RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Amazon Is On A Digital Book Burning Spree - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon Is On A Digital Book Burning Spree Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

Amazon Is On A Digital Book Burning Spree

Breitbart
By Alum Bokhari
8 Apr 2019

Excerpt:

Under pressure from left-wing journalists and activists, Amazon is purging right-wing authors from its store, including a book co-authored by English Islam critic and independent commentator Tommy Robinson.

The web retail giant has become the dominant market player in book sales, accounting for nearly 50 percent of physical and 83 percent of e-book sales in the U.S. As such, Amazon has the power to effectively cut an author off from the vast majority of the books market.

Amazon began its new round of purges by targeting the white nationalist fringe. In February, the tech giant banned a number of books from white identitarian Jared Taylor, and a book called The White Nationalist Manifesto by Greg Johnson.

This followed bans on Holocaust revisionist books in 2017, and a purge of all books by controversial pickup blogger and author Daryush “Roosh” Valizadeh in 2018.

As with financial blacklisting, a censorship spree that starts by targeting extreme ideas quickly moves towards the censorship of more mainstream ones. In early March, the online retailer banned Muhammed’s Koran: Why Muslims Kill for Islam, a Chronological Koran and critique of the Islamic religion co-authored by British populist Tommy Robinson.

The book is a chronological reordering of the Islamic Koran, followed by commentary by Robinson and his co-author, Peter McLoughlin. Amazon did not return Breitbart News’ request for an explanation of why the book was banned.

In 2010, Amazon rrefused to take down a book defending pedophilia on first amendment grounds. “Amazon believes it is censorship not sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable,” an Amazon representative told CNBC at the time.

“Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions.”

Public and media outcry was not enough to pressure Amazon into watering down its commitment to content-neutrality when it came to a pro-pedophile book. But it now takes only the slightest pressure for the tech giant to ban right-wing critiques of religion.
In 2010, Amazon refused to take down a book defending pedophilia on first amendment grounds. “Amazon believes it is censorship not sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable,” an Amazon representative told CNBC at the time.

“Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions.”

Public and media outcry was not enough to pressure Amazon into watering down its commitment to content-neutrality when it came to a pro-pedophile book. But it now takes only the slightest pressure for the tech giant to ban right-wing critiques of religion.

*snip*

Full Article

#2 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

They've got deep pockets.

Someone will sue them over this and rightfully so.

This censorship is outright discrimination and unconstitutional.

#3 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:59 PM

Amazon has abandoned its previous commitment to carry all books no matter how controversial, and it's unclear what consistent principle, if any, the company now follows.

I can see where anything goes is probably way too irresponsible but that where to establish limits is probably always going to be in flux.

But how Islam is so seemingly "protected" by the left-wing establishment media amazes me because I think Islam requires all the light which can be shed upon it, not protection.

#4 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

Amazon has published my digital fictional books. (One has many favorable comments about the Catholic church made by a main character who is Catholic. I wonder if that book is going to be erased?)

#5 User is offline   bearded old man 

• Another day...another dollar
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:42 PM

View PostRock N, on 08 April 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

I don't see where can be sued as it is a business and not the government and they can carry whatever products they like. I agree it is dangerous, is censorship, etc. but unconstitutional....I don't believe so. Hope I am wrong.

#6 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

View Postbearded old man, on 08 April 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

I don't see where can be sued as it is a business and not the government and they can carry whatever products they like. I agree it is dangerous, is censorship, etc. but unconstitutional....I don't believe so. Hope I am wrong.

It is one thing to censor one's own company/ product speech to their agenda, but they are doing it to other's free speech by refusing them equal service/access.
Hey, the left sues to get their propaganda out there and promoted and to get their people into every institution (to hijack and marginalize and force their agendas), so it should be the same rules for conservatives too.

I know that this is too much to expect (integrity) from the proggies?
I'm just sayin'.

They will have to be forced into doing the right thing because they've always had everything rigged in their favor.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 08 April 2019 - 07:58 PM

#7 User is offline   bearded old man 

• Another day...another dollar
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:11 AM

View PostRock N, on 08 April 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

It is one thing to censor one's own company/ product speech to their agenda, but they are doing it to other's free speech by refusing them equal service/access.
Hey, the left sues to get their propaganda out there and promoted and to get their people into every institution (to hijack and marginalize and force their agendas), so it should be the same rules for conservatives too.

I know that this is too much to expect (integrity) from the proggies?
I'm just sayin'.

They will have to be forced into doing the right thing because they've always had everything rigged in their favor.

I don't know...If I have newspaper/magazine stand and don't want to carry Sports Afield or the Sacramento Bee, it is definitely within my right...My punishment would only be losing the business of those wanting those publications. The government is prohibited from limiting free speech by the Constitution....I don't think a business or citizens are under that restriction.

#8 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

View PostRock N, on 08 April 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

:yes:

[leftist]But its not censorship when WE do it.[leftist]

#9 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

This problem showed up previously with the Kindle. They found out that they didn't have the rights to publish it as a Kindle E-Book in the US, and it magically disappeared from everyone's Kindle who had bought it, overnight. Bad thing was a lot of students were reading it for various classes and had annotated it in the Kindle using the notes feature for their class, all those notes and all that work disappeared, and wasn't saved, when Amazon deleted the book.

And the irony of it was, what book did Big Brother Amazon shove down the Memory Hole? George Orwell's "1984."

#10 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

I can think of some topics Amazon would probably have a problem with:

For example, has diversity ever really worked?

#11 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

View Postbearded old man, on 09 April 2019 - 06:11 AM, said:

I don't know...If I have newspaper/magazine stand and don't want to carry Sports Afield or the Sacramento Bee, it is definitely within my right...My punishment would only be losing the business of those wanting those publications. The government is prohibited from limiting free speech by the Constitution....I don't think a business or citizens are under that restriction.

If I have a bakery....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users