RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Conservatives' Takeover Of Supreme Court Stalled By - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conservatives' Takeover Of Supreme Court Stalled By John Roberts-Brett Kavanaugh Bromance Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

Conservatives' Takeover Of Supreme Court Stalled By John Roberts-Brett Kavanaugh Bromance

USA TODAY
Richard Wolf
Updated 10:51 a.m. ET April 7, 2019

<Excerpt>

WASHINGTON – The conservative takeover of the Supreme Court that was anticipated following President Donald Trump's two selections has been stalled by a budding bromance between the senior and junior justices.

Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's newest member, Brett Kavanaugh, have voted in tandem on nearly every case that's come before them since Kavanaugh joined the court in October. They've been more likely to side with the court's liberal justices than its other conservatives.

The two justices, both alumni of the same District of Columbia-based federal appeals court, have split publicly only once in 25 official decisions. Their partnership has extended, though less reliably, to orders the court has issued on abortion funding, immigration and the death penalty in the six months since Kavanaugh's bitter Senate confirmation battle ended in a 50-48 vote.

Roberts and Kavanaugh have obvious reasons for their reluctance to join the court's three other conservatives in ideological harmony. The chief justice has voiced concern about the court being viewed as just another political branch of government. Kavanaugh, a former top White House official under President George W. Bush who was accused of a 1980s sexual assault during his confirmation, may just be laying low.

"Justice Kavanaugh seems to share some of the chief justice’s institutional concerns, but I think he also cares about his own perception as an even-handed judge,” said Amir Ali, a civil rights lawyer who won a 6-3 decision in February when Roberts and Kavanaugh joined the four liberal justices to uphold a criminal defendant's appeal rights.

The chief's wingman

Similarities between the two men are striking, despite their decade apart in age. Roberts, 64, is earnest and soft-spoken, but pointed in his questions to both sides during oral arguments. Kavanaugh, 54, is more demonstrative, but he tempers that with an inquisitive, open-minded manner.

Whatever their reasons, the chief justice and the newest justice together have provided ballast for a court in transition. Following Kavanaugh's replacement of retired Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy, Roberts has become the court's swing vote, and Kavanaugh often appears to be his wingman.

<snip>

Full Story

This post has been edited by Liz: 07 April 2019 - 09:27 PM
Reason for edit: To provide article excerpt

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:34 PM

Can you post an excerpt? I can't access the site.

B)

#3 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 April 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

Can you post an excerpt? I can't access the site.

B)

It says that it's an AP article on USA Today.

I was going to do a copy and paste for you, but that's a huge no-no on this site.

#4 User is offline   usapatriot 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:01 PM

Here's what happened when Kavanaugh has his first sit down with Roberts. Roberts led off with a lot of BS about the SCOTUS needing to appear to be "nonpartisan" and the need to preserve the integrity of the institution, and so he begged Kavanaugh to lay low on siding with the conservatives at least until next year or even preferably after the 2020 election. Being the most junior justice and convinced of the "wisdom" of the "Chief Justice", he decided to do what he asked. What Roberts didn't say was that he is a liberal (or at least since his Odumbocare vote which he was very likely pressured to do so because the Swamp has some dirt on him) and he needs someone else on the court to provide some cover. I've said it here before, the Swamp has some dirt on Roberts and they will continue to ensure he votes they way they want him to on the most important rulings. Kavanaugh is doing Roberts an ENORMOUS favor by providing this cover for him. Is Kavanaugh naive to believe Roberts' BS and thus is laying low for now or is Kavanaugh really a liberal as well? I don't doubt for a minute anyone close to the Bush's is a POS and a RINO, but he did have a long history of voting as a constitutionalist, so it would be pretty unlikely it all could have been a set up to "qualify" him to get on the Supreme Court with a Republican president. The real test will come next year (during an election year) when the SCOTUS has to rule on Odumbocare again. Roberts stated in his "majority" opinion that the foundation of Odumbocare rests on the individual mandate (his words), which all four of the other liberal justices signed onto as well. Now that the individual manadate is gone, then all nine justices should declare Odumbocare unconstitutional. I don't have any delusions that the four liberal justices will find Odumbocare unconstitutional, but if Roberts votes to keep it constitutional, then it will be the most obvious example that Roberts is a liberal (and probably always has been) or the Swamp is still telling him they don't care how much he has to twist logic and look like a complete ignorant idiot, he's going to vote to keep it constitutional.

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostRock N, on 07 April 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

I was going to do a copy and paste for you, but that's a huge no-no on this site.

When did excerpting from the opening article become a "no-no"? People always include an excerpt in the opening post. As long as you don't post the whole article, and just post the section relevant to the point you're trying to make, it's perfectly allowable.

B)

#6 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

View PostRock N, on 07 April 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostMontyPython, on 07 April 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

When did excerpting from the opening article become a "no-no"? People always include an excerpt in the opening post. As long as you don't post the whole article, and just post the section relevant to the point you're trying to make, it's perfectly allowable.

B)

Just to clarify, there's a video from AP on the website but the article itself is from Richard Wolf of USA TODAY.

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Liz!

:2up:

#8 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 April 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

B)

Posting from USA Today is fine. Posting anything from the AP however is not.

#9 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:14 PM

View PostModerator T, on 07 April 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Posting from USA Today is fine. Posting anything from the AP however is not.

Yup, thanks for the reminder.

B)

#10 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

I like listening to Mark Levin and he has been saying since last fall that Kavanaugh is not the conservative people thought he is. Levin was right again.

#11 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 08 April 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

I like listening to Mark Levin and he has been saying since last fall that Kavanaugh is not the conservative people thought he is. Levin was right again.

After what was done to him, hard to believe. Their not his people in any shape.

#12 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Posttailgunner, on 08 April 2019 - 08:30 AM, said:

After what was done to him, hard to believe. Their not his people in any shape.

I do agree with you on that!

#13 User is offline   ilja 

• Go ahead, read my mind!!!
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

I never was sure about Kavanaugh because of who he clerked under. Sometimes they will never learn. Unless of course I'm wrong about Trump. I was wrong about all the others except Reagan.

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:05 PM

I will lay out home that there is some straterie here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users