RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Buttigieg attracting praise from an unexpected audience — conservative - RightNation.US

Buttigieg attracting praise from an unexpected audience — conservative Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

Buttigieg attracting praise from an unexpected audience — conservatives

KATIE GALIOTO
Politico
4/10/19

EXCERPT:

He’s called the Green New Deal a “sound framework” for confronting climate change. He’s called for abolishing the Electoral College and has endorsed the idea of single-payer healthcare. And he’s openly gay.

But Pete Buttigieg is getting rare praise from some unlikely voices — conservatives.

Right-leaning pundits and politicians have taken notice of Buttigieg’s rising popularity, an ascent that began in early March after the South Bend mayor’s widely heralded CNN town hall performance, which garnered a sprinkling of compliments from Republicans. In the time since, a number of conservatives have shown a growing interest in Buttigieg and at times offered positive remarks about the Democratic candidate, a treatment quite the opposite of what most of the mayor’s primary challengers are receiving from the GOP.

Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro, for instance, called Buttigieg “nice and refreshing” for his willingness to engage with those on the other side of the aisle.

New York Times columnist David Brooks described Buttigieg as “smart, modest and self-effacing,” portraying the gay millennial veteran with degrees from Harvard and Oxford as a deft politician with a unique background who could surprise people.

Newt Gingrich, former GOP speaker of the House, said Republicans should start paying attention to the mayor, who “may be the unknown outsider who grows into authenticity.” A Commentary op-ed celebrated the so-called libertarian ideals Buttigieg brought to the race.

Even talk show host Rush Limbaugh, an avid Trump supporter, said after watching Buttigieg’s town hall that he saw “no radicalism” in the “personable” candidate, whom he said would “make mincemeat” out of his primary challengers in a debate.

The comments come despite severe policy disagreements. With grand plans that include a proposal to overhaul the Supreme Court and plans for automatic voter registration, Buttigieg is far from the most moderate Democratic contender.

That’s true, said Shapiro, who has stated he will almost certainly vote for Trump in 2020. Republicans aren’t swayed by Buttigieg’s policy. Some simply find him interesting or likable.

“There is a big sense that he, unlike a lot of the Democrats, is actually not ensconced in the belief system that says everyone who disagrees with him is a bad person,” Shapiro said in an interview with POLITICO, adding that he’s asked the mayor to appear on his radio show but hasn’t received a response yet.

(Full Story)

--

I know he's kinda popular at the DU and the liberal corners of the internet despite the fact that he's "only" a white male. That said if he gets traction I think he'd likely be able to give Trump a better run for his money than most of their slate.

#2 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

http://www.ibrc.indiana.edu/ibr/2013/outlook/images/fig2_southbend.gif

No thanks.

#3 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

This was a vomit inducing puff piece on a guy who doesn't have a chance but it is a PC sin not to kiss his ass because he's young and gay.

#4 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

It would be wise for anyone considering another Leftist in the White House to remember, It's not what they say that counts, it's what they do.

This post has been edited by NH Populist: 10 April 2019 - 11:10 AM

#5 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

New York Times columnist David Brooks described Buttigieg as “smart, modest and self-effacing,” portraying the gay millennial veteran with degrees from Harvard and Oxford as a deft politician with a unique background who could surprise people.

If only Buttigieg had a better crease in his pant leg. Brooks would have called him Presidential.

#6 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:37 PM

"Conservatives" eh...that translates into "Never Trumpers."

#7 User is offline   Mrdirt73 

• Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

Why is David Brooks listed as a conservative? Did I miss something?

#8 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostMrdirt73, on 10 April 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Why is David Brooks listed as a conservative? Did I miss something?

He plays one on the radio, as the token 'conservative' occasionally on NPR.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 10 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Poison will kill you just the same no matter how good, it looks, tastes or smells.
The only difference is it will at least be easier to take.

Oki

#10 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:18 AM

Yeah... not falling for it.

That Annoying Pete Buttigieg Guy Is Just Another Liberal Hack

Townhall.com
Kurt Schlichter
Apr 11, 2019 12:00 AM

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent the views of Townhall.com.

excerpt:

No, Democrat wonder candidate du jour Pete Buttigieg is not some bridge-building centrist who really gets the vibe of Normal Americans and promises to bring us all together in a festival of hugging and liking each other. That’s a con. He’s just another leftist who wants to do all the same miserable things to people like you and me that every other pinko trying to pick up the torch from Felonia Milhous von Pantsuit wants to do. Only to get past our defenses, to avoid tripping our alarms like Big Chief Liz and Willie Brown’s Ex do, he tries to be really low-key and boring about it.

And oh, is he ever boring. He looks like Sheldon on that Big Bang show, and when he talks you want to throw back your head and moan as the goo-goo clichés wash over you. He’s so boooooooring; he sounds like he’s always on the verge of chiding you to use your inside voice. Even Beto is more interesting, and Beto is not interesting.

Plus he’s gay, you know – another thing that’s boring about him, although the media makes like it’s some super-hip and exciting twist. Welcome back to the cutting edge of 1979 – he’s gay, and he’s definitely going to freak out the squares whether they like it or not! In that vein, he recently bravely took on the Veep’s non-comments about him and being gay and so forth. Here’s the most recent public comment by Mike Pence on Pete Buttigieg, uttered in 2015. Brace yourself for this fireball o’ hate!

“When WSBT 22 asked Pence what he thought of Buttigieg's announcement [of coming out as gay], he replied, "I hold Mayor Buttigieg in the highest personal regard. We have a great working relationship. I see him as a dedicated public servant, and a patriot.”

YOU MONSTER! Now Pete is bravely resisting this raw, four-year-old bigotry! “And that's the thing I wish the Mike Pence's of the world could understand, that if you have a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.” Take that, super-confused nice guy Mike Pence! Pete Buttigieg is not going to just stand there while you don’t talk about him and his gayness!

Gay liberation has truly become mainstream when all it provokes is a yawn among the Normals, and you have people like Pete having to pretend that he’s being oppressed. He’s like those kids in Footloose– they’re going to dance to their rock n’ roll music no matter what, and you Jesus-loving prudes can’t stop them!

Oh, Pete likes Jesus. We’re supposed to breath a sigh of relief that he allegedly doesn’t outright hate religious Americans like his coastal comrades do. Phew! Except he seems to have issues with “evangelicals,” which he apparently defines as “bad people who refuse to embrace my version of soft Protestant dogma.” He is really upset about “hypocritical” Christians who like Trump – you know, the guy who actually stood up against Christian persecution in American society – and he was happy to tell us how we don’t meet his exacting Jesus standards. Luckily for us, Protestantism is all about telling dorks like him to take his theological deep thotz and stuff them where the hymns don’t echo.

Buttigieg was in the Navy too. Again, this is another resume line item that is supposed to make us Normals overlook his deeply ingrained leftism. John Kerry was also in the Navy, and his gambit didn’t work out either. When are Dems going to figure out that doing a tour is cool, but it’s not a “Get Out of Liberalism Free” card?

Also, he was an intelligence officer. Two kinds of guys are intel officers. One is the really smart guy that nothing gets past. I liked those guys. The other is the guy the commander doesn’t want to trust with an important job, like passing out volleyballs. I don’t know which kind Buttigieg was; maybe he was squared away, maybe he was focused on coffee-making ops for the command group. Pete’s presumed to be smart because he went to Harvard. Of course, Harvard is the place that took in that gun-hating guy after my alma mater turned him down, and it’s also where the median grade is an “A-.” So, the university-based presumption of smartness is pretty presumptuous. Just saying.

We keep reading how Mayor Pete, of the thriving wasteland that is South Bend, is a super-moderate moderate of moderation. After all, he recently confessed that he is a “capitalist,” which in this Dem primary makes him practically Barry Goldwater. Oh, but he qualified that – it has to be “democratic capitalism.” You know, when strangers get to vote on what you can do with your own money, it’s not actually capitalism, is it?

<SNIP>

LINK

#11 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:36 AM

Pete Buttigieg Sounds Like The Church Lady

Townhall.com
Chris Stigall
Apr 11, 2019 12:01 AM

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent the views of Townhall.com.

excerpt:

Merriam-Webster defines the term “evangelical” this way: of or relating to a Christian sect or group that stresses the authority of the Bible, the importance of believing that Jesus Christ saved you personally from sin or hell, and the preaching of these beliefs to others.

By definition, that makes me an “evangelical.” I think it defines the overwhelming majority of Christians if you asked them what makes them “Christian.”

But it’s that word. “Evangelical.” Most Christians I know may agree with the proper definition of the word when it comes to their own faith, but they’d bristle if someone called them an evangelical.

Understandable, since it’s been hijacked, compromised, and besmirched as a political label through the years to mean rigid, intolerant, and even bigoted. To be called evangelical in mixed company today is to be considered outside the bounds of social politeness.

In the increasingly crowded Democrat field for the presidency, South Bend, Indiana mayor Pete Buttigieg is a proud and practicing Episcopalian who seems to want to start a holy war with the President and Vice President.

Buttigieg is openly gay and married to his husband Chasten. He’s had a well-documented professional and political friendship with Vice President Mike Pence while Pence was governor of the Hoosier State.

Now, the Mayor seems to have calculated an effective political strategy throwing down the communion cup and challenging Pence and President Trump’s Christianity.

On President Trump, Buttigieg told USA Today,“I'm reluctant to comment on another person's faith, but I would say it is hard to look at this president's actions and believe that they're the actions of somebody who believes in God."

He continued…reluctantly.

“I just don't understand how you can be as worshipful of your own self as he is and be prepared to humble yourself before God.I've never seen him humble himself before anyone.

Buttigieg continued to pound away on the President’s Christianity… reluctantly, of course.

“And the exaltation of yourself, especially a self that's about wealth and power, could not be more at odds with at least my understanding of the teachings of the Christian faith.”

As for the Vice President, Buttigieg – again, reluct…you know – has been more pointed. Regarding Pence’s support for Trump:

“The idea that God wants somebody like Mike Pence to be the cheerleader for a president largely known for his association with hush money to adult-film actresses seems to me to give God very little credit.”

Just last weekend, Buttigieg – all together now – “reluctantly” – said that if Pence and those who share his opposition to gay marriage have a problem with who he is, then they have a problem with God himself.

“And that’s the thing I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand: That if you have a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.”

By now I think you understand Mayor Buttigieg isn’t a reluctant Christian critic. He sounds more obnoxious than Dana Carvey’s Church Lady on SNL.

All ol’ Pete needs to do to complete the act is break into Carvey’s signature “superiority dance” at the end of each speech.

Come to think of it, Buttigieg sounds an awful lot like those evangelicals he and so many leftists and moderates despise.

He’s judgmental, he’s condescending, and perhaps most offensive is his presumptuous and arrogant notion he is the arbiter of what makes for or disqualifies one as a quality Christian.

Pete Buttigieg knows well his denomination suffered a painful split years ago over the issue of gay marriage. The Methodist Church just held a narrow and divisive vote over the same issue weeks ago.

The issue of Mayor Buttigieg’s sexuality and marriage as well as President Trump’s past behaviors is all subject to debate and division if you’re strictly discussing it through a spiritual lens. Good Christians can and do disagree.

But as a matter of governing the nation, none of it is particularly relevant when it comes to the metrics of policy decisions you believe best suit the direction of the country.

If it’s not in the Constitution, it’s for states and communities to sort out. It’s that simple. But for the left and people like Buttigieg, their version of morality MUST be foisted upon the rest of the country because they’re unwilling to make the case in their communities. They’d rather the Supreme Court do their bidding when the Constitution has nothing to say on their issue.

<SNIP>

Yes, the most judgmental and intolerant evangelical of the presidential campaign cycle happens to be an openly gay Democrat.

Isn’t that special?

LINK

"Buttigieg is openly gay and married to his husband Chasten."

This completely disqualifies him. I could never vote for anyone who consorts with someone named "Chasten". :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by grimreefer: 11 April 2019 - 02:38 AM

#12 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:32 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 11 April 2019 - 02:18 AM, said:

Yeah... not falling for it.

Its not us falling for it that's the issue. Its whether he can carry both the lunatic left and eat away at Trump's hold on the middle.

#13 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

Maybe he's just an opponent conservatives hope Trump gets to run against, rather than someone more mainstream and electable.

#14 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:04 AM

Butt-gag.

Or...Buttplug.

This post has been edited by RedSoloCup: 11 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

#15 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

*yawn*

I see it shaping up just like it did with Obama, except this time it's "gay" instead of "black".

I'm sure you all remember the routine: If you didn't vote for Obama, you were a racist. It didn't matter that Obama's policies and positions on important issues were disastrous for America. It didn't matter that he was going to destroy healthcare and healthcare insurance...It didn't matter that he was going to instigate and aggravate and approve of open racism...It didn't matter that he was going to cause horrific harm to the economy, unemployment...It didn't matter that his approach to the problems associated with terrorists, islam, the middle east, Iran specifically, were catastrophically ruinous, etc etc etc...Nope, none of that mattered. If you didn't vote for Obama you were a racist.

And so it's going to be with Buttigieg: If you don't vote for him, you're a homophobe. It doesn't matter that his policies will be disastrous for America. Everything from open borders to higher taxes to gun control to the green new deal and everything in between. Nope, if you don't support him, you're a homophobe.

*yawn*

:yawn:

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 11 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

#16 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 April 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

*yawn*

I see it shaping up just like it did with Obama, except this time it's "gay" instead of "black".

I'm sure you all remember the routine: If you didn't vote for Obama, you were a racist. It didn't matter that Obama's policies and positions on important issues were disastrous for America. It didn't matter that he was going to destroy healthcare and healthcare insurance...It didn't matter that he was going to instigate and aggravate and approve of open racism...It didn't matter that he was going to cause horrific harm to the economy, unemployment...It didn't matter that his approach to the problems associated with terrorists, islam, the middle east, Iran specifically, were catastrophically ruinous, etc etc etc...Nope, none of that mattered. If you didn't vote for Obama you were a racist.

And so it's going to be with Buttigieg: If you don't vote for him, you're a homophobe. It doesn't matter that his policies will be disastrous for America. Everything from open borders to higher taxes to gun control to the green new deal and everything in between. Nope, if you don't support him, you're a homophobe.

*yawn*

:yawn:

:yes:

#17 User is offline   AntonToo 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

This guy is super impressive and in many respects a polar opposite of Trump and yes in some ways reminiscent of Obama.

Intelectualy gifted and thoughtful
Mindful of other people's ideas and positions.
Very eloquent.
Solid record of public service.
Authentic and optimistic.

Easily my top pick.

This post has been edited by AntonToo: 11 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

#18 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:47 AM

View PostAntonToo, on 11 April 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Easily my top pick.

No surprise there.

:rolleyes:

#19 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 April 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

No surprise there.

:rolleyes:

Damnit, now that he's got King Shidas's endorsement, this Buttguy's chance for the nomination just went from slim to none! :doh:

#20 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 11 April 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

Damnit, now that he's got King Shidas's endorsement, this Buttguy's chance for the nomination just went from slim to none! :doh:

LOL No great loss. I'm still hoping Warren gets the nomination, even though she clearly has exactly zero chance too. Wouldn't that make for a hilarious campaign season? Hahahahahahahaha! She'd be shreds by the time Trump got finished with her. She'd be begging to smoke the peace pipe.

LOL

B)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users