RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Tragedy Tomorrow, Comedy Tonight - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tragedy Tomorrow, Comedy Tonight Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   pepperonikkid 

• Trucker
  • Group: Silver

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

Tragedy Tomorrow, Comedy Tonight

https://www.americanthinker.com
By Clarice Feldman
May 5, 2019

Article:

That's the title of a great song in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and that, it occurs to me, is an appropriate song for the media and the Democrats. For two years they vigorously promoted -- for their amusement and political benefit -- a fake Russian collusion story and now must watch it unravel and boomerang on them, their allies and the miscreants who created it. They had their fun, and the denouement has begun.

This Week's Hearings

There were two hearings on the Mueller report this week, one before the Senate Judiciary Committee and another before the House Judiciary Committee. The Senate hearings were marked by such silly questions and vituperative charges, often by senators who are seeking the party's nomination and want publicity, that I was tempted to simply repeat some of them for laughs. Other developments, which I will explain, preempted that plan, but I cannot resist this exchange between the fabulist Senator Richard Blumenthal, who faked his war record, and the attorney general:

"Did you or anyone, either you, or anyone on your staff memorialize your conversation with Robert Mueller?" Blumenthal asked Barr.

Yes," replied Barr."There were notes taken of the call," Barr said in response to Blumenthal asking who took the memos.

"May we have those notes?" Blumenthal asked.

"No," Barr promptly replied.

"Why not?" Blumenthal shot back.

"Why should you have them?" Barr replied

Not since Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld have I seen such terse, justifiable dismissal of blather and not since Edwin Meese have a seen a Republican attorney general who wasn't a timid wretch.

As for the House hearing, the chairman set so many conditions for his appearance that Barr refused to attend and the takeaway of the hearing was Democratic Congressman Steve Cohen munching on fried chicken.

Factual Errors in the Mueller Report

I think there are a number of factual errors in the Mueller report which, if he ever testifies, might be more edifying than watching Cohen eat chicken. Here are just two. I still cannot understand how, when no government agency examined the DNC servers, he could possibly conclude the leaks from it were the result of Russian hacking as opposed to a download by someone with internal access to it.

More significant is the very basis for the investigation itself. Purportedly the investigation was triggered by George Papadopoulos' conversations, not just the now thoroughly discredited Steele Dossier. At the Senate hearing the attorney general disclosed that Alexander Downer, a former Australian diplomat, was the source of the information, which, we are told, was the trigger for the investigation. While this had been reported earlier, this is the first time the government has publicly acknowledged Downer's role. As for the information from Downer, it seems to me the conversation was thrown in to buttress the predicate for the entire witch-hunt, the Dossier clearly being an inadequate basis. Barr seems to agree:

Barr suggested in his testimony that he has concerns with the FBI's rationale for opening the investigation based on the Aussie tip.

"I would have to see exactly what the report was from Downer, the Australian Downer, and exactly what he quoted Papadopoulos as saying," Barr told Durbin.

"But from what you just read, I'm not sure what the correlation was between the Russians having dirt and jumping to the conclusion that that suggested foreknowledge of the hacking."

Legal Poppycock in Part 2 of the Mueller Report

Not only do the factual recitations in the Mueller report appear sloppy and unable to pass scrutiny, the legal arguments in the Second Section, presumably the reason why the investigation continued long past the point where the collusion contentions were proven unsustainable, are thin gruel as well. We now know that Barr himself brought this to the attention of Rod Rosenstein before he was named attorney general. It's a certainty to me that Barr's thorough legal argument and then his assumption of office led to the conclusion of the Mueller probe six weeks after he assumed office.

There's a really fine analysis by Will Chamberlin of the "legal chess match" which Barr won. It involves the reading of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1512 ©(2), a section of the statute which Mueller's team was exploiting to keep their game alive and the President hamstrung. As Chamberlin says, "Mueller adopted an expansive, acontextual, and constitutionally questionable interpretation [of the section] and used it to justify an extensive investigation into potential obstruction of justice by President Trump."

It was clear from the direction of the Special Counsel's investigation that this was the game. Barr went over Mueller's head on June 8 of last year with a detailed 19-page memorandum to Rod Rosenstein in which he noted the President lacked the requisite intent of that provision but has also made clear that he disagreed with Mueller's legal theories.

(The goofy theory concerning obstruction reminds me of the goofy theory the prosecutors used to destroy the fine accounting firm Arthur Andersen in a case which the Supreme Court unanimously overruled. It's no coincidence that the prosecutor in that case was on the Mueller team and certainly the architect of the notion that prosecutors ought to determine if perfectly legitimate conduct can be made the basis of a criminal proceeding if the prosecutor thinks the conduct somehow impedes his ability to convict on an actual crime.)

Full Story

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:55 AM

"Did you or anyone, either you, or anyone on your staff memorialize your conversation with Robert Mueller?" Blumenthal asked Barr.

Yes," replied Barr."There were notes taken of the call," Barr said in response to Blumenthal asking who took the memos.

"May we have those notes?" Blumenthal asked.

"No," Barr promptly replied.

"Why not?" Blumenthal shot back.

"Why should you have them?" Barr replied

Not since Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld have I seen such terse, justifiable dismissal of blather and not since Edwin Meese have a seen a Republican attorney general who wasn't a timid wretch.

Yup! I remember that exchange, and even mentioned it somewhere in another thread. We FINALLY have an AG with a functioning brain AND a full-sized set of testicles.

:2up:

#3 User is offline   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

My answer would have been "May we see the notes?" "No, because you're stupid and you dress funny"

Mark

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Barr was AG from the start instead of that worthless do nothing Sessions.

#5 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

View PostSeverian, on 05 May 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Barr was AG from the start instead of that worthless do nothing Sessions.

For one thing we wouldn't have wasted $30M on a worthless investigation. This nonsense would have ended long ago. It may be better that it did go on. With the dims wasting time on this, it distracted them from working on destroying the United States-their usual occupation.

#6 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 05 May 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

For one thing we wouldn't have wasted $30M on a worthless investigation. This nonsense would have ended long ago. It may be better that it did go on. With the dims wasting time on this, it distracted them from working on destroying the United States-their usual occupation.

Having been exposed for setting up the Russian fairy tale through actual conspiracy, the Democrats are now trying to block an investigation into the origins of the fraud. Which is... wait for it... obstruction of justice.

#7 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 05 May 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Having been exposed for setting up the Russian fairy tale through actual conspiracy, the Democrats are now trying to block an investigation into the origins of the fraud. Which is... wait for it... obstruction of justice.

:clap:

And democrats will say.... itís not obstruction of justice.... because theyíl claim they didnít do nothing so how can you obstruct something you didnít do... just wait...

#8 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 05 May 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Then you add destroying the hildebeast's documents, equipment, and emails-material under subpoena and you can double your fun.

#9 User is offline   GRB1959 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:11 AM

View PostBookdoc, on 05 May 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

Perhaps one of President Trump's worst moves as POTUS was to appoint then Alabama Republican Senator Jeff Sessions to be the AG of the USA. Sessions quickly proved that he wasn't up to the job when he almost immediately recused himself from overseeing the Russia collusion delusion probe.

Another piece of collateral damage from the appointment of Sessions to AG is that it cost the Republicans a Senate seat in deep RED Alabama when the Democrats sent their smear machine after Judge Roy Moore who then subsequently lost the Senate race to the DEM candidate Doug Jones. This is a seat that the Republicans should be able to re-capture in the 2020 elections, however this seat would never have been up for a special election if President Trump had not appointed Sessions as AG.

This post has been edited by GRB1959: 06 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users