RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Democrats Balk But Senate Confirms Knights Of Columbus Member For - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Democrats Balk But Senate Confirms Knights Of Columbus Member For Judgeship Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:15 AM

Democrats Balk But Senate Confirms Knights Of Columbus Member For Judgeship

PowerLine
by Paul Mirengoff
Posted on July 24, 2019

Excerpt:

The Senate today confirmed Brian Buescher, President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. District Court in Nebraska. Readers may recall that Senate Democrats attacked Buescher for his membership in the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic service organization. I wrote about this here.

Sen. Kamala Harris was one of the Senators who led the charge against Buescher during his Committee hearing. His other main adversary was Sen. Mazie Hirono, one of the Senate’s dimmest members.

Harris isn’t dim, but she’s a hard core leftist and an incorrigible opportunist. Thus, her suggestion that Buescher’s membership in the Knights of Columbus makes him unfit to serve as a federal judge was over-determined.

The argument was that the Knights of Columbus takes the “extreme” position that a marriage is the union of a man and a woman. But, as Ramesh Ponnuru pointed out at the time, Buescher belongs to two other organizations that consider marriage to be the union of a man and woman (and that also are anti-abortion, another of the Knights’ “extreme” positions). The two organizations are the Catholic Church and the Republican Party.

Do Hirono and Harris think that Buescher’s Catholicism raises problems with his nomination? I assume they do, to the extent that Buescher takes Catholic doctrine seriously.

Buescher declined Hirono’s invitation to resign from the Knights of Columbia as a condition of being confirmed. The Senate confirmed him anyway.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:02 AM

Very apt descriptions of Horizontal Harris and Crazy Mazie.

#3 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:20 AM

"During the 1960 presidential campaign, the issue of whether the nation would for the first time elect a Catholic to the highest office in the land raised the specter of an implicit, but no less effective, religious test. John F. Kennedy, in his Address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association on 12 September 1960, addressed the question directly, saying:

[N]either do I look with favor upon those who would work to subvert Article VI of the Constitution by requiring a religious test, even by indirection. For if they disagree with that safeguard, they should be openly working to repeal it.

'. . . [C]ontrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President who happens also to be a Catholic.
I do not speak for my church on public matters; and the church does not speak for me. Whatever issue may come before me as President, if I should be elected, on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject, I will make my decision in accordance with these views – in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be in the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressure or dictates. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise.

But if the time should ever come – and I do not concede any conflict to be remotely possible – when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any other conscientious public servant would do likewise. But I do not intend to apologize for these views to my critics of either Catholic or Protestant faith; nor do I intend to disavow either my views or my church in order to win this election.

If I should lose on the real issues, I shall return to my seat in the Senate, satisfied that I'd tried my best and was fairly judged. But if this election is decided on the basis that 40 million Americans lost their chance of being President on the day they were baptized, then it is the whole nation that will be the loser, in the eyes of Catholics and non-Catholics around the world, in the eyes of history, and in the eyes of our own people.' "

LINK*

*Yes, the link is Wikipedia, but it checks elsewhere

1. Perhaps someone should sent this to Kamala suck-suck and Crazy Mazie;

2. The obligatory: would they have asked this question of membership to a religious organization to a non-Christian. The question is rhetorical, of course.

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 27 July 2019 - 04:21 AM

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

Muslim politicians/judges/whatever, fine, push them to the head of the line (despite the religion's known anti-gay and misogynistic tenets) but a Catholic? Oh noes! They'd rather appoint a follower of Cthulhu who practiced human sacrifice.

#5 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostSeverian, on 27 July 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

Muslim politicians/judges/whatever, fine, push them to the head of the line (despite the religion's known anti-gay and misogynistic tenets) but a Catholic? Oh noes! They'd rather appoint a follower of Cthulhu who practiced human sacrifice.

You left out Muslim with ties to a organization on the terrorist watch list (cair) but then he’d be a senator or congressman and no one would question it

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users