RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Dem Committees Win New Powers To Investigate Trump - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Dem Committees Win New Powers To Investigate Trump Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

  • ***-----------***
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 51,333
  • Joined: 28-February 03

  Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Dem Committees Win New Powers To Investigate Trump

The Hill
By Mike Lillis
06/11/19 04:26 PM EDT

Excerpt:

The House voted Tuesday to grant new legal powers to a key committee investigating the Trump administration, handing Democrats another tool in their battle to bore deeper into Robert Mueller's report on Russia's election meddling and potential obstruction by President Trump.

The 229-191 vote broke down strictly along partisan lines with no defectors from either party, highlighting the entrenched divisions on Capitol Hill between Democrats accusing Trump of conducting a "cover-up" related to Mueller's findings, and Republicans fighting to protect their White House ally from what they consider a political "witch hunt" heading into 2020.

The resolution empowers the House Judiciary Committee to go before a federal court in seeking the Department of Justice's (DOJ) compliance with subpoenas for disputed materials and witness testimony. Two figures are named explicitly in the text: Attorney General William Barr, who has refused to release some parts of Mueller's report and the underlying documents; and Don McGhan, the former White House counsel who has defied a Democratic subpoena to appear before the committee.

But in a late-debate twist, Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) announced Monday that he's reached a deal with DOJ officials to access "Mueller's most important files."

The surprise 11th-hour agreement has tempered some of the long-running tensions between Democrats and the administration. And leading up to the vote on Tuesday, Democratic leaders simultaneously hailed the resolution as a necessary and aggressive expansion of their constitutional oversight powers, while also suggesting they might not ever need to use it.

"The timeline will, in part, depend on whether the DOJ continues to cooperate with our legitimate Article I powers of oversight and investigation," said Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), chairman of the Democratic Caucus.

"If they continue to cooperate with us, I would expect that we will not race to the courthouse."

That appeasement does not extend, however, to McGahn. And Democrats are suggesting they'll use the new legal powers provided by Tuesday's resolution to go after the former White House counsel in the not too distant future.

"Seems to me that Mr. McGahn is in a particularly vulnerable situation as a private citizen," Jeffries said. "He should either begin to cooperate immediately, or face the consequences."

The vote comes as a growing number of liberal Democrats are endorsing the launch of an impeachment inquiry targeting Trump — a move opposed by Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other top Democrats, who have political concerns about taking such a drastic step without a greater show of public support.

*snip*

Full Story
0

#2 User is offline   mjperry51 

  • My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 12,120
  • Joined: 13-September 03

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Odds are the released documents will have no "evidence" to support the Democrat wet dreams. . . .
0

#3 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 14,251
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

Dems win new powers in their ongoing coup attempt.
0

#4 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 17,103
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

Naught from naught is naught, right Nadler?
0

#5 User is offline   GrimV 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,770
  • Joined: 08-May 06

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

As a proud NeverTrumper, I have to admit these neverending schemes are totally NOT turning Trump into a sympathetic character.

And by that I mean, the Left's neverending stupidity accomplished the impossible: turning Trump into a sympathetic character.
0

#6 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 36,039
  • Joined: 13-January 04

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

'Win'?
0

#7 User is offline   Coach 

  • Coach
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 14,858
  • Joined: 17-November 03

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

Nadler, Hakeem and company can trash the Constitution all they like until they get squashed by Barr. I know it's depressing but keep the faith the cavalry will get here.
0

#8 User is offline   AntonToo 

  • <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor
  • Posts: 15,404
  • Joined: 28-September 04

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:08 PM

View PostGrimV, on 12 June 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

As a proud NeverTrumper, I have to admit these neverending schemes are totally NOT turning Trump into a sympathetic character.

And by that I mean, the Left's neverending stupidity accomplished the impossible: turning Trump into a sympathetic character.


Well you sure aren't very good at NeverTrumping.


Barr and Trump are OBSTRUCTING CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATION by ILLEGALLY refusing testimonies Congress demands. Why aren't you talking against that?


From the article:


The resolution empowers the House Judiciary Committee to go before a federal court in seeking the Department of Justice's (DOJ) compliance with subpoenas for disputed materials and witness testimony. - what is so objectionable about that?

The "new power" Congress is seeking is to have the ACTUALL power to get the testinonies they issued the subpena for, within reasonable timeframe. Currently enforcing subpenas can take years, making them effectively useless.

This post has been edited by AntonToo: 12 June 2019 - 12:08 PM

0

#9 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,088
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

View PostLiz, on 12 June 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

The House voted Tuesday to grant new legal powers to a key committee investigating the Trump administration, handing Democrats another tool in their battle to bore deeper into Robert Mueller's report on Russia's election meddling and potential obstruction by President Trump.

The 229-191 vote broke down strictly along partisan lines with no defectors from either party, highlighting the entrenched divisions on Capitol Hill between Democrats accusing Trump of conducting a "cover-up" related to Mueller's findings, and Republicans fighting to protect their White House ally from what they consider a political "witch hunt" heading into 2020.


Well, the house dems can vote themselves anything they want, and then they can go piss up a rope...the rope that's labelled "separation of powers". The same rope that will hang them in '20 for pissing away four years.
0

#10 User is offline   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,294
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

View PostAntonToo, on 12 June 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Well you sure aren't very good at NeverTrumping.


Barr and Trump are OBSTRUCTING CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATION by ILLEGALLY refusing testimonies Congress demands. Why aren't you talking against that?


From the article:


The resolution empowers the House Judiciary Committee to go before a federal court in seeking the Department of Justice's (DOJ) compliance with subpoenas for disputed materials and witness testimony. - what is so objectionable about that?

The "new power" Congress is seeking is to have the ACTUALL power to get the testinonies they issued the subpena for, within reasonable timeframe. Currently enforcing subpenas can take years, making them effectively useless.

Yes, the Obama DoJ was subject to subpoenas and contempt rulings - and they did nothing. No information on FF etc etc. Back then you were all for them to obstruct the republican majority. Now you’re all for making new laws to force compliance with subpoenas. Wonder how that flip flop happened?

Then there’s the little thing called existing law. Barr has not been able to share redacted information because current law doesn’t allow it to be shared. Did you miss that? Or will there be another new law that you’ll be in favor of overriding current law?

What if GOP takes the house in 2020? You’ll suddenly be hollering about the great abuses by the house to go after democrat operatives, even if all they do is follow law established by their predecessors. You’ll especially lose your mind if the new GOP house goes after private citizens (like this new law will apparently allow them to do). You’ll be screaming your head off in Antifa and LQBTYGDEGFKHG rallies about it! (Remember the nuclear option by Harry Reid?)
0

#11 User is offline   GrimV 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,770
  • Joined: 08-May 06

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

View PostAntonToo, on 12 June 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Well you sure aren't very good at NeverTrumping.


Barr and Trump are OBSTRUCTING CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATION by ILLEGALLY refusing testimonies Congress demands. Why aren't you talking against that?


From the article:


The resolution empowers the House Judiciary Committee to go before a federal court in seeking the Department of Justice's (DOJ) compliance with subpoenas for disputed materials and witness testimony. - what is so objectionable about that?

The "new power" Congress is seeking is to have the ACTUALL power to get the testinonies they issued the subpena for, within reasonable timeframe. Currently enforcing subpenas can take years, making them effectively useless.


You've totally convinced me Anton. Trump is no longer a sympathetic character. Hopefully I've returned to your good graces.

Of course, the smart thing to do is give up on these impeachment dreams and focus energy on the next election. But I suspect myopic Lefties will continue the impossible: turning Trump into a sympathetic character.
0

#12 User is offline   NH Populist 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 1,431
  • Joined: 30-April 18

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostGrimV, on 12 June 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

You've totally convinced me Anton. Trump is no longer a sympathetic character. Hopefully I've returned to your good graces.

Actually, Anton qualifies as sympathetic character himself, poor thing sat on the edge of his seat for 2.5 years, waiting for Mueller to deliver the goods on Trump. Now he's like a dog digging in the back yard looking for the bone he knows is buried there. Mueller threw it too him when he left, now Anton and his buddie Nadler just have to find it... :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by NH Populist: 12 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

0

#13 User is offline   AntonToo 

  • <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor
  • Posts: 15,404
  • Joined: 28-September 04

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

^Everything is about some feely-touchy personal bs.

Meanwhile no one seems to be able to put togather a coherent objection to Congress bolstering it's ability to compel testinomy and evidence - a Constitutional power Congress was clearly granted.
0

#14 User is offline   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,294
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

View PostAntonToo, on 12 June 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

^Everything is about some feely-touchy personal bs.

Meanwhile no one seems to be able to put togather a coherent objection to Congress bolstering it's ability to compel testinomy and evidence - a Constitutional power Congress was clearly granted.

I guess you have me on ignore. Or you’re otherwise deficient in your observational capacity.
0

#15 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,330
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

Quote

But in a late-debate twist, Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) announced Monday that he's reached a deal with DOJ officials to access "Mueller's most important files."


https://img.thrfun.com/img/005/466/fly_paper_hanging_s.jpg
0

#16 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 5,481
  • Joined: 05-June 15

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

View Postmjperry51, on 12 June 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

Odds are the released documents will have no "evidence" to support the Democrat wet dreams. . . .


:exactly:

View PostAntonToo, on 12 June 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

^Everything is about some feely-touchy personal bs.

Meanwhile no one seems to be able to put togather a coherent objection to Congress bolstering it's ability to compel testinomy and evidence - a Constitutional power Congress was clearly granted.


:rolleyes:

:yawn:

View PostNH Populist, on 12 June 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Actually, Anton qualifies as sympathetic character himself, poor thing sat on the edge of his seat for 2.5 years, waiting for Mueller to deliver the goods on Trump. Now he's like a dog digging in the back yard looking for the bone he knows is buried there. Mueller threw it too him when he left, now Anton and his buddie Nadler just have to find it... :rolleyes:


:yes:

View PostAntonToo, on 12 June 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Well you sure aren't very good at NeverTrumping.


Barr and Trump are OBSTRUCTING CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATION by ILLEGALLY refusing testimonies Congress demands. Why aren't you talking against that?


From the article:


The resolution empowers the House Judiciary Committee to go before a federal court in seeking the Department of Justice's (DOJ) compliance with subpoenas for disputed materials and witness testimony. - what is so objectionable about that?

The "new power" Congress is seeking is to have the ACTUALL power to get the testinonies they issued the subpena for, within reasonable timeframe. Currently enforcing subpenas can take years, making them effectively useless.


You've gone full retard again. NEVER go full retard.

View Postzurg, on 12 June 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

Yes, the Obama DoJ was subject to subpoenas and contempt rulings - and they did nothing. No information on FF etc etc. Back then you were all for them to obstruct the republican majority. Now you’re all for making new laws to force compliance with subpoenas. Wonder how that flip flop happened?

Then there’s the little thing called existing law. Barr has not been able to share redacted information because current law doesn’t allow it to be shared. Did you miss that? Or will there be another new law that you’ll be in favor of overriding current law?

What if GOP takes the house in 2020? You’ll suddenly be hollering about the great abuses by the house to go after democrat operatives, even if all they do is follow law established by their predecessors. You’ll especially lose your mind if the new GOP house goes after private citizens (like this new law will apparently allow them to do). You’ll be screaming your head off in Antifa and LQBTYGDEGFKHG rallies about it! (Remember the nuclear option by Harry Reid?)


:yes:
0

#17 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 17,103
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

View PostAntonToo, on 12 June 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Well you sure aren't very good at NeverTrumping.


Barr and Trump are OBSTRUCTING CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATION by ILLEGALLY refusing testimonies Congress demands. Why aren't you talking against that?


From the article:


The resolution empowers the House Judiciary Committee to go before a federal court in seeking the Department of Justice's (DOJ) compliance with subpoenas for disputed materials and witness testimony. - what is so objectionable about that?

The "new power" Congress is seeking is to have the ACTUALL power to get the testinonies they issued the subpena for, within reasonable timeframe. Currently enforcing subpenas can take years, making them effectively useless.

New talking points, komrade, or are you still immersed head first in the paint bucket?

Nothing, Anton. You’ve got nothing.

YOU would almost be a sympathetic character, but you stopped at pathetic, instead.

This post has been edited by Noclevermoniker: 12 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

0

#18 User is offline   GrimV 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,770
  • Joined: 08-May 06

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

View PostAntonToo, on 12 June 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

^Everything is about some feely-touchy personal bs.

Meanwhile no one seems to be able to put togather a coherent objection to Congress bolstering it's ability to compel testinomy and evidence - a Constitutional power Congress was clearly granted.


Obama Official Won’t Testify to Congress

Welcome to the world Democrats created, hypocrite.

You fed it, now eat it.
0

#19 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

  • Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,291
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:05 PM

Quote

"If they continue to cooperate with us, I would expect that we will not race to the courthouse."

Well if THAT ain't an extortion threat, I don't know what is.
0

#20 User is offline   Howsithangin 

  • The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 27,819
  • Joined: 07-March 08

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

View PostLiz, on 12 June 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

"Seems to me that Mr. McGahn is in a particularly vulnerable situation as a private citizen," Jeffries said. "He should either begin to cooperate immediately, or face the consequences."


Sounds like the Stasi, SS or the KGB
0

Share this topic:


  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users