RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Texas Research Scientist Says Brisket Might be Good for You - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Texas Research Scientist Says Brisket Might be Good for You Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

Texas Research Scientist Says Brisket Might be Good for You
By Spring Sault
March 6, 2019
TexasHillCountry.com

<Not Enough Tasty Information To Excerpt>

If it was perfected in Texas, you can bet someone from this state is proving it's good for you. Such is the case for brisket and ground beef! Researchers out of Texas A&M have found that not only does it make for some of the tastiest food you'll ever try, but (believe it or not) it comes with some health benefits too.

Their findings confirmed that high levels of oleic acid can be had in beef brisket. You want this because it lowers LDLs (the "bad" kind of cholesterol,) and produces high levels of HDLs (the good kind, which are said to promote better heart health). Dr. Stephen Smith, a research scientist from Texas A&M AgriLife Research, explained the findings. "Brisket has higher oleic acid than the flank or plate, which are the trims typically used to produce ground beef," he said. "The fat in brisket also has a low melting point, that's why the brisket is so juicy." Researchers in this study have also found that the same applies to ground beef, but to a lesser degree.

https://texashillcountry.com/wp-content/uploads/5802909889_6b9ccba2a7_b-1-680x390.jpg

America loves beef, and that love runs especially deep in the Lone Star State. Brisket is now one of the preferred trims in the production of ground beef. That's good news, considering Americans eat 50% of our beef in the form of ground beef, and it's featured in a huge number of recipes. In the production of ground beef, 25% of the carcass is used. This, Smith explained to AgriLife Today, "improves the sustainability of beef production." Smith also noted, "Our studies have shown that fat is a very important component of beef." The details of the study show that the good cholesterol (or HDL) increased in those who ate beef that was high in oleic acid. It's something to celebrate as you prepare for the best season of the year… barbecue season.

<Not Enough Tasty Information To Excerpt>

#2 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

Like I need another reason to make and enjoy smoked brisket?

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 11 April 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

Exactly.

Sure, it's good to hear (read?) that stuff I already love and eat is allegedly good for me. Woohoo! But it doesn't matter, because I'd continue eating it anyway, even if they told me the opposite.

:yes:

#4 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

Alternate title: Food found to be good for the average human. Details at 11...

#5 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

God knew there would be Texans, he put brisket on beeves.

#6 User is offline   MikeTexas 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

Hell could have told you that without a fancy dancy study, any Texan knows that.

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

View PostMikeTexas, on 11 April 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

Hell could have told you that without a fancy dancy study, any Texan knows that.

Hell, plenty of us non-Texans know it too!

#8 User is offline   ScottZ 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

Gig'em!

#9 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

#10 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:38 PM

The only reason cows exist is for milk and beef.

#11 User is offline   MikeTexas 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:21 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 April 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

Hell, plenty of us non-Texans know it too!

Salute

#12 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

Sorry but I can't read the article right now. I have a sudden urge to compile a shopping list.

#13 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:25 PM

I'm just starting to get into "sous vide" cooking that I first heard about from "Mr. Naron" on this site several years back but am just now getting around to.

London Broil to die for: Take about a 1-1/2" thick piece of tough Top Round. Marinate it overnight: 1 part soy sauce, 1 part Dijon mustard, fresh ground pepper, double-sealed in (two) freezer bags with as much air removed as possible (Or use a vacuum sealer. The (2) freezer bags is just in case one leaks). Next day, sous-vide it, bags and all, 1n a 140 degree (F) bath for an hour and a half, then finish it on a hot grill for 1 minute a side. Slice thinly against the grain just before serving. I'd have never dreamed it could be THAT good done THAT way.

I gotta try the same with Brisket. I'll bet it comes out well.

And, no need for a fancy sous-vide machine. Yeah, like I need another single-purpose kitchen appliance (Yeah, if I had a nickel for every time I bought a 'special' appliance, used it once or twice, then gave it to the goodwill next time moved...) I fudged it with a Oster electric skillet. It took some experimenting to find 140 F (On mine it's right between the two 'm's in 'Simmer', before the numbers start. YMMV.) Then I marked the dial with a sharpie. It'll hold 140 F +/- 2 degrees for hours. I double checked with both a meat thermometer and an industrial Fluke 51 digital thermometer.

#14 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:33 PM

Exactly.

It's meat candy as is!

#15 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:46 PM

I like to cook mine on my gas grill with the hickory smoker attachment for several hours on really low heat.

It's never turned out dry at all (I do not foil wrap it, just re-baste it as it cooks with my own home made vinegar and mustard based bar-b-que sauce) and the hickory smoke makes it awesome.

#16 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

I've been using a sous vide for a couple of years now, for chops, steaks, brisket, and even duck breasts, nothing can beat it. Lately the butcher here has been having prime NY strips, oh my, what a treat. To sear I get a cast iron skillet up to about 500 deg, that'll give you a quick sear.

I also use my Instant Pot a lot. I've found for making a pot roast or pulled pork it does very well. It will make the most tender meat, I put a pork roast in it, with water, soy sauce, molasses, and a bit of liquid smoke, and pull the pork when it's done. Not as good as my BIL's smoker, but it takes about an hour and a bit instead of 12 plus hours.

#17 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:01 AM

View PostSeverian, on 12 April 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

I put a pork roast in it, with water, soy sauce, molasses, and a bit of liquid smoke...

Heathen.

#18 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

We have a regional supermarket chain called Wegmans here. This is the only place I’ve seen ‘Flat Ribs’ sold. Flat ribs are not regular beef ribs or the very expensive ‘short ribs’. They are what is left after the butcher de-bones rib steaks to sell boneless. They are tender as butter and take less time to BBQ, bake, or make in the instant pot than short or regular beef ribs.

I marinate them in a little red wine vinegar for an hour and then cook with lots of spicy stuff. I don’t mind BBQ sauce but only in very small quantities. Smothering meat in sauce ruins it for me.

#19 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

View PostLadybird, on 12 April 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

We have a regional supermarket chain called Wegmans here. This is the only place I’ve seen ‘Flat Ribs’ sold. Flat ribs are not regular beef ribs or the very expensive ‘short ribs’. They are what is left after the butcher de-bones rib steaks to sell boneless. They are tender as butter and take less time to BBQ, bake, or make in the instant pot than short or regular beef ribs.

I marinate them in a little red wine vinegar for an hour and then cook with lots of spicy stuff. I don’t mind BBQ sauce but only in very small quantities. Smothering meat in sauce ruins it for me.

Yeah, me too. Sauce should be a condiment, you shouldn't make sauce soup.

I also, with the Instant Pot, make a mean Chinese char siu. Marinate in char siu sauce, I just use the Lee Kum Kee sauce in a jar, put the drained marinade and water in the pot bottom, cook it in the IP, then baste it with more sauce and broil it in the oven until the outside has some burned bits on it. Char siu is one of my all time favorite Chinese foods. Serve sliced with a bit of hot sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee Chiu Chow Chili Oil) and OMG, just wonderful.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users