilja! You really are the other half of my brain. I've been in stage four cancer since 2015. I'm not in a hurry to die, but I am at peace. For the past 4 months I have been eating a starch based diet. (I'm giving up meat, dairy, and anything processed.) I eat all the time, but I've lost 15 pounds. (If I would have known about this sooner, I would have eaten like this years ago.) And for the past 4 months my tumor marker numbers have remained steady. I'm not doing this instead of the treatment my doctor has prescribed for me, but in addition to it.
I have already informed my doctor I am not doing IV chemo ever again. Chemo just wants to kill something. It doesn't care whether it's you or your cancer. I know too many people who died from the chemo--not the cancer. Anyone can disagree with me. But everyone is entitled to combat their disease in whatever way they wish.

Wag's, not much to add to this, just that you are in my prayers. God bless.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users