RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Trumpís Great D-Day Speech - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trumpís Great D-Day Speech Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

Trumpís Great D-Day Speech

The president makes the case for national spirit, sovereignty, and strength

The Washington Free Beacon
BY: Matthew Continetti
June 6, 2019 2:38 pm

Excerpt:

President Trump gave one of the best speeches of his presidency while many Americans were brushing their teeth. His remarks at the seventy-fifth commemoration of D-Day at the Normandy American cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France, were gracious, moving, poetic, and delivered in a time zone six hours ahead of the East Coast.

Which is too bad. The address deserves a wide audience not only for its content but also because it fits into the larger themes of this presidency. Speaking from what he described as "Freedom's Altar," Donald Trump once again made the case for reviving America's national spirit, sovereignty, and strength.

Trump told the story of D-Day and of some exemplary GIs before an audience that included more than 60 veterans of the landings themselves. Adding to the poignancy of the scene was the knowledge that the Greatest Generation is slowly fading into posterity. "When you were young, these men enlisted their lives in a Great Crusadeóone of the greatest of all times," the president said. "Their mission is the story of an epic battle and the ferocious, eternal struggle between good and evil."

The phrase "Great Crusade" harks back to General Eisenhower's statement to the soldiers, sailors, and airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force, and to FDR's D-Day prayer. The language of good and evil, and the invocation of God, echoes earlier Trump speeches as well as those of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. In his prepared speeches, Trump has been unafraid to speak in plainly moral terms, and to call on the best traditions of American rhetoric.

What makes Trump's language unique is his emphasis on nations. Trump catalogued the Allies who fought the Nazis at Normandy. He noted the "nobility and fortitude" of the British people and "the full grandeur of British pride." He acknowledged the "sense of honor and loyalty" of the Canadians. He recognized "the fighting Poles, the tough Norwegians, and the intrepid Aussies." He saluted "the gallant French commandos, soon to be met by thousands of their brave countrymen ready to write a new chapter in the long history of French valor."

Trump's most stirring words, of course, were dedicated to the American people. "They came from the farms of a vast heartland, the streets of glowing cities, and the forges of mighty industrial towns." The Americans who fought in World War II, and who charged Omaha beach, "ran through the fires of hell moved by a force no weapon could destroy: the fierce patriotism of a free, proud, and sovereign people. They battled not for control and domination, but for liberty, democracy, and self-rule."

As he did in his 2017 address to the people of Poland, Trump connects heroism and valor to nationhood and religious feeling. "The exceptional might came from a truly exceptional spirit," he said at Normandy. "The abundance of courage came from an abundance of faith. The great deeds of an Army came from the great depths of their love."

In the Warsaw speech, he said, "Through four decades of communist rule, Poland and the other captive nations of Europe endured a brutal campaign to demolish freedom, your faith, your laws, your history, your identityóindeed the very essence of your culture and your humanity. Yet, through it all, you never lost that spirit."

It is sometimes jarring to hear the proprietor of Mar-a-Lago direct our attention to the spiritual realm. Here, too, Trump's rhetoric maintains its ties to some of America's greatest orators. In his "Time for Choosing" speech of October 1964, Ronald Reagan quoted Winston Churchill, who said, "The destiny of man is not measured by material computations. When great forces are on the move in the world, we learn we're spiritsónot animals." Churchill, Reagan continued, also said, "There's something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." The men who fought for freedom at Normandy know what he meant.

Beginning with his Inaugural Address, but developed more fully in his speech to the Arab Islamic American Summit in Riyadh, in his Warsaw appearance, and in his 2017 remarks at the U.N. General Assembly, Donald Trump has offered a consistent perspective on foreign affairs. The world is composed of nations that, at the end of the day, are accountable only to themselves and to their people. The strength of a nation manifests itself in economics and military might, but ultimately depends on patriotic feeling, communal sensibility, and religious belief.

*snip*

Full Article

#2 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

I had the privilege of being there. His speech was good and it was well delivered. The 170 Vets we had there were definitely the focus and they were greatly honored. I met a good number of them including several who landed on DDay.

Macronís speech was also good and he gave 5 vets the Legion of Honor. It was, however, more politically pointed. He basically said that Trump needs to remember the America of WW2 who was a Partner and an ally and that we canít go it alone.

The 21 gun salute, the flyovers, and the EUCOM band were all great. And it was a gorgeous day when were expecting rain!

#3 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

I watched both Macron's and Trump's speeches. I even watched Macron's a second time because the translator talking over his speech was distracting. Trump unintentionally rebuffed Macron right on the spot! Almost like they were in a debate over globalism versus sovereignty.

Macron read a timeline of the post-World War II formation of the United Nations, NATO, and the European Union. He read it like a grocery list. He closed with a stale appeal to continue the path down globalism and entrusting our betters to the task. Trump did not read from a script. He knew names of people, places, and battles. He knew dates and statistics. Trump was simply amazing.

Macron sat there in a bit of a slouch. Halfway through Trump's speech, his spine stiffened. He sat upright and wore a proud smile not a smug, sh!t-eating grin. Praise be that Hillary? was not up on that stage!

#4 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 07 June 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

I watched both Macron's and Trump's speeches. I even watched Macron's a second time because the translator talking over his speech was distracting. Trump unintentionally rebuffed Macron right on the spot! Almost like they were in a debate over globalism versus sovereignty.

Macron read a timeline of the post-World War II formation of the United Nations, NATO, and the European Union. He read it like a grocery list. He closed with a stale appeal to continue the path down globalism and entrusting our betters to the task. Trump did not read from a script. He knew names of people, places, and battles. He knew dates and statistics. Trump was simply amazing.

Macron sat there in a bit of a slouch. Halfway through Trump's speech, his spine stiffened. He sat upright and wore a proud smile not a smug, sh!t-eating grin. Praise be that Hillary? was not up on that stage!

Trump had and read from a TelePrompTer.

#5 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:03 PM

View PostJerryL, on 07 June 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

Trump had and read from a TelePrompTer.

I am sure he had teleprompters and other cues. However, he did go off-script quite a bit. Macron had one in hand.

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostJerryL, on 07 June 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

I had the privilege of being there. His speech was good and it was well delivered. The 170 Vets we had there were definitely the focus and they were greatly honored. I met a good number of them including several who landed on DDay.

Macronís speech was also good and he gave 5 vets the Legion of Honor. It was, however, more politically pointed. He basically said that Trump needs to remember the America of WW2 who was a Partner and an ally and that we canít go it alone.

The 21 gun salute, the flyovers, and the EUCOM band were all great. And it was a gorgeous day when were expecting rain!

Seriously? You were there? Oh man I'm envious.

:2up:

#7 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

View PostLiz, on 07 June 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

Trumpís Great D-Day Speech

Yeah, well, instead the media would rather vomit up slanted bile "analysis" like this: https://www.cnn.com/...andy/index.html

#8 User is offline   Timothy 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

It was a pretty good speech.

#9 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostTimothy, on 07 June 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

It was a pretty good speech.

Why not great or exceptional?

#10 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

View Postzurg, on 07 June 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Let actualization and realization take its course.

#11 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:14 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 07 June 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

I am sure he had teleprompters and other cues. However, he did go off-script quite a bit. Macron had one in hand.

If you have the words in front of your face, you donít have to have them in your hands.

Donít get me wrong, I thought he gave a great speech. I thought his sincerity was miles beyond that of Macron. The only part of Macronís that rivaled Trumpís was talking about the individual soldiers to whom he presented the Legion díHonneur. While Trump may have ad libbed a bit, he had his speech in front of him.

#12 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:15 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 June 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

Seriously? You were there? Oh man I'm envious.

Will send some photos to your email. Went up on Tuesday and came back yesterday. 16 hour days!

#13 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:19 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 07 June 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

Yeah, well, instead the media would rather vomit up slanted bile "analysis" like this: https://www.cnn.com/...andy/index.html

My wife was watching the ceremony live on TV here in France. Once the speakers were done, she had to turn it off. The commentators, and the French love to have 4 or 5 dissecting every word said.

Why did Trump have to mention God so much? Even Germanís believed in God and they gave us the Naziís.

What France is Macron talking about? Where is this strong France? What has he done?

What about the Russians? Why only honor the Americans when the Russians played a huge part in WW2?

And so in.

#14 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

View PostJerryL, on 08 June 2019 - 01:15 AM, said:

Will send some photos to your email. Went up on Tuesday and came back yesterday. 16 hour days!

Yeah, I got them. Thanks! Some great pictures.

#15 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:52 PM

Yeah, those pics were awesome! :whistling:

#16 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:26 AM

View Postzurg, on 07 June 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Because his messiah the Obamanation didn't deliver it. Nor could he since he does not believe in a strong independent America. So it would be more me me me i i i...

You would almost believe Obama stormed the beaches alone and won WW2.

#17 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:33 AM

View Postzurg, on 08 June 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

Yeah, those pics were awesome! :whistling:

I posted them on RN Facebook. For some reason, I donít think everyone can see them. I donít know how to post pictures from my phone to a thread here. PM me an email address and I will send them to you.

View PostMontyPython, on 08 June 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Yeah, I got them. Thanks! Some great pictures.

Great!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users