RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Tim Conway, star of the 'Carol Burnett Show,' dies at 85 - RightNation.US

Tim Conway, star of the 'Carol Burnett Show,' dies at 85 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:56 PM

Tim Conway, star of the 'Carol Burnett Show,' dies at 85

Chloe Melas
CNN
5/14/19

EXCERPT:

Actor and comedian Tim Conway, best known for his work on "The Carol Burnett Show," died on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, according to his publicist.

Conway was 85

He had been battling a longtime illness prior to his death, Howard Bragman, Conway's representative, told CNN. He was not suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's disease, Bragman said.

Conway won three Emmys for co-starring in "The Carol Burnett Show," which ran from 1967 to 1978, and a fourth as a member of its writing team. He also briefly headlined his own variety series and co-starred in several Disney live-action comedies during the '70s, such as "The Apple Dumpling Gang" and "The Shaggy D.A."
Before then, he starred as bumbling Ensign Charles Parker in the comedy "McHale's Navy," from 1962 to 1966.

In his later years, Conway did numerous guest appearances -- winning additional Emmys for roles in the sitcoms "Coach" and "30 Rock" -- and voiceover work in animation, including "SpongeBob Squarepants."

Conway's improvisational antics frequently cracked up his co-stars, foremost among them Harvey Korman.

(Full Story)

--
One of the funniest people of all time.

#2 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

• Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:43 AM

Damn

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:45 AM

I liked him best on McHales Navy, but he was great on Carol Burnett too.

I especially enjoyed it when he and Harvey Korman would be in the middle of a skit and Conway would ad-lib some hilarious bit and Korman would crack up and be unable to finish the skit with a straight face.

RIP Tim Conway.

:(

#4 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:56 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 02:45 AM, said:

I especially enjoyed it when he and Harvey Korman would be in the middle of a skit and Conway would ad-lib some hilarious bit and Korman would crack up and be unable to finish the skit with a straight face.

RIP Tim Conway.

https://www.youtube....h?v=3qqE_WmagjY

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:56 AM

View PostModerator T, on 15 May 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

Yup, that's what I mean, LOL.

:yes:

#6 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:40 AM

Funny guy. Conway brought lots of laughs to our family watching The Carol Burnett Show.

RIP

#7 User is offline   Mrdirt73 

• Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

One of my all time favorites. My favorite movie was Private Eyes as a kid. We even had my 7th or 8th birthday party at the local theater to watch it.

#8 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

I loved Conway. Ad lib guys like himself and Jonathan Winters are rare. He made the Carol Burnett Show. Ms. Burnett is certainly funny but the rest of the cast is pretty so-so. Korman played a great straight man to Burnett or especially Conway, he was capable but when he tried for laughs, it came across as hammy, with the silly accents or walks. With Conway, Korman found his place. Vicki Lawrence was okay but as one who has witnessed an episode of Mama's Family once, I can tell you, she can't carry a scene in a basket without help. Lyle Waggoner was just a big, tall, handsome presence. Rock Hudson could have done Waggoner's bits in his sleep. He was mainly known for being handsome and able to resist cracking up at Conway.

Except in reruns, I haven't really seen Conway in anything since the 70's, so I can't say I will miss him but I sure did like to watch his work then and do now.

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostMagic Rat, on 15 May 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

I loved Conway. Ad lib guys like himself and Jonathan Winters are rare. He made the Carol Burnett Show. Ms. Burnett is certainly funny but the rest of the cast is pretty so-so. Korman played a great straight man to Burnett or especially Conway, he was capable but when he tried for laughs, it came across as hammy, with the silly accents or walks. With Conway, Korman found his place. Vicki Lawrence was okay but as one who has witnessed an episode of Mama's Family once, I can tell you, she can't carry a scene in a basket without help. Lyle Waggoner was just a big, tall, handsome presence. Rock Hudson could have done Waggoner's bits in his sleep. He was mainly known for being handsome and able to resist cracking up at Conway.

Except in reruns, I haven't really seen Conway in anything since the 70's, so I can't say I will miss him but I sure did like to watch his work then and do now.

Sponge Bob's Barnacle Boy was his most recent and last work.

Oki

#10 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Dang, the ones I grew up with are fading away. Some of the best ever. http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/boohoo.gif RIP, Mr. Conway, I certainly enjoyed many hours with my dad, now also gone, laughing over your skits.

#11 User is offline   donsaliman 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

I just think about him and I laugh, if you were ever depressed, this comedian would cure your depression.

I think his scene as a dentist, is the funniest I have ever seen and I don't know if it is true or not, but Harvey Corman laughed so much that he peed in his pants.

Tim and Carol Burnet I understood tried to see if she or Tim could make the other laugh more.

I watched I think of all the Carol Burnett shows and Tim Conway show and after each show, no matter how tense I was or mad or depressed their shows cured me and the best medicine is laughter sure worked for me

I just saw on youtube the dentist scene and have so far watched it 4 times in the last couple of hours and laughed just as hard as the first time I have seen it.

I think the only other comedy acts I still laugh at are with Abbot and Costello "who is on first"

Harpo Mark, Red Skelton, I am smiling now just thinking about these comedians and so many more and then I think of today, and all of them would have been banned because of the snowflakes we have today.

Comedy is slowly dying today as you cannot risk hurting the snowflakes of today.

I am 81 years old and partly because of these comedians, I can still laugh at the world.

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

View Postdonsaliman, on 15 May 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

I just think about him and I laugh, if you were ever depressed, this comedian would cure your depression.

I think his scene as a dentist, is the funniest I have ever seen and I don't know if it is true or not, but Harvey Corman laughed so much that he peed in his pants.

Tim and Carol Burnet I understood tried to see if she or Tim could make the other laugh more.

I watched I think of all the Carol Burnett shows and Tim Conway show and after each show, no matter how tense I was or mad or depressed their shows cured me and the best medicine is laughter sure worked for me

I just saw on youtube the dentist scene and have so far watched it 4 times in the last couple of hours and laughed just as hard as the first time I have seen it.

I think the only other comedy acts I still laugh at are with Abbot and Costello "who is on first"

Harpo Mark, Red Skelton, I am smiling now just thinking about these comedians and so many more and then I think of today, and all of them would have been banned because of the snowflakes we have today.

Comedy is slowly dying today as you cannot risk hurting the snowflakes of today.

I am 81 years old and partly because of these comedians, I can still laugh at the world.

Good sir you just summed it up perfectly.
That's why some of the best stuff currently on are those who give it to everyone, that way they cannot be acussed of anything.

Oki

#13 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Ernest Borgnine on working with Tim Conway

#14 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

Dorf.

#16 User is offline   linewinder 

• Ichi Go Ni

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 02:45 AM, said:

RIP Tim Conway.

:thumbsup:

#17 User is offline   donsaliman 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

I heard this long ago, on the stone of a dead person it reads "If you cannot remember me with a smile, then don't remember me at all"

For Tim Conway RSVP you left us with a laugh and we will remember you with a laugh.

Thank you

#18 User is offline   linewinder 

• Ichi Go Ni

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

View Postdonsaliman, on 15 May 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

And those old comedians did not have to rely on vulgarity to get laughs.

#19 User is offline   DJGoody 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

View PostLadybird, on 15 May 2019 - 05:40 AM, said:

Funny guy. Conway brought lots of laughs to our family watching The Carol Burnett Show.

RIP

Exactly! I used to watch him when I was a wee lad with my mother. I loved hearing her crack up to his bits.

#20 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users