RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Tennessee DA won't give gay couples domestic assault protections - RightNation.US

Tennessee DA won't give gay couples domestic assault protections Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

Tennessee DA won't give gay couples domestic assault protections

Adam Tamburin, Nashville Tennessean
Published 12:28 p.m. CT June 5, 2019 | Updated 1:15 p.m. CT June 5, 2019
Excerpt:

More than 200 Nashville lawyers have called for an ethics investigation into a Tennessee prosecutor who said he refuses to bring domestic assault charges if a case involves a gay couple and who called Islam an “evil belief system.”

Coffee County District Attorney Craig Northcott has courted outrage for his comments against gay people during a speech and against Muslims on Facebook. Critics say they show Northcott “will not serve nor protect the constitutional rights of citizens without first subjecting them to a test of sexuality or religious-beliefs.”

A growing coalition of lawyers called on the Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility to investigate Wednesday, signing an open letter penned by Nashville lawyer Sunny Eaton. Eaton said she plans to send the letter this week.

Eaton said she wasn’t typically eager to jump into the fray over individual lawyers’ beliefs, but she decided to do so now because of Northcott’s influence and the implications his comments have on Coffee County cases.

“The position that Northcott’s in and the damage that he can do, really on a day-to-day level is just too far," Eaton said.

Eaton’s letter highlights Northcott’s comments on two different occasions. Both sets of comments were first reported by The Tennessee Holler, a liberal news outlet.

During a 2018 speech to a group of pastors, Northcott said he did not recognize the validity of “homosexual marriage” and therefor didn’t prosecute assaults between gay couples as domestic assaults.

“The reason that there's extra punishment on domestic violence is to recognize and protect the sanctity of marriage,” Northcott said during his speech. “And I said there's no marriage to protect. So I don't prosecute them as domestics."

Tennessee law sets wide parameters for domestic assault and does not limit charges to married people or people who are straight. In fact, under the law, roommates could be charged with domestic assault after an attack.

<snip>

Link

#2 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:01 PM

Seem to me, the prosecutor should follow the law but if this is a concern to the citizens of Coffee County, they should vote him out.

#3 User is online   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

Are you suggesting gays are involved in domestic assaults? Sounds homophobic to me.

#4 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 06 June 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Seem to me, the prosecutor should follow the law but if this is a concern to the citizens of Coffee County, they should vote him out.

As it should be. Some prosecutor said something and Ralph Northam is still governor of Virginia.

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 06 June 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Okay. If the majority of citizenry are not concerned with the rights of a minority, do those minorities still have a right to equal protection under our laws?

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 06 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

#6 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

View PostLadybird, on 06 June 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

Okay. If the majority of citizenry are not concerned with the rights of a minority, do those minorities still have a right to equal protection under our laws?

Two wolves and a sheep arguing what's for dinner. You're almost there.

#7 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Maybe the question is: Which minorities have equal protection under the law and which minorities don't? If that's the question...

#8 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

What did I say?

#9 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:57 PM

He should be fired for not protecting any victim regardless of who they choose to screw if that’s the only thing he’s basing his desicion on. But if that’s the case why just not file a restraining order? I don’t think you have to say I need my roommate bob served with a restraining order and I screw him? If the facts are as stated the da needs to be fired. But I always doubt the left is providing all the facts and not just looking for drama. By the way I notice they have an issue in the first paragraph with him bad mouthing Islam. Guess he should have just handed them rocks and let them stone each other as is custom. I also see there is no case he actually denied anyone protection. So it’s he doesn’t believe in gay partners or Islam. Guess what as long as he rules by the law I give a rats ass what he believes. I’m sure you can post examples where he actually denied gay couples protection lady bird? If he did then he should be fired. Or are we now guilty by what we might do, or is it because he is white?

This post has been edited by Squirrel: 06 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

#10 User is offline   tonguezilla 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:56 PM

Seems like you have almost grasped the concept of the electoral college and the senate.

#11 User is offline   67Mustang 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

I don't read the Tennessean, all the spin makes me dizzy.

#12 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:36 PM

View Posttonguezilla, on 06 June 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Seems like you have almost grasped the concept of the electoral college and the senate.

:thumbsup:

#13 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:50 AM

View PostLadybird, on 06 June 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

Tennessee law sets wide parameters for domestic assault and does not limit charges to married people or people who are straight. In fact, under the law, roommates could be charged with domestic assault after an attack.

There it is then, in black and white.

He should be removed from his position

#14 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:59 AM

Figures who the op was...

#15 User is offline   bigpapa 

• Zygotista
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:23 AM

I think we're missing part of this story. He says he doesn't prosecute these incidences as domestic crimes. What does he prosecute them as? Does he ignore these incidences of violence? I can't tell from these quotes.

#16 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

He said the prosecutor should follow the law. That seems pretty straightforward.

#17 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:42 AM

View PostSquirrel, on 06 June 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

He should be fired for not protecting any victim regardless of who they choose to screw if that's the only thing he's basing his desicion on. But if that's the case why just not file a restraining order? I don't think you have to say I need my roommate bob served with a restraining order and I screw him? If the facts are as stated the da needs to be fired. But I always doubt the left is providing all the facts and not just looking for drama. By the way I notice they have an issue in the first paragraph with him bad mouthing Islam. Guess he should have just handed them rocks and let them stone each other as is custom. I also see there is no case he actually denied anyone protection. So it's he doesn't believe in gay partners or Islam. Guess what as long as he rules by the law I give a rats ass what he believes. I'm sure you can post examples where he actually denied gay couples protection lady bird? If he did then he should be fired. Or are we now guilty by what we might do, or is it because he is white?

Where did Ladybird say anything about race in this story? Nobody mentioned race except you. I get sick of black people making up Schiff about race........and I get sick of white people making it about race.

The rest of your response was great until that point.

#18 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

View Postbigpapa, on 07 June 2019 - 06:23 AM, said:

I think we're missing part of this story. He says he doesn't prosecute these incidences as domestic crimes. What does he prosecute them as? Does he ignore these incidences of violence? I can't tell from these quotes.

He said he prosecutes those case as simple assault and not as ‘domestic violence’, which brings on harsher penalties for the abuser.

This is what he said:
"What do I do with domestic assaults? On one hand I don't prosecute them because I don't recognize it as marriage. On the other hand, if I don't prosecute them then the sinner—the immoral guy—gets less punishment. What do you do?

"Well the reason where I came down in my evaluation was the reason that there's extra punishment on domestic violence is to recognize and protect the sanctity of marriage. And I said there's no marriage to protect. So I don't prosecute them as domestics."

#19 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

When is anything the left posts not about race? Guess what as a white person im sick of the lefts <censored> and racism so I automaticly assume that’s the motive. It is 90% of the time how white people made them the victim weather it’s race or religion so I asked if this was just anouther example?

#20 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

https://www.criminal...s-charges-penal

By Tennessee law those cases fall under domestic violence. If there are examples and cases he refused to prosecute as that. Then he should be fired. That is the tenn goverment report on domestic violence. But as I said I don’t trust the left or newspapers to give all the facts. I’d like to see examples he decided not to prosecute for that reason alone. I think if that’s his belief he made a mistake not recusing himself from any gay cases just for appearance sake.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users