RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Over-the-Counter Contraception Is Immensely Popular. But Democrats Hav - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Over-the-Counter Contraception Is Immensely Popular. But Democrats Hav Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

Over-the-Counter Contraception Is Immensely Popular. But Democrats Have Doomed It.

ELIZABETH NOLAN BROWN
Reason
1/16/19

EXCERPT:

If you live in the United States, you can't obtain birth control pills without a prescription from a doctor. This federal requirement means that the roughly 10.6 million American women on oral contraception must accept regular, invasive, and unnecessary medical care as part of preventing pregnancy.

When the pill first came to the U.S. in 1960, such prescription-only status made some sense. Medical professionals were uncertain how many women would react physiologically. And hormone levels in the first commercially available brand were incredibly high—10,000 micrograms progestin and 50–150 micrograms estrogen, compared to 50–150 micrograms progestin and 20–50 micrograms estrogen on average recently.

But in the nearly 60 years since then, pill formulations have become at least as benign as your average drugstore-aisle offering. Decades of research favors the idea that over-the-counter (OTC) oral contraceptives are safe. They're sold without a prescription in nations across the world, and high-dose emergency contraception has been sold over-the-counter in the U.S. for years. Safety isn't the issue.

Nor is there an obvious political impediment. Republicans believe (at least sporadically) in individual rights and deregulation, and a number of GOP lawmakers have recently supported ending the prescription requirement. Democrats often wax on about a woman's right to take control of her reproductive destiny, and in the past many have pushed for freeing the pill, too. So legalizing OTC contraception should represent common policy ground.

Yet the prescription requirement remains on the books. Why?

For years, blame could be cast on the traditional villains of progressive politics: social conservatives who opposed the pill, the Bible thumpers in the Republican Party who pandered to them, and drug companies with no incentive to do anything that might puncture their profits.

But recently, thanks to Obamacare, Democrats have become the primary impediment to freeing up rules around the sale of contraception. In 2019, it's liberals, not conservatives, who are holding the pill hostage for political gain.

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

Imagine that. . .

#3 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

There’s one thing, admittedly controversial. Several studies have found a weak link between hormonal contraceptives and some cancers, especially breast cancer. I’m guessing because of this legal issues override people’s freedom to self medicate.

#4 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

I'm torn. As a "wowser" and a moralist, I'm not TOO happy with the concept of sticking your outie into someone else's "innie" just to get your rocks off.

It is what it is.

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

I have mixed feelings on not seeing a health professional.

The first time I was given contraceptives (for irregular periods) I was 14. They made me so sick I nearly passed out in the nurses office. After that my doctor did a blood test which showed a naturally elevated estrogen level. Everyone is different.

#6 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostLadybird, on 11 June 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

The first time I was given contraceptives (for irregular periods) I was 14. They made me so sick I nearly passed out in the nurses office. After that my doctor did a blood test which showed a naturally elevated estrogen level. Everyone is different.

Hormonal treatments should be administered carefully. Hormones are extremely potent substances, as hopefully everyone knows. Most of the focus is on women because of their birth control, and to some extent menstrual control, and definitely menopausal help. But guys can’t just walk into CVS or Walgreens and get their OTC testosterone injections....or growth hormone.... some health care professionals are getting into trouble with the law for overprescribing these.

This post has been edited by zurg: 11 June 2019 - 04:39 PM

#7 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

Most abortion clinics do not have the same standards as a general practitioner's office. Under newly passed New York and Illinois laws, the consultant does not have to be a licensed medical professional.

One would think that for the sake of women's health that an abortion would be surgical and sterile. No back alleys except here we are with Kermit Gosnell with pickled shears and a prominent member of Planned Parenthood bragging about selling baby parts so she can buy sports cars on camera.

Keeping abortion legal at the same time denying access to the pill. Occupy Wall Street all the way back to the first Woodstock and before then. Rape and control. The Handmaiden's Tale.

#8 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostLadybird, on 11 June 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

I'm skeptical of ANYTHING that messes with hormones; I'm not convinced we know everything that needs to be known. Besides, "The pill" may prevent pregnancy but doesn't prevent everything else that can arise from the same act (In EITHER direction). Certain latex products would seem far superior.

Problem was, in Indiana of the '70s, those latex products were "over the counter" in the sense that they were BEHIND the counter until you asked the pharmacist to hand them OVER the counter. LOL. Imagine being a 14/15/16 YO boy. Or, one could ride a bicycle several miles away to the Blue and White Truck stop in Monrovia IN at I-70/SR-39 and put a quarter in the machine in the men's room, and then on the way out encounter any number of "Lot Lizards" who would offer to help you make use of said product... but for a fee significantly greater than the $1,25/wk "allowance" I was getting at the time.

$1.25 "allowance"? I "saved" the .25 and lived on the $1. Our high school was an "open campus"; you could go in/out at lunchtime. Twice a week I'k walk to the local IGA and buy a can of "Beach cliff fish Steaks: for 50c then swipe some packets of crackers from the cafeteria to go along.

The .25 I saved per week? Eventually bought a K-tel record (on sale) with KC and the sunshine band so I could play it whenever. Which also included Silver Convention's, 'Fly Robin Fly' for which the songwriter was WAAAY overpaid. LOL

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users