RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Meet ‘Surveillance Capitalism,’ Our Terrifying New Economic Order - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Meet ‘Surveillance Capitalism,’ Our Terrifying New Economic Order Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

Meet ‘Surveillance Capitalism,’ Our Terrifying New Economic Order

Paul Rowan Brian
The Federalist
4/12/19

EXCERPT:

Advanced technology isn’t just getting out of control, it’s being used as a means of control—big time. That’s the key message of Shoshana Zuboff’s new book The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight For A Human Future at the New Frontier of Power, where the Harvard professor emerita and business analyst argues that Big Tech is determined to fully commodify, control, and co-opt human experiences to provide raw behavioral data that sustains its massive profits and power.

Put simply, Zuboff contends that surveillance capitalism is the constant tracking, analysis, and attempted modification of human behavior for the profit of tech giants who trade in what she terms “behavioral futures markets,” places where knowing what people are very likely to do tomorrow or next year is of enormous value to those trying to sell a product or service.

Surveillance capitalism renders human behavior by tracking, measuring, and analyzing from your smartphone to your smart home—from browsing the internet to private messages or emails with a colleague. This relatively new, dominant force intrudes through cookies and privacy permissions that in most cases must be accepted for a service to work properly or at all, including, for example, many smart home security systems.

Zuboff distinguishes surveillance capitalism at the outset from information capitalism. Whereas information capitalism makes money from information you provide, surveillance capitalism disguises itself in intimidating terms of service agreements and actually nudges your behavior so that you do what it wants in various ways, perpetuating a feedback loop of predatory control and emotional espionage enabled through advanced machine learning and algorithmic programming.

“Global revenue for AI products and services is expected to increase 56- fold, from $644 million in 2016 to $36 billion in 2025,”she notes, so we should probably be talking about this quite a lot as a society.

A New Economic Order
According to Zuboff, surveillance capitalism is “a new economic order that claims human experience as free raw material” and “a parasitic economic logic in which the production of goods and services is subordinated to a new global architecture of behavioral modification.”

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1554179283/gallery_6133_220_41768.jpg

NIMH

#3 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

dont knock alexa I just learned it does not have voice recognition. so at a friends house if they have one you can just maybe say alex order 500 pounds of marshmellows when they arent around. or what ever else you want sent to thier house. ok I havent done that but I saw it in a meme and I'm tempted.

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

View Postgrimreefer, on 14 April 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

NIMH

Nice Dalek stuffed toy!

View PostSquirrel, on 14 April 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

dont knock alexa I just learned it does not have voice recognition. so at a friends house if they have one you can just maybe say alex order 500 pounds of marshmellows when they arent around. or what ever else you want sent to thier house. ok I havent done that but I saw it in a meme and I'm tempted.

I've read about parrots ordering stuff, as well as small kids.

#5 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

Several people at my workplace have Alexa. They like it, like asking it stupid questions, for jokes, etc as well as their ordering from Amazon.

I had warned them about it's alleged ability to spy on them and they all had just laughed it off.

Well they did, for awhile.

More than half of them have heard faint voices coming from it laughing at them over what was said in their conversations in the room and also over other "sounds" that they were making (while in their bedrooms).

Then they had noticed that they suddenly began receiving tons of email ads for certain items that they were talking about in their homes.

Most of them now unplug their Alexa until they actually need it. They were creeped out and realized that it can and does listen to what they say.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 14 April 2019 - 11:27 PM

#6 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:23 PM

View Postgrimreefer, on 14 April 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

NIMH

:exactly:

Many of my co-workers say "Well, I don't have anything to hide. They'd just be bored spying on me and my family anyhow."

No, I am not kidding or exaggerating.

They are completely apathetic and oblivious to the importance of their rights to privacy and them being routinely violated. It isn't any big deal to them at all.

Our forefathers are spinning in their graves.

#7 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

Don't have anything like these in the house, don't want it. The closest is my TV which I never use as a means of voice control, however all new modern TV's have this capability, you can't turn it off. But other than that toy which we don't talk in front of, we won't have these permanent spies in the house.

If you watched Brave New World, they predicted this crap back in those days.

Never saw this before but this is awesome!

This post has been edited by Taggart Transcontinental: 15 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

#8 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:53 AM

Saw a similar meme: "Hey Alexsa, set 3 am alarm using horror movie sounds"

#9 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostTikk, on 15 April 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

Saw a similar meme: "Hey Alexsa, set 3 am alarm using horror movie sounds"

"Alexa - Make it look like an accident."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic