RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: There are more jobs than people out of work - RightNation.US

There are more jobs than people out of work something the American economy has never experienced before Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:26 PM

There are more jobs than people out of work, something the American economy has never experienced before
PUBLISHED TUE, JUN 5 2018 12:24 PM EDT UPDATED TUE, JUN 5 2018 4:40 PM EDT
Jeff Cox
CNBC

<More Bad News For democrats Here>

There are more jobs than people out of work. The jobs market has reached what should be some kind of inflection point: there are now more openings than there are workers. April marked the second month in a row this historic event has occurred, and the gap is growing. According to the monthly Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey released Tuesday, there were just shy of 6.7 million open positions in April, the most recent month for which data are available. That represented an increase of 65,000 from March and is a record.

The number of vacancies is pulling well ahead of the number the Bureau of Labor Statistics counts as unemployed. This year is the first time the level of the unemployed exceeded the jobs available since the BLS started tracking JOLTS numbers in 2000. As of April, the total workers looking and eligible for jobs fell to 6.35 million, a decrease from 6.58 million the previous month. The number fell further in May to 6.06 million, though there is no comparable JOLTS data for that month. Under normal circumstances, the mismatch would be creating a demand for higher wages. However, average hourly earnings rose just 2.7 percent annualized in May, up one-tenth of a point from April.

"Given these trends, the sluggish wage growth rate is even more perplexing," said Cathy Barrera, chief economist at ZipRecruiter, an online employment marketplace. "If employers want to fill these 6.7 million job openings, they are either going to have to raise wages or find more clever and creative ways to recruit workers off the sidelines."

Employers have been complaining for years about a skills mismatch, or the inability to find workers with the right training for the positions available. In the meantime, companies are adding other incentives to retain workers and pull new ones in. As the demand grows, workers have gotten more confident about leaving their current positions for better ones.

The total "quits" rate has been nudging higher this year and was at 2.3 percent in April, the highest since 2005 and above the 2.1 percent rate a year ago and the 1.3 percent bottom set in 2010. Barrera said the rate should be higher.

(snip)

<More Bad News For democrats Here>

#2 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:42 PM

Hey, wait! Where are you going? All I said is we've got jobs!?

http://i.postimg.cc/BnJF6XMz/blacks-running-away.jpg

#3 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:25 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 08 June 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Loot

#4 User is online   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

View Posttailgunner, on 08 June 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

Loot

Itís that old saying: Where do you go when you need money? You go to work.

#5 User is offline   GhostOfAndrewJackson 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

Trump and Americans really needs to think this through.
Employers should be encouraged to tap the potential of the senior work force and Americans should be encouraged to fill the gap and take part time work. PSAs need to proclaim the dignity that is work. Seniors might benefit from having purpose and the ability to stay engaged with a variety of generations of Americans. In order to accommodate and invigorate the labor force SS needs to be adjusted so your SS benefit is not reduced by earned income.
The other choice is more migration, more illegal aliens, and more immigration. It is a long term problem for a short term issue as automation can take over many tasks and free up workers in the long run.
There is dignity in work and the socialization aspects should not be underestimated.

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In fact, I've been saying it for as long as I've been on this board (Jeez, has it been almost 15 years?)

For at least as long as I've in in the workforce and observing things (First full time 'real' job (not counting farm labor) was as a "strike breaker"**, er, contract "security guard" summer of '77 for what was then Burns Security in Indianapolis (Now part of Securitas). Yeah, I can wield a mean baton, and I don't mean as part of a marching band.). Anyways it's always seemed to be that, For as long as I've been observing, we've NEVE had an "Unemployment" problem in this country; what we have is an "employ-ability" problem.

I would define "Full Employment" at ~10% "unemployment", because AT LEAST 1-in-10 workers aren't qualified/competent at the jobs they're currently doing. Closest we've gotten to that in my working lifetime was officially 9.9% at the peak of the "Great Recession" in 2009. Anything less than that, it means employers can't "pick and choose" to get the best of the best but have to "settle for" someone. As of May, it's currently 3.9%, which basically means that if you've got a pulse you've got a job if you want it even if you're not fully qualified. I would define that as a 6.1% "qualifications gap" per the Smithee Rule.

EtA: ** = I don't know the film it's from, but it's hilarious as all get out:

The lead actor makes me think of a young Robert Davi, but it couldn't possible be him, unless this was a modern "spoof" rather than a '30s film.

EtA-2: Strikebreaking with a baton is an art form. You want to take people out of action without permanent injury (lawsuits, etc). The chinese know how to do it (I've posted videos from time to time). Glancing blow to the head with a deft touch. (No, Don't go all "Rodney King" on a guy). Practice on a cantaloupe. "Swipe" the cantalope with a glancing blow so it get's cracked open but not smooshed ala Gallagher. THAT'S the closest approximation.)

Student in Dubai once asked, (When I was on contract to their Military Intelligence Security Service (An unfortunate choice of acronyms In english), what about coconuts rather that cantaloupe? Well, yeah, you don't want to go THAT far. Human skulls are roughly close to coconuts but you don't to crack one. Take a defter touch as with cantaloupes.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 08 June 2019 - 08:05 PM

#7 User is online   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 08 June 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In fact, I've been saying it for as long as I've been on this board (Jeez, has it been almost 15 years?)

For at least as long as I've in in the workforce and observing things (First full time 'real' job (not counting farm labor) was as a "strike breaker", er, contract "security guard" summer of '77 for what was then Burns Security in Indianapolis (Now part of Securitas). Yeah, I can wield a mean baton, and I don't mean as part of a marching band.). Anyways it's always seemed to be that, For as long as I've been observing, we've NEVE had an "Unemployment" problem in this country; what we have is an "employ-ability" problem.

I would define "Full Employment" at ~10% "unemployment", because AT LEAST 1-in-10 workers aren't qualified/competent at the jobs they're currently doing. Closest we've gotten to that in my working lifetime was officially 9.9% at the peak of the "Great Recession" in 2009. Anything less than that, it means employers can't "pick and choose" to get the best of the best but have to "settle for" someone. As of May, it's currently 3.9%, which basically means that if you've got a pulse you've got a job if you want it even if you're not fully qualified. I would define that as a 6.1% "qualifications gap" per the Smithee Rule.

Sometimes employers have to train people to do the jobs they need them to do. The airline industry learned that and that's why I am in a course to become a first officer in one of the regional airlines. It's a tough course but well worth the effort.

#8 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 08 June 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

Sometimes employers have to train people to do the jobs they need them to do. The airline industry learned that and that's why I am in a course to become a first officer in one of the regional airlines. It's a tough course but well worth the effort.

I have seen more companies doing that. Universities, outside of most STEM courses, teach little that is applicable in the real world, mainly because their teachers have never worked in the real world. Mike Rowe's scholarship program is another good initiative. There is a desperate need for electricians, machine shop workers, plumber, carpenters, etc. Try hiring one and see how it goes. I think the military is the only one training people in practical skills, or at least one of the few.

#9 User is online   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:12 AM

View PostBookdoc, on 08 June 2019 - 08:39 PM, said:

I have seen more companies doing that. Universities, outside of most STEM courses, teach little that is applicable in the real world, mainly because their teachers have never worked in the real world. Mike Rowe's scholarship program is another good initiative. There is a desperate need for electricians, machine shop workers, plumber, carpenters, etc. Try hiring one and see how it goes. I think the military is the only one training people in practical skills, or at least one of the few.

Don't get me started about "teachers". I don't call them that anymore, they are indoctrinators. Simply spewing what ever marxist drivel is pushed to them from their betters. None of them have a single concept, independent thought or belief. They are nothing more than trained spider monkeys throwing feces around and seeing where it sticks.

If I had my way every indoctrinator in America would be fired (out of a damn cannon to Cuba where they could enjoy their utopia), barring that I would fire them and put them on a job at McDonalds. No one under the age of 40 should be allowed near children period, and they should be required to have 2 careers under their belt before they are granted the privilege of training the next generation of Americans. These people are single handedly destroying this nation with their crap.

#10 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 09 June 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

Don't get me started about "teachers". I don't call them that anymore, they are indoctrinators. Simply spewing what ever marxist drivel is pushed to them from their betters. None of them have a single concept, independent thought or belief. They are nothing more than trained spider monkeys throwing feces around and seeing where it sticks.

If I had my way every indoctrinator in America would be fired (out of a damn cannon to Cuba where they could enjoy their utopia), barring that I would fire them and put them on a job at McDonalds. No one under the age of 40 should be allowed near children period, and they should be required to have 2 careers under their belt before they are granted the privilege of training the next generation of Americans. These people are single handedly destroying this nation with their crap.

:clap: Well said

#11 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:40 AM

http://i.postimg.cc/TPLQRhtb/teacher-pay.png

#12 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

View PostGhostOfAndrewJackson, on 08 June 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

There is dignity in work and the socialization aspects should not be underestimated.

True, but sadly an idea that is anathema in the postmodern world. The Greatest Generation knew that, modern people not so much.

I'd vote for political reeducation camps on the north slope of Alaska building roads for the oil companies to use.

#13 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:12 PM

View PostGhostOfAndrewJackson, on 08 June 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

Trump and Americans really needs to think this through.
Employers should be encouraged to tap the potential of the senior work force and Americans should be encouraged to fill the gap and take part time work. PSAs need to proclaim the dignity that is work. Seniors might benefit from having purpose and the ability to stay engaged with a variety of generations of Americans. In order to accommodate and invigorate the labor force SS needs to be adjusted so your SS benefit is not reduced by earned income.
The other choice is more migration, more illegal aliens, and more immigration. It is a long term problem for a short term issue as automation can take over many tasks and free up workers in the long run.

I definitely understand this. Due to a couple of injuries, I finally had to retire as I could not perform as needed for my job. I got bored after a couple of months being a house husband and got the first job I interviewed for as a part time teller at a bank. I was part of a test as most part timers lasted 6 months or less. I am in my third year, have gotten bonuses and raises, and the bank is now seeking out retired people. As the HR lady put it, we show up and work while we are there (instead of doing fascist book and playing on our phones)!

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 08 June 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

View PostBookdoc, on 08 June 2019 - 08:39 PM, said:

Even WITH STEM it's still necessary.

Case in point: The Smithee organization. Our specialty is 'Arcane'. Life Safety/Security Systems and Industrial Safety Instrumentation
Systems. Mostly revolving around three vendors: Siemens PCS7 "Safety Matrix', Honeywell "Experion", and Rockwell software formerly known as Allen-Bradley.

A STEM degree is a pre-requisite. But it's not the be-all-end-all. A STEM degree gets your foot in the door. Then another 7 weeks of training with the vendor. Then at least a year or so helping on projects until you're given one of your own.

(When I was with a German major multinational, our training was 7 weeks, full time (36 hrs/wk) and I later became a "Trainer" myself)

You CAN'T teach at the Univ level (Tho I have been a guest lecturer a syracuse U. The field evolves too fast. If I were to put EVERYTHING I know about, say Siemens PCS7 + Safety Matrix today? By the time it got reviewed/accepted/whatever/"published" as a univ textbook? It would be obsolete.

What I LIKE is the current trend of big companies partnering withe local Community Colleges for this specialized training. But I have a dog in the fight: I DO that, from time to time

#15 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 09 June 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

Even WITH STEM it's still necessary.

Case in point: The Smithee organization. Our specialty is 'Arcane'. Life Safety/Security Systems and Industrial Safety Instrumentation
Systems. Mostly revolving around three vendors: Siemens PCS7 "Safety Matrix', Honeywell "Experion", and Rockwell software formerly known as Allen-Bradley.

A STEM degree is a pre-requisite. But it's not the be-all-end-all. A STEM degree gets your foot in the door. Then another 7 weeks of training with the vendor. Then at least a year or so helping on projects until you're given one of your own.

(When I was with a German major multinational, our training was 7 weeks, full time (36 hrs/wk) and I later became a "Trainer" myself)

You CAN'T teach at the Univ level (Tho I have been a guest lecturer a syracuse U. The field evolves too fast. If I were to put EVERYTHING I know about, say Siemens PCS7 + Safety Matrix today? By the time it got reviewed/accepted/whatever/"published" as a univ textbook? It would be obsolete.

What I LIKE is the current trend of big companies partnering withe local Community Colleges for this specialized training. But I have a dog in the fight: I DO that, from time to time

How has your experience been with technically trained veterans?

#16 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:13 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 08 June 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

That says it all! :lol:

TRUTH! :yes:

Hide your valuables inside of your work boots.

Thieves and bums will never look there!

#17 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:19 AM

:exactly: :2up:

Their federally written curriculum that they have to teach is all written for them, so they are being put up to brainwashing the kids with progressivism/Marxism, but they do it because most of them are proggies themselves and believe in the crap themselves.

I had a few conservative teachers back in the day and it wasn't difficult to see that they did not like having to teach the proggy crap that they were supposed/required to and they would offer up their own opinions about it to us as they went along.

Those were my favorite teachers (but they were few in numbers) and I will never forget them.

#18 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:22 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 09 June 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

That guy will be making payments on that ginormous tool box for the rest of his life and then his children will have to take over making them, then their children's children.... :lol:

The Snap On man, the Matco man, etc. are worse than banksters!

#19 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

:exactly:

#20 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

:thumbsup:

And every year like clockwork around August, the teachers-cum-martyrs love to trot that out. And God help you if you don't nod in agreement so fast that you pull a muscle.

What they fail to realize, as your meme so pointedly indicates, is that they're not the only ones so 'burdened'. Yet they are the only ones that bitch year after year.

It they're not satisfied with their pay, change careers. They're not chained to their desks, and it's not like they didn't know that primary and secondary education weren't Hollywood-level salaries. Are they bad? In many (but not all) areas yes, and that is problematic. But they need to look at their administrators, not the taxpayers. The U.S. pays more per pupil than any other nation to 'educate' their kids. Check out education expenditures over time and track where the money is going: administration. All those diversity consultants and deputy assistant principals and such don't come cheap. Lastly, I've witnessed firsthand the mental midgets that are becoming teachers. Frankly, most of them aren't worth what they're getting paid NOW, least of all any more.

Before we as a nation thrown more money at education, we need a purge from the bottom up and the top down. Eliminate Common Core (thank you President Trump)--complete. Next, toss out the dead wood, rewrite contracts, dismantle teacher's unions, get rid of the concept of tenure, and conduct rigorous academic testing of existing personnel and prospective applicants. Then and only then raise salaries for those who cut the mustard.

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 10 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users