RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Alexandria-Ocasio-Cortex received a BA at Boston Univ, Ponder That - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Alexandria-Ocasio-Cortex received a BA at Boston Univ, Ponder That Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Howsithangin 

  • The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,714
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

AOC graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.

Stop and ponder that for a moment

What does that say about the state of "Higher Education"? :scratch:

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 11 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

0

#2 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

  • Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,690
  • Joined: 02-April 03

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

Isn't David Hogg now attending Harvard, even though it sounded like his grades weren't up to snuff? Says a lot about Harvard, doesn't it?
0

#3 User is offline   Natural Selection 

  • Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 18,660
  • Joined: 31-December 03

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:59 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 May 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

What does that say about the state of "Higher Education"? :scratch:


http://i.postimg.cc/xTBt3Gj6/higher-education.jpg
0

#4 User is offline   Martin 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,026
  • Joined: 02-July 03

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

If Congressman Occasional-Cortex's economic policies are so absurd, how did she primary a ten-term incumbent? His policies were clearly left-wing, though not as radical as hers. I suspect he lost because of identity politics and a general anti-incumbent mood in the electorate. The pop-eyed young woman with the Hispanic last name appealed better than the bald old Irish American even though his policies were popular.
0

#5 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 27,944
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

View PostMartin, on 11 May 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

If Congressman Occasional-Cortex's economic policies are so absurd, how did she primary a ten-term incumbent? His policies were clearly left-wing, though not as radical as hers. I suspect he lost because of identity politics and a general anti-incumbent mood in the electorate. The pop-eyed young woman with the Hispanic last name appealed better than the bald old Irish American even though his policies were popular.


He lost because he didn't take her seriously, he didn't campaign against her, and well her and her voters are retarded. On top of that only 16% of the electorate showed up for the election.

https://www.nytimes....rimary-election
Same reason Republican's were routed in the last election. No one showed up and those that did were retarded. That's how Alabama now has Doug Jones as our Senator, he's a moron, but we are stuck with the fool until 2020. Thank God. I hope the Alabama RNC puts someone up that isn't a religious zealot. We don't need that we need someone that believes in the Constitution as a means to rule this land. You can keep your own religious preferences where they should be in your home.

0

#6 User is offline   Liz 

  • ***-----------***
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 51,798
  • Joined: 28-February 03

  Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER ANOTHER MEMBER'S QUOTE. WHILE IT MAY SEEM HARMLESS, IT OFTEN CAUSES CONFUSION WHICH IS WHY IT'S AGAINST THE RULES. THE POST IN QUESTION HAS BEEN REMOVED.
0

#7 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,840
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 May 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

AOC graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.

Stop and ponder that for a moment

What does that say about the state of "Higher Education"? :scratch:


Makes sense.

Depending on school, you can get either a BA or BS in economics. The BA programs are the generally the 'lite' versions, for those who can't do enough math correctly to get a BS, and lean towards indoctrination rather than hard work. Sort of like how some colleges tailor programs for athletes so they can keep a passing grade i.e., Geology 101 or "Rocks for Jocks".

AOC obviously views economics as an "Art" rather than a "Science", with "Art" being all about how a particular work makes you feel rather than objective rigorous analysis.
0

#8 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,840
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 11 May 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

He lost because he didn't take her seriously, he didn't campaign against her, and well her and her voters are retarded. On top of that only 16% of the electorate showed up for the election.

https://www.nytimes....rimary-election
Same reason Republican's were routed in the last election. No one showed up and those that did were retarded. That's how Alabama now has Doug Jones as our Senator, he's a moron, but we are stuck with the fool until 2020. Thank God. I hope the Alabama RNC puts someone up that isn't a religious zealot. We don't need that we need someone that believes in the Constitution as a means to rule this land. You can keep your own religious preferences where they should be in your home.


I actually don't blame the incumbent Joe Crowley for not taking here seriously. I wouldn't have either; some opponents just don't rise to the level of EVEN being worth debating.

I place the blame entirely on the 56% of the 16% of the voters in NY-14 who DID take her seriously.

There are apparently 15,896 mentally defective people in NY-14 which covers parts of the Bronx and Queens. I'll wager that this matches up nicely with welfare figures.
0

#9 User is offline   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 29,288
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 May 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

I actually don't blame the incumbent Joe Crowley for not taking here seriously. I wouldn't have either; some opponents just don't rise to the level of EVEN being worth debating.

I place the blame entirely on the 56% of the 16% of the voters in NY-14 who DID take her seriously.

There are apparently 15,896 mentally defective people in NY-14 which covers parts of the Bronx and Queens. I'll wager that this matches up nicely with welfare figures.

Only that many? If that were the case....
0

#10 User is offline   JerryL 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 12,867
  • Joined: 06-October 03

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 May 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

AOC graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.

Stop and ponder that for a moment

What does that say about the state of "Higher Education"? :scratch:

Exactly what I have been saying since she came on the scene. A "cum laude" grad of BU and she can't find a job above bartender? She has proven time and time again what a dolt she is. She has also shown how worthless big money East coast "educations" are as well.
0

#11 User is offline   nickel 

  • Just say No to fluorescent lights!
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 1,555
  • Joined: 09-November 03

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

"Harvard" means nothing to me anymore. My cousin's kid tried to get in. He was an all-A student, went out for every sport and was captain of several teams, plus brainiac stuff like the debating club, chess club, etc., you'd think every school he applied to would grab him, with scholarships, but no. His friend, a black kid with a B average and nothing impressive in the extracurriculars was accepted. Because they needed minority students.

And the professors are forced to give the minority students good grades, so that not only can Harvard boast that they have lots of minority students, but they're also doing really well. 'I mean, look at these awesome grades we gave them!'

Harvard? Used to be a great school.
0

#12 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 6,670
  • Joined: 05-June 15

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:27 AM

View PostLiz, on 11 May 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER ANOTHER MEMBER'S QUOTE. WHILE IT MAY SEEM HARMLESS, IT OFTEN CAUSES CONFUSION WHICH IS WHY IT'S AGAINST THE RULES. THE POST IN QUESTION HAS BEEN REMOVED.


What did I miss?
0

#13 User is offline   Italian Biker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,211
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 May 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

AOC graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.

Stop and ponder that for a moment

What does that say about the state of "Higher Education"? :scratch:

Some people have great retention, and can spout off what ever they read and hear, and that would explain how she actually graduated. But things like common sense, practicality and thinking logically can escape them. One of her biggest gaffes was how the electoral college "was a shadow of slavery's power". Now, basically she's just outright lying about this. I think she knows it has absolutely nothing to do with slavery. She is just trying to feed the narrative of racism in the creation of the electoral college to gain support to try to abolish it. What's funny is that she also once said something about it's ok to be factually wrong if you're morally right, but no one asked her if lying is morally right. But yes, she's said some stupid things, like "take back the three chambers of government, house, senate and presidency. Learning the difference is something I learned in third grade and retained since than. It's three branches of government, two chambers of Congress.
0

#14 User is online   Howsithangin 

  • The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,714
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

View Postnickel, on 13 May 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

"Harvard" means nothing to me anymore. My cousin's kid tried to get in. He was an all-A student, went out for every sport and was captain of several teams, plus brainiac stuff like the debating club, chess club, etc., you'd think every school he applied to would grab him, with scholarships, but no. His friend, a black kid with a B average and nothing impressive in the extracurriculars was accepted. Because they needed minority students.

And the professors are forced to give the minority students good grades, so that not only can Harvard boast that they have lots of minority students, but they're also doing really well. 'I mean, look at these awesome grades we gave them!'

Harvard? Used to be a great school.


re: the experience with your cousin's kid is not surprised in the least. Your observation about grades is spot on. I know that for a fact, as a few friends are college profs (very close to retirement---oh the stories they tell....).

That's why I don't hop on the celebratory band wagon when some inner city kid gets 14 scholarships to all of the Ivy League Schools. When race is atop the enrollment requirements and said students are given 250 SAT points off the bat (to even things out), there is high suspicion that the interest in them by the Ivy League schools is not based upon merit.

As things are, colleges and the like actively discriminate based on race, and both whites and asians are supposed to take it up the tailpipe and be silent about it, lest they be called racist. Anymore, when approached to opine on the subject, I recommend to any white or asian male to go into the trades instead, but if college is a must, stick to STEM only.

I'm glad I went to college before all this <censored>.
0

#15 User is online   Howsithangin 

  • The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,714
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

View PostItalian Biker, on 13 May 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Some people have great retention, and can spout off what ever they read and hear, and that would explain how she actually graduated. B


True. Colleges have followed high school in the rush to "teach for the test:
0

#16 User is offline   CoatedAmbassador 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported
  • Posts: 76
  • Joined: 03-November 04

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 May 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:


Depending on school, you can get either a BA or BS in economics. The BA programs are the generally the 'lite' versions, for those who can't do enough math correctly to get a BS, and lean towards indoctrination rather than hard work.




Long time lurker here - but need to respond (as this hits straight at me)

BA in Economics and Math from Claremont McKenna. So is it a 'lite' degree?

No offense taken, just wondering. ;)
0

#17 User is offline   Mrdirt73 

  • Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 4,852
  • Joined: 19-August 03

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostCoatedAmbassador, on 13 May 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Long time lurker here - but need to respond (as this hits straight at me)

BA in Economics and Math from Claremont McKenna. So is it a 'lite' degree?

No offense taken, just wondering. ;)

Well, I for one would disagree with Adam's definition. Maybe it's different for econ than for math, but for me the difference in a BA vs. a BS had nothing do with the amount of math taken, but rather what minor if any you took. Science related minor = BS, non science, or no minor = BA.
0

#18 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,840
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostCoatedAmbassador, on 13 May 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Long time lurker here - but need to respond (as this hits straight at me)

BA in Economics and Math from Claremont McKenna. So is it a 'lite' degree?

No offense taken, just wondering. ;)


I submit AOC as 'exhibit A on this topic.


Syracuse University explains it this way in their course catalog:

Economics, BS

The department offers both the B.A. degree in economics as well as a B.S. degree in economics. The B.A. has a liberal arts focus and emphasizes the applied and policy aspects of economics. The B.S. is attractive to the more mathematically oriented student.

The B.S. degree has an orientation toward the statistical and mathematical skills necessary to work as a professional economist or pursue graduate work in economics, public policy, or business. Students who want these career tracks or who want to acquire more analytical skills that can be used in a variety of careers should pursue the B.S. degree.

0

#19 User is offline   CoatedAmbassador 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported
  • Posts: 76
  • Joined: 03-November 04

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 May 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

I submit AOC as 'exhibit A on this topic.


Syracuse University explains it this way in their course catalog:

Economics, BS

The department offers both the B.A. degree in economics as well as a B.S. degree in economics. The B.A. has a liberal arts focus and emphasizes the applied and policy aspects of economics. The B.S. is attractive to the more mathematically oriented student.

The B.S. degree has an orientation toward the statistical and mathematical skills necessary to work as a professional economist or pursue graduate work in economics, public policy, or business. Students who want these career tracks or who want to acquire more analytical skills that can be used in a variety of careers should pursue the B.S. degree.



But you didn't answer my question.
If a BA in Econ is considered 'lite' and for those 'who can't do enough math correctly,' does my concurrent math degree make it less 'lite?
Or do you view it as two disconnected degrees?
(CMC didn't offer a BS)

That the Orangemen offer two flavors indicates that there is a distinction at that institution.

Additional disclosure: I am indeed a professional economist.

Again, just wondering. (and pulling your chain just a little)
0

#20 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,840
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

View PostCoatedAmbassador, on 13 May 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

But you didn't answer my question.
If a BA in Econ is considered 'lite' and for those 'who can't do enough math correctly,' does my concurrent math degree make it less 'lite?
Or do you view it as two disconnected degrees?
(CMC didn't offer a BS)

That the Orangemen offer two flavors indicates that there is a distinction at that institution.

Additional disclosure: I am indeed a professional economist.

Again, just wondering. (and pulling your chain just a little)


Math and Econ is different. Best I can tell BA Math and BS Math are the same. But, best I can tell, and I can cite MORE than just Syracuse, BS Econ seems to be more "rigorous" than BA Econ.

And OF COURSE I have a dog in the fight. BS Industrial Engineering, MS Applied Physics. YES, of course, I have a perspective. Take it for what it's worth.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users