RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Ocasio-Cortez, Harris Team Up For Bill Aimed At Helping Criminals Get - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ocasio-Cortez, Harris Team Up For Bill Aimed At Helping Criminals Get Housing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

Ocasio-Cortez, Harris Team Up For Bill Aimed At Helping Criminals Get Housing

New York Post
By Yaron Steinbuch
July 10, 2019 | 8:24am

Excerpt:

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Kamala Harris are joining forces on legislation aimed at making it easier for people with criminal records to obtain federal housing assistance.

The bill — dubbed the Fair Chance at Housing Act — would prevent tenants from being evicted after one incident of criminal activity and because of the activities of guests, according to The Hill.

“Too many people become involved in our criminal justice system and serve their time only to return home to face additional barriers to employment, education, and housing,” Harris said in a statement.

“By requiring a higher standard of evidence and a more holistic review process, we are taking a significant step toward giving Americans a fair chance to succeed,” the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate from California added.

Ocasio-Cortez said that “denying housing to those that have been formerly incarcerated increases recidivism. Today we are taking a step to make our communities safer.”

In addition to making it easier for ex-cons to get housing, the bill also would restrict when drug and alcohol tests can be used, as well as authorize $10 million in funding for homeless service providers.

The bill also would require that people who are evicted or blocked from getting housing due to criminal activity are given “adequate written notice” and the ability to appeal the decision.

Certain convictions, including drug offenses leading to sentences under10 years — or where the offenses are related to “fees or back payments associated with incarceration” — could no longer prevent a perrson from seeking federal housing assistance, CBS News reported.

The legislation is only the second bill to be introduced by the freshman Ocasio-Cortez, the New York progressive darling who has praised Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, two of Harris’ main rivals in the 2020 presidential race.

“What I’d like to see in a presidential candidate is one that has a coherent worldview and logic from which all these policy proposals are coming forward,” Ocasio-Cortez said in May. “I think Sen. Sanders has that. I also think Sen. Warren has that.”

*snip*

Full Article

#2 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

Sometimes it seems like progressives are trying to eliminate the negative consequences of committing a crime. If progressives had their way, being convicted of a crime would qualify a person for so many entitlements that some people might consider crime a great career move.

#3 User is offline   Liz 

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 10 July 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

Sometimes it seems like progressives are trying to eliminate the negative consequences of committing a crime. If progressives had their way, being convicted of a crime would qualify a person for so many entitlements that some people might consider crime a great career move.

I'd like to say that's crazy but in a twisted way, it explains so much. :P

#4 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:55 AM

Quantity of rental properties being reduced in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

Ability of democrats to see past first order effects in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

#5 User is offline   Liz 

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 10 July 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

Quantity of rental properties being reduced in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

Ability of democrats to see past first order effects in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

Democrats must be perpetually surprised. At least it keeps things fresh.

#6 User is offline   Alexis 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:58 AM

I think these two should lead the way. Set an example. Each of them should take in at least a few people. Get their cronies to do the same.

#7 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

Dumb and dumber, playing tag team.

Alexis, on 10 July 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

I think these two should lead the way. Set an example. Each of them should take in at least a few people. Get their cronies to do the same.

:yes:

#8 User is online   USNJIMRET 

• Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:24 AM

Given how often prosecutor's at all levels plea bargain down charges........how many serious criminals will suddenly be eligible for ''help''?
And as for the line "give Americans a fair chance to succeed"... everyone has that chance just by being American, or even just IN America.
When they throw that chance away by criminal activities, why is it the role of NOT criminal Americans to provide yet another chance?

#9 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:39 PM

Democraps just LOVE criminals because they LOVE EVIL and HATE INNOCENCE.

They always prefer them over everyone else and want all of us law abiding working class to pay for everything that they do or want and that we ought to feel honored to be their victims.

#10 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

Looks like another attribute that you will not be allowed to discriminate against some time in the near future. One day, if you have a home/apt for rent or sale you will not have any say whatsoever in who gets it, and no say in what that does to your risk of damage or forclosure. I wonder if the guys selling insurance will not be allowed to raise rates because now the property is at greater risk than it once was?

#11 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

View PostLiz, on 10 July 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

The bill — dubbed the Fair Chance at Housing Act — would prevent tenants from being evicted after one incident of criminal activity and because of the activities of guests, according to The Hill.

“Too many people become involved in our criminal justice system and serve their time only to return home to face additional barriers to employment, education, and housing,” Harris said in a statement.

“By requiring a higher standard of evidence and a more holistic review process, we are taking a significant step toward giving Americans a fair chance to succeed,” the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate from California added.

It seems like there are two different issues here.

Once someone has "paid their debt to society", I see no reason to use that to deny them housing... AS LONG AS the crime in question was not related to housing. Obviously, I wouldn't want someone convicted of burglary/robbery/auto theft/sex crimes/etc living in the same apartment complex as me; landlord SHOULD be able to discriminate... IF it's relevant. But if the crime ISN'T relevant? Such as, say, non-violent white collar stuff such as fraud/embezzlement, tearing tags off of mattresses or even the extremely serious federal offenses of "Using an Aerosol Product in a manner inconsistent with it's labeling" (7 USC § 136 et seq.) or (OMG) "Trespassing on Railroad Property" (49 USC § 20151). Eh, who cares?

BUT... and this is a Big Bertha sized butt... prior crimes are an entirely DIFFERENT animal than committing a new crime once you've been housed and are supposed to be on the straight and narrow. For THOSE people, I have no sympathy; give them a cardboard box to live in and a bus ticket to LA or SFO.

#12 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

View PostUSNJIMRET, on 10 July 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

Given how often prosecutor's at all levels plea bargain down charges........how many serious criminals will suddenly be eligible for ''help''?
And as for the line "give Americans a fair chance to succeed"... everyone has that chance just by being American, or even just IN America.
When they throw that chance away by criminal activities, why is it the role of NOT criminal Americans to provide yet another chance?

Because WAY too many things have been "criminalized".

I think it was Lavrenti Beria under Stalin who once said, "Show me the man, and I'll find you the crime". Or, we could just ask Paul Manafort.

#13 User is online   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

[

This post has been edited by SARGE: 10 July 2019 - 11:20 PM

#14 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

At the 38,000 ft level, isn’t it amazing that these people always are supporting and apologizing to illegals, criminals, and other low-lives, and there are never stories of them helping kids get better math education or entrepreneurs being provided ideas and networking or soldiers being taken care of and provided the health care they need? It’s always to those who hurt society and never to those who help society.

#15 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:39 AM

It's as if the democrats focus on the dregs of society.

#16 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:41 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 10 July 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

I think it was Lavrenti Beria under Stalin who once said, "Show me the man, and I'll find you the crime". Or, we could just ask Paul Manafort.

Who was portrayed superbly by Simon Russel Beale in The Death of Stalin :P

#17 User is offline   Currahee! 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:19 AM

........and what do the VICTIMS of these CONVICTED criminals get?

#18 User is offline   Liz 

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:53 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 July 2019 - 12:39 AM, said:

It's as if the democrats focus on the dregs of society.

"As if" my foot! They're their natural constituents. :P

#19 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

View PostCurrahee!, on 11 July 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

........and what do the VICTIMS of these CONVICTED criminals get?

More crime.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users