RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Scientists discovered a mushroom that eats plastic - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scientists discovered a mushroom that eats plastic and believe it could clean our landfills. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Scientists discovered a mushroom that eats plastic, and believe it could clean our landfills.
Mark Shrayber
Upworthy.com

<More Here>

Plastic waste is one of the biggest environmental issues of our time. And while a straw ban is not the way we're going to solve it here's why people everywhere are looking for ways to reduce plastic use and mitigate the effects of waste.

From handing out plastic bags with embarrassing labels to removing the plastic from six-packs to harnessing the power of a plastic-eating mutant (bacteria), more and more of us are working to find solutions to a growing global program.

Add one more strange and awesome plastic-killing discover to the list: A rare mushroom that feasts on plastic the same way you or I would when we go to that $5 buffet at Cici's. (I have been only once and I'm still thinking about it, even though just the thoughts are bad for my blood pressure.)

According to reports, the mushroom's plastic-devouring properties were first discovered in 2011, when a team of Yale undergraduates and their professor traveled to Ecuador for a research trip. They found the mushroom Pestalotiopsis microspora in the amazon and were astounded to find that the fungus not only subsists on polyurethane (it's the first plant to sustain itself only on plastic), but could do so without oxygen.

That means it could be planted at the bottom of landfills and happily eat its fill of plastic for eons to come! (Just like us at Cici's pizza!

Despite our best efforts at increasing conservation and reducing waste, the U.S. continues to produce more plastic waste each year, while other recent studies suggest that recycling of plastic waste is actually declining.

The amount of plastic waste that we're producing is estimated to rise 3.8% each year, with an estimated 40 million tons of plastic waste expected to be generated in 2019 alone by American companies and consumers. National Geographic says that over the past 60 years, we've created an estimated 8.3 billion metric tons of plastic waste. An astonishing 83.7% of that waste is expected to end up in landfills. Anything we can do to put a dent into the damage we're creating could make a world of difference for us and the planet.

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:40 AM

Between this and plastic made from hemp, maybe we can finally start reducing the amount of plastic piling up everywhere.

#3 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:52 AM

People eat plastic too. It's called margarine...

#4 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:57 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 09 July 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

And Subway sammiches.

#5 User is offline   ScottZ 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:37 AM

https://www.goodread.../86452.Ill_Wind

#6 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

For God's sake, keep it away from Pamela Anderson!!1

#7 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:04 AM

Just wait until it discovers how "tasty" human beings are...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/The_Blob_%281958%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

#8 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

So plastic crap gets replaced by mushroom crap? Is that good? Who digests the mushroom?

This post has been edited by zurg: 09 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

#9 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

View Postzurg, on 09 July 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

So plastic crap gets replaced by mushroom crap? Is that good? Who digests the mushroom?

Godzirra!!!

#10 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

Customers at Cici's. . .

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:33 PM

Dopers

#12 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

I'm aware that not all mushrooms are edible. And I'm also aware that there are plenty of people who hate mushrooms even when they are edible. But I'm not one of them. I love mushrooms. If these are edible mushrooms, I'll help digest them!

:yes:

#13 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 09 July 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

View PostMTP Reggie, on 09 July 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

:D

#14 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 09 July 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm aware that not all mushrooms are edible. And I'm also aware that there are plenty of people who hate mushrooms even when they are edible. But I'm not one of them. I love mushrooms. If these are edible mushrooms, I'll help digest them!

:yes:

One of my favorite dishes served back in the PA/MD area are Crab Imperial-Stuffed Grilled Portobello Mushrooms. Died & went to heaven, nom nom nom

#15 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 09 July 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

One of my favorite dishes served back in the PA/MD area are Crab Imperial-Stuffed Grilled Portobello Mushrooms. Died & went to heaven, nom nom nom

Mmmmmm...Sounds scrumptious.

:tongue:

#16 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:00 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 09 July 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

It's also in most of the bread that you buy in the store too. This has been revealed 6 years ago, so it's nothing new.

Look at the label for anything that says "dough conditioner" or azodicarbonamide.

Most fast food places also use it in all of their bread products, so it wasn't just Subway.

It's a plasticizer used to make sponge rubber such as in yoga mats. It was never intended to be a food additive nor approved to be one, yet the chemical companies who make it sold it to the food industry as if it were a safe edible product.

You won't find many brands of bread that does not have it in it.

It's a much smaller list to find those that do not.

Pepperidge Farm doesn't use it. Ball Park Frank branded buns does not. Arnold bread does not. Johnsonville brat buns do not.

Read the labels of any bread that you buy or eat for this plasticizer. I always do.

Every one of these bastards who've used it in their food products deserves to be sued into oblivion.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 10 July 2019 - 12:03 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users