RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Councilman Kenyatta Johnson pushes ban on bay windows, seen as a symbo - RightNation.US

Councilman Kenyatta Johnson pushes ban on bay windows, seen as a symbo Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

Councilman Kenyatta Johnson pushes ban on bay windows, seen as a symbol of gentrification, in his South Philly district

Caitlin McCabe,
Philadelphia Inquirer
5/28/19

EXCERPT:

After coasting to an easy victory last week in what was expected to be a competitive and potentially groundbreaking Democratic primary election, City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson returned to Council just two days later with his eyes set on regulating new construction in his fast-gentrifying district — a contentious subject that was seen as a key issue in his primary race.

Johnson, who represents much of South Philadelphia, introduced a bill during City Council’s May 23 session that would ban balconies and bay windows across Point Breeze and Grays Ferry. The two architectural features would still be allowed outside of those two neighborhoods, but according to the bill, the distance from which they can project from a building would continue to be regulated.

Johnson’s legislation comes amid unprecedented change in his district, which stretches from the fast-gentrifying neighborhoods of Graduate Hospital and Point Breeze, to areas farther south and west, including the Navy Yard and Eastwick. Thousands of new rowhouses have been built, adding taller and showier structures to older and modest rowhouse blocks. The boxy, bump-out bay windows that Johnson aims to legislate have become a well-known architectural feature of Philadelphia’s construction boom, just as aluminum siding and roof decks have.

For some homeowners in the market for newly constructed homes, balconies and bump-out bay windows offer two things that a traditional rowhouse can’t: additional space and light.

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

So the concept of private property ownership so dear the the Founders doesn't have a place in the councilman's world. . . .

#3 User is offline   USMCforever60 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

View PostModerator T, on 10 June 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

Councilman Kenyatta Johnson pushes ban on bay windows, seen as a symbol of gentrification, in his South Philly district

Caitlin McCabe,
Philadelphia Inquirer
5/28/19

EXCERPT:

After coasting to an easy victory last week in what was expected to be a competitive and potentially groundbreaking Democratic primary election, City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson returned to Council just two days later with his eyes set on regulating new construction in his fast-gentrifying district — a contentious subject that was seen as a key issue in his primary race.

Johnson, who represents much of South Philadelphia, introduced a bill during City Council’s May 23 session that would ban balconies and bay windows across Point Breeze and Grays Ferry. The two architectural features would still be allowed outside of those two neighborhoods, but according to the bill, the distance from which they can project from a building would continue to be regulated.

Johnson’s legislation comes amid unprecedented change in his district, which stretches from the fast-gentrifying neighborhoods of Graduate Hospital and Point Breeze, to areas farther south and west, including the Navy Yard and Eastwick. Thousands of new rowhouses have been built, adding taller and showier structures to older and modest rowhouse blocks. The boxy, bump-out bay windows that Johnson aims to legislate have become a well-known architectural feature of Philadelphia’s construction boom, just as aluminum siding and roof decks have.

For some homeowners in the market for newly constructed homes, balconies and bump-out bay windows offer two things that a traditional rowhouse can’t: additional space and light.

(Full Story)

yet another example of requiring an "Intelligence Test" before you can hold office, vote, operate heavy machinery, drive.....Ms Johnson is only shakin down the construction companies for money.
Personally, the construction companies should entomb her in concrete, like the teamsters did to "Little Jimmy Hoffa"!

#4 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

How is it possible to fit so much stupid into a single person? I know it IS possible, I just wonder HOW.

#5 User is offline   Big Dave 

• ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

I wonder if she's related to Hank?

#6 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

View PostConfessor, on 10 June 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

How is it possible to fit so much stupid into a single person? I know it IS possible, I just wonder HOW.

Combine CNN and NYT, stirring vigorously. Crack open two HuffPo’s and blend. Add liberal amounts of ground MSNBC, pepper with SNL flakes, mix thoroughly. Leave to swell in darkness for several hours, form into several bite-sized gullibles and roast hot under morning joe. Serve with tin foil.

#7 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:00 PM

View Postzurg, on 10 June 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

Combine CNN and NYT, stirring vigorously. Crack open two HuffPo’s and blend. Add liberal amounts of ground MSNBC, pepper with SNL flakes, mix thoroughly. Leave to swell in darkness for several hours, form into several bite-sized gullibles and roast hot under morning joe. Serve with tin foil.

Perfect

#8 User is offline   67Mustang 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Will apparently serve millions.

#9 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:28 PM

View Postzurg, on 10 June 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

Wow! Finally the composition of the stupid disease. Now if we could just find a cure... 😂

(Awesome by the way!)

#10 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

I have no quarrel against bay windows... as long as they're not violating any other building codes, fire codes, electrical codes, etc.

Based on the top photo in the article, back when I was an assistant to a county commissioner and handling building permits, variances, etc., I would almost certainly have recommended against a permit or variance for the one on the right side of the photo as being too close to utility cables. MINIMUM distance for such things in most jurisdictions in 4'6" per the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC). Consider that in the case of a fire, that 3rd floor window may be a "means of egress" and/or a fireman in full gear including an air tank on his back might need to get up a ladder and into the window (and/or carry someone back down) without hitting utility cables. Plus, even in a non-emergency, painters or other tradesmen may need to get up and down in front of the building from time to time. I just don't see 4'6' there. Now, if the cables were sufficiently above the window rather than in front of it, this would still be against NESC but I might've been willing to consider a 'variance'.

https://www.inquirer.com/resizer/TmD0v9Q1KM7Q9h4p8utnXvcbIJo=/1400x932/smart/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-pmn.s3.amazonaws.com/public/4BUSZ3DPHVD6VPZBC6BUWF4OMA.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2qv4hgo.jpg

#11 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 10 June 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

I have no quarrel against bay windows... as long as they're not violating any other building codes, fire codes, electrical codes, etc.

Based on the top photo in the article, back when I was an assistant to a county commissioner and handling building permits, variances, etc., I would almost certainly have recommended against a permit or variance for the one on the right side of the photo as being too close to utility cables. MINIMUM distance for such things in most jurisdictions in 4'6" per the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC). Consider that in the case of a fire, that 3rd floor window may be a "means of egress" and/or a fireman in full gear including an air tank on his back might need to get up a ladder and into the window (and/or carry someone back down) without hitting utility cables. Plus, even in a non-emergency, painters or other tradesmen may need to get up and down in front of the building from time to time. I just don't see 4'6' there. Now, if the cables were sufficiently above the window rather than in front of it, this would still be against NESC but I might've been willing to consider a 'variance'.

https://www.inquirer.com/resizer/TmD0v9Q1KM7Q9h4p8utnXvcbIJo=/1400x932/smart/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-pmn.s3.amazonaws.com/public/4BUSZ3DPHVD6VPZBC6BUWF4OMA.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2qv4hgo.jpg

Same as you, as long as it doesn't violate code. But, let's see how long they like those bay windows on the first floor when they come home after having a few and crack their heads on them.

Oki

#12 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

Umm, I think some of you are missing the point?

The councilperson does not want the poor neighborhood to look like a wealthier neighborhood and possibly attract wealthier people to live there, i.e. gentrification.

gentrification noun
gen·​tri·​fi·​ca·​tion | \ ˌjen-trə-fə-ˈkā-shən
\
Definition of gentrification

: the process of repairing and rebuilding homes and businesses in a deteriorating area (such as an urban neighborhood) accompanied by an influx of middle-class or affluent people and that often results in the displacement of earlier, usually poorer residents a neighborhood undergoing gentrification After a long period of decline, a recent wave of gentrification has sparked a commercial resurgence along the street …— David McAninch … a free rally to "Take Back San Francisco," a daylong event protesting the gentrification of the city's lower-rent districts …

Merriam Webster online

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 10 June 2019 - 03:03 PM

#13 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:10 PM

View PostRock N, on 10 June 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Umm, I think some of you are missing the point?

The councilperson does not want the poor neighborhood to look like a wealthier neighborhood and possibly attract wealthier people to live there, i.e. gentrification.

Merriam Webster online

Bingo!

#14 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:14 PM

The statement from Johnson had nothing to do with stopping gentrification, but rather maintaining the character of the neighborhoods traditional architecture. He might be over stepping his role or looking for graft, but it does not appear to me that he is trying to prevent the neighborhood from getting wealthy residents.

“Some developers are putting bay windows past the property line [and] encroaching on the sidewalk/streets space," Johnson said in the emailed statement. “This practice is inconsistent with the character of many of South Philadelphia’s historic rowhouse blocks, so the legislation is designed to ensure the historical preservation of the facades and character of the residential blocks.”
His legislation, if passed as is, would take effect immediately and would apply across Point Breeze and Grays Ferry. Outside of those designated neighborhood boundaries, all existing rules surrounding balconies and bay windows stand. For example, outside of those neighborhoods, a developer could build a balcony or bay window that extends four feet, but only if that building is set back from its property line.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 10 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

#15 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostLadybird, on 10 June 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

The statement from Johnson had nothing to do with stopping gentrification, but rather maintaining the character of the neighborhoods traditional architecture. He might be over stepping his role or looking for graft, but it does not appear to me that he is trying to prevent the neighborhood from getting wealthy residents.

Here in my city they are doing the same thing in the west end, to purposely keep wealthier (especially white) people from moving into the neighborhood. Some of the council people here have come right out and said it, that they didn't want anyone building and moving in that made more money than any of the other existing residents.

I strongly suspect that this councilperson has this in mind as well, hence why the writer included that word in the article.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 10 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

#16 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostLadybird, on 10 June 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

Funny, this past Saturday we went to a place called House on the Rock. It's near Madison Wisconsin. About a three hour drive from Green Bay. Do you know why it is three hours? Because the last 60 or miles is all single lane roads that where originally farm access roads but have know become major through fares between Madison and all the new Sub Divisions. Crappy cell coverage and every where you look no ATC tower and power line signs all over the place. Crazy how that works, people want progress, money to come in, jobs etc etc etc etc etc etc.

But be damned if they want anything changed to support it all. Point being, just like the roads leading to what the local community want to be a large tourist attract.... if you want people to come, buy, live, spend their money, YOU NEED TO BUILD UP INFRASTRUCTURE TO SUPPORT IT. In this case it means making those buildings desirable to those they want to live there.
The main reason they are putting the pop out windows and extending them in such a fashion is it increases square footage, and that of coarse nets a higher asking price without having to necessarily put a huge amount of money into the place.

Then again the fastest way to keep an elected position is to make sure your constituency stays dependent on Government. That way all you gotta' do is get them a bigger check and not a damn thing else. Not improve the neighborhoods, schools, crime, jobs. Just make sure that check keeps coming. Hell, it's the same game played in other parts of the country. IE mostly poor white trailer parks.

Oki

#17 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

View Postoki, on 10 June 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

Funny, this past Saturday we went to a place called House on the Rock. It's near Madison Wisconsin. About a three hour drive from Green Bay. Do you know why it is three hours? Because the last 60 or miles is all single lane roads that where originally farm access roads but have know become major through fares between Madison and all the new Sub Divisions. Crappy cell coverage and every where you look no ATC tower and power line signs all over the place. Crazy how that works, people want progress, money to come in, jobs etc etc etc etc etc etc.

But be damned if they want anything changed to support it all. Point being, just like the roads leading to what the local community want to be a large tourist attract.... if you want people to come, buy, live, spend their money, YOU NEED TO BUILD UP INFRASTRUCTURE TO SUPPORT IT. In this case it means making those buildings desirable to those they want to live there.
The main reason they are putting the pop out windows and extending them in such a fashion is it increases square footage, and that of coarse nets a higher asking price without having to necessarily put a huge amount of money into the place.

Then again the fastest way to keep an elected position is to make sure your constituency stays dependent on Government. That way all you gotta' do is get them a bigger check and not a damn thing else. Not improve the neighborhoods, schools, crime, jobs. Just make sure that check keeps coming. Hell, it's the same game played in other parts of the country. IE mostly poor white trailer parks.

Oki

Off topic a bit but I grew up in MN. What did you think of house on the rock? Last time I was home with the wife to MN we detoured and went to door county before coming back to Texas. I buy the road side oddities books or the wierd MN, Wisconsin what ever state we are vacationing. Basically she has to endure Clark grizwald. That trip she had to see the spam museum in MN, the biggest beer can in Wisconsin, troll highway in Wisconsin and she said the house on the rock was the last straw. I remembered it being amazing to me at 10 yrs old. All she could do was keep laughing and saying look even in your wierd Wisconsin oddities book it says “ world biggest barn of crapola.”. I still liked it though

This post has been edited by Squirrel: 10 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

#18 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

View PostRock N, on 10 June 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

Here in my city they are doing the same thing in the west end, to purposely keep wealthier (especially white) people from moving into the neighborhood. Some of the council people here have come right out and said it, that they didn't want anyone building and moving in that made more money than any of the other existing residents.

I strongly suspect that this councilperson has this in mind as well, hence why the writer included that word in the article.

Ah. So politicians segregating people by race and socioeconomic status. I am surprised that no one has thought of this before... or complained about it. 🤔

#19 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

View PostConfessor, on 10 June 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Have you seen stacey abrams?

#20 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:59 PM

View PostRock N, on 10 June 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

But that's not what the article said. It quoted other people about gentrification and gave the authors observations on the changes in the neighborhood, but there's no evidence the councilman's reason for this window regulation are grounded in some desire for racial segregation to "keep it real" as you say.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users