RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: FBI arrests ex-Puerto Rico officials for disaster aid-funded payoffs - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FBI arrests ex-Puerto Rico officials for disaster aid-funded payoffs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

FBI arrests ex-Puerto Rico officials for disaster aid-funded payoffs
by Tim Pearce
July 11, 2019 10:04 AM
Washington Examiner

<More Surprise Here>

The FBI has arrested two former Puerto Rico officials for funneling disaster aid payments to politically connected contractors.

The Wednesday arrests have prompted concern on Capitol Hill that the island's corruption will blunt the effectiveness of a recently passed disaster aid bill. Rep. Raúl Grijalva, D-Ariz., has called for Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló's resignation, according to the Washington Post.

The FBI indictment charges Puerto Rico's former Education Secretary Julia Keleher, former Health Insurance Agency Chief Ángela Ávila-Marrero, and four others with crimes related to grifting U.S. disaster aid. Keleher and Ávila-Marrero both served in Rosselló's administration before leaving in April and June, respectively.

Rosselló himself is not under investigation. Grijalva is the chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee, which is overseeing the recovery effort on the island from Hurricane Maria in 2017.

"We've crossed that crucible now," Grijalva said. "The restoration of accountability is so key going forward."

(snip)

<More Surprise Here>

#2 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:47 AM

As I've mentioned before, Puerto Rico first came to my attention decades ago because its economic welfare became a cause celeb in business magazines.

There were lots of Jack Kemp-like enterprise zone, etc., etc. ideas put in place to jump start things.

But as far as I know, everything failed because, dare I speculate about it, lazy, stupid people and endemic corruption were apparently too much of a challenge to overcome.

#3 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

Years ago, I read a book by George Orwell describing his days as a "plonger"(?), i.e., dishwasher, in France after the First World War.

It was a fun read and it mentioned how the kitchen staff kept everything working as well as possible by aggressively going after slackers and pushing them to get their act together and do their fair share.

But today it's kind of "verbotten" to be critical of anyone about anything, like I just was about the lack of success in Puerto Rico.

#4 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:16 PM

If it weren't for Communist Cuba, we would have set Puerto Rico adrift decades ago.

#5 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 12 July 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

If it weren't for Communist Cuba, we would have set Puerto Rico adrift decades ago.

I don't think so.

I read where it was Teddy Roosevelt who wanted the people of Puerto Rico to become U.S. citizens.

So I'd say we're screwed.

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:23 PM

This isn't even the proverbial "tip of the iceberg". This is merely a thimble full of water melting off the tip of the iceberg.

Puerto Rico is arguably second only to Haiti as "Most Corrupt island in the Carribean".

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users