RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Op-Ed: We have studied every mass shooting since 1966. Here’s what we’ - RightNation.US

Op-Ed: We have studied every mass shooting since 1966. Here’s what we’ Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:07 AM

Op-Ed: We have studied every mass shooting since 1966. Here’s what we’ve learned about the shooters

JILLIAN PETERSON AND JAMES DENSLEY
LA Times
8/4/19

EXCERPT:

In the last week, more than 30 people have died in three separate mass shootings in Gilroy, El Paso and Dayton, Ohio. We believe that analyzing and understanding data about who commits such massacres can help prevent more lives being lost.

For two years, we’ve been studying the life histories of mass shooters in the United States for a project funded by the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the U.S. Department of Justice. We’ve built a database dating back to 1966 of every mass shooter who shot and killed four or more people in a public place, and every shooting incident at schools, workplaces, and places of worship since 1999. We’ve interviewed incarcerated perpetrators and their families, shooting survivors and first responders. We’ve read media and social media, manifestos, suicide notes, trial transcripts and medical records.

Our goal has been to find new, data-driven pathways for preventing such shootings. Although we haven’t found that mass shooters are all alike, our data do reveal four commonalities among the perpetrators of nearly all the mass shootings we studied.

First, the vast majority of mass shooters in our study experienced early childhood trauma and exposure to violence at a young age. The nature of their exposure included parental suicide, physical or sexual abuse, neglect, domestic violence, and/or severe bullying. The trauma was often a precursor to mental health concerns, including depression, anxiety, thought disorders or suicidality.

Second, practically every mass shooter we studied had reached an identifiable crisis point in the weeks or months leading up to the shooting. They often had become angry and despondent because of a specific grievance. For workplace shooters, a change in job status was frequently the trigger. For shooters in other contexts, relationship rejection or loss often played a role. Such crises were, in many cases, communicated to others through a marked change in behavior, an expression of suicidal thoughts or plans, or specific threats of violence.

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:46 AM

So they’ve learned nothing that we already didn’t know.

#3 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:51 AM

I heard or read somewhere that during the Obama years there were 9 mass shootings with the loss of 350 people

I don't remember blaming Obama for this...Not the way they're going after President Trump

#4 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:34 AM

Well we learned that our government will spend money to validate already known information. Just like other riveting studies validating that water is wet and the sky is blue.

#5 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

View Postfirecoco, on 06 August 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

I heard or read somewhere that during the Obama years there were 9 mass shootings with the loss of 350 people

I don't remember blaming Obama for this...Not the way they're going after President Trump

And this surprises you? I find it completely consistent with the chicken<censored> media we have.

#6 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

View Postfirecoco, on 06 August 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

Well that's because Obama wanted to git rid of just the bad guns and it was the evil Republicans and Conservatives who stood in his way, so that made it THEIR fault and not his.
Coarse they never talked about how programs such as the promise act left dangerous young people on the street. Fast and Furious or anything else that made him look bad either.
If you didn't agree with yet more restrictions or bans you where part of the problem and the reason innocent people where dying.

#7 User is offline   Coach 

• Coach
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

Sanity on the left disappeared a long time ago and isn't coming back. Where the insanity takes us and how far is anyone's guess. But their current reactions and behavior are not encouraging.

#8 User is offline   usapatriot 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

What isn't mentioned in this study is that EVERY one of the mass shooters in the last 20 years was on some type of psychiatric drug (https://www.naturaln...epressants.html). I guarantee you the researchers of this study also discovered this fact, but due to the vast Big Pharma Complex, not a single mention. I assure you if there were other things in common (other than psychiatric drugs like Ritalin, Prozac, etc.), they would have mentioned it. Over 16 MILLION kids (over 90% of them boys) are on psychiatric drugs. These psychiatric drugs are horrible and Big Pharma needs to be sued to stop them from selling these highly defective and dangerous drugs.

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

View Postusapatriot, on 06 August 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

What isn't mentioned in this study is that EVERY one of the mass shooters in the last 20 years was on some type of psychiatric drug (https://www.naturaln...epressants.html). I guarantee you the researchers of this study also discovered this fact, but due to the vast Big Pharma Complex, not a single mention. I assure you if there were other things in common (other than psychiatric drugs like Ritalin, Prozac, etc.), they would have mentioned it. Over 16 MILLION kids (over 90% of them boys) are on psychiatric drugs. These psychiatric drugs are horrible and Big Pharma needs to be sued to stop them from selling these highly defective and dangerous drugs.

Add in the culpability of teachers, schools and even doctors who are usually the ones who recommend and even strong arm parents into getting their kids on it.
Know, that at least a generation has passed many parents where or are also on the crap as well.

To anyone who doubts this, just watch a few hours of prime time, pick up a couple magazines and see who some of the biggest advertisers are.
Publishers and networks are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

#10 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

I didn't read any further than the information posted in the original post and I have been through both Items 1 & 2 and I have never contemplated or attempted a mass shooting.

So, now what?

#11 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

I disagree strongly about "EVERY one". However, I would agree with "Overwhelming Majority".

But, what exactly does that mean? A kid on psychotropic meds is obviously, by definition, a kid with "problems". So is it the meds that caused the kid to become a shooter, or the underlying "problems" that the kid was on the meds for? I dunno. I just don't want to be too hasty in blaming the cart rather than the horse.

Heard Erick Erickson on his show this afternoon quoting a study that showed that 9 out of 10 grew up in a home without a father present.

I do believe that these two things are probably the TWO biggest single major factors in all this.

#12 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 06 August 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

I didn't read any further than the information posted in the original post and I have been through both Items 1 & 2 and I have never contemplated or attempted a mass shooting.

So, now what?

Similar here. Spent most of 3rd, 4th, 5th grade zonked on Ritalin after being diagnosed as "Hyperactive" (Now call ADD or ADHD). What they didn't know at the time was that it was likely what would now be called PTSD (The term wasn't yet coined in the '60s/'70s) from physical/sexual abuse.

Go ahead, y'all, look up the "warning signs of childhood sexual abuse" such as here. Most will include as one of the signs:

"Problems at school – an abused child may have difficulty concentrating and learning, and their grades may start to drop."

Hence, "Hyperactive". Could those little yellow pills "fix" me? No. At best it masked it. For a while. Late teens and '20s I was what Billy Joel sang about in "The Angry Young Man". and probably says a lot about my "Bar fighting" days.

Funny thing, though: I never once contemplated a "Mass Shooting". It just never occurred to me. CLOSEST I ever came to even THINKING about it was just after the Va Tech shooting in the early '00s, I remember thinking, Jeez what an idiot, I could have taken out twice as many. But that was really more about 'tactics' than 'desire'.

#13 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:47 PM

View Poststick, on 06 August 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

And this surprises you? I find it completely consistent with the chicken<censored> media we have.

They're far worse than chicken shidts, they're outright evil and Satanic with all of their lying and deviancy.

#14 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

Because the big powerful big pharma would sue the crap out of anyone who dares mention the truth about their poisonous products. The media believes that the medical industry and doctors are never fallible and are Gods.

View Postoki, on 06 August 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Add in the culpability of teachers, schools and even doctors who are usually the ones who recommend and even strong arm parents into getting their kids on it.
Know, that at least a generation has passed many parents where or are also on the crap as well.

To anyone who doubts this, just watch a few hours of prime time, pick up a couple magazines and see who some of the biggest advertisers are.
Publishers and networks are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

:exactly:

#15 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:53 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 August 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

I disagree strongly about "EVERY one". However, I would agree with "Overwhelming Majority".

But, what exactly does that mean? A kid on psychotropic meds is obviously, by definition, a kid with "problems". So is it the meds that caused the kid to become a shooter, or the underlying "problems" that the kid was on the meds for? I dunno. I just don't want to be too hasty in blaming the cart rather than the horse.

Heard Erick Erickson on his show this afternoon quoting a study that showed that 9 out of 10 grew up in a home without a father present.

I do believe that these two things are probably the TWO biggest single major factors in all this.

Sure you do.

You're always on the opposite side of most issues here, the side that is WRONG.

#16 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:07 AM

Study: Media Fascination With Mass Shooters is Creating More Mass Shooters

Providing killers with ghastly fame they crave is incentivizing future massacres.

Paul Joseph Watson | Infowars.com - August 6, 2019

An exhaustive study which collected data from every mass shooting in America since 1966 found that the news media’s fascination with mass shooters is creating more mass shooters.

In the aftermath of tragic events like this past weekend’s two massacres, some commentators have called for the killers to be starved of the ghastly fame they crave and for the media not to reveal their names or identities.

The validity of that position has been bolstered by new research conducted by Jillian Peters and James Densley which was funded by the U.S. Department of Justice.

Tasked with preventing more mass shootings, the researchers discovered “four commonalities among the perpetrators of nearly all the mass shootings we studied.”

One of the those patterns is that mass shooters are partly inspired by studying the actions of previous mass shooters. In other words, the media’s obsession with reporting every facet of every mass shooting is enabling future mass shooters.

“In the age of 24-hour rolling news and social media, there are scripts to follow that promise notoriety in death. Societal fear and fascination with mass shootings partly drives the motivation to commit them,” write Peters and Densley.

This is why mass shootings tend to come in clusters, because as the researchers note, “They are socially contagious. Perpetrators study other perpetrators and model their acts after previous shootings.”

Peters and Densley advise that one potential solution to preventing future mass shootings is not to share the details of manifestos left behind by the perpetrators.

This is likely to be a difficult task for the media since they poured over the El Paso’s shooter’s manifesto in an effort to blame his actions on President Trump despite the shooter himself asserting he was not radicalized by Trump.

<snip>

#17 User is offline   usapatriot 

• <no title>

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 August 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

Every mass shooter in the past 20 years that the researchers were able to determine if they were on psychiatric drugs were on psychiatric drugs. They were not able to determine that conclusively for every mass shooter because that data was not available. The researchers did obtain this information for the vast majority of mass shooters, so it is not a stretch to conclude that all of them were on psychiatric drugs if the data was available.

Of course being on psychiatric drugs does not automatically mean someone will turn into a mass shooter. If that was the case, there would be thousands of mass shootings every day since there are 16 MILLION kids on these psychiatric drugs. Obviously, it is an extremely strong contributing factor, but underlying problems had to be present prior to the psychiatrist prescribing psychiatric drugs to address the problems. The problem is that psychiatric drugs are at best just "treating" the symptoms of a problem. The root cause of the problem(s) need to be addressed and resolved, not hidden via the use of psychiatric drugs.

Bottom line, yes of course there has to be some underlying problems in the mass shooters history, but the TRIGGER to go from someone with problems to a mass shooter is psychiatric drugs. Without psychiatric drugs, mass shootings would be extremely rare (there will always be a nut-case out there who is pure evil that will do this without psychiatric drugs).

This post has been edited by usapatriot: 07 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

#18 User is offline   usapatriot 

• <no title>

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 August 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

Similar here. Spent most of 3rd, 4th, 5th grade zonked on Ritalin after being diagnosed as "Hyperactive" (Now call ADD or ADHD). What they didn't know at the time was that it was likely what would now be called PTSD (The term wasn't yet coined in the '60s/'70s) from physical/sexual abuse.

Go ahead, y'all, look up the "warning signs of childhood sexual abuse" such as here. Most will include as one of the signs:

"Problems at school – an abused child may have difficulty concentrating and learning, and their grades may start to drop."

Hence, "Hyperactive". Could those little yellow pills "fix" me? No. At best it masked it. For a while. Late teens and '20s I was what Billy Joel sang about in "The Angry Young Man". and probably says a lot about my "Bar fighting" days.

Funny thing, though: I never once contemplated a "Mass Shooting". It just never occurred to me. CLOSEST I ever came to even THINKING about it was just after the Va Tech shooting in the early '00s, I remember thinking, Jeez what an idiot, I could have taken out twice as many. But that was really more about 'tactics' than 'desire'.

I've talked to many parents of kids who were on psychiatric drugs, had been on psychiatric drugs, or were told their kid needs to be on psychiatric drugs. For 99.999% of these cases, the kids do not need to be on psychiatric drugs (yes, there are some people who really are simply crazy and they should be locked up for their safety and others, but the ACLU has prevented this from occurring which explains why they are living homeless in our cities).

Here's a typical example. My neighbor's 6 year old son was a complete brat and never listened to his parents. He was completely undisciplined. When he went into first grade (at a private school), his teacher and the principle called his parents in for a conference. They told him his son is very disruptive in class, doesn't follow rules, and doesn't pay attention to his teacher. They stated if their son was to be allowed to continue to go to this private school, he would need to see a psychiatrist. When they asked if that meant he would likely be put on a psychiatric drug (like Ritalin), they said that was likely, but it was up to the psychiatrist. They didn't want to go that route, so they suggested the teacher give him a grade (A-F) every day after school on how well he behaved and as long as he had a C or better, they wouldn't require him to go see a psychiatrist. They agreed, but only gave them two weeks. Their bratty son came home with a F for the next seven school days. But, every time he came home with an F, they took away something that he liked. They were FINALLY disciplining him! After the seventh day, he finally started to correlate his bad behavior to the punishments and he didn't like it. By the end of the two weeks, he came home with a C. By the end of the year (last June), he was regularly coming home with an A for behavior. Treat the cause, not the symptom.

I read the next example a few years back. A 16 year old boy was dumped by his girlfriend. This devastated him and made him very depressed. He became even more depressed a couple months later when she started dating one of his friends. His grades went to the gutter. All of this was on his Facebook page. His idiot parents sent him to a psychiatrist, and you guessed it, he put him on a psychiatric drug. Instead of addressing the root cause and suggest he start dating other girls, get a hobby that he really likes, turn to God, etc., this worthless psychiatrist put him on drugs. One week later, the kid killed his parents and sister, then killed himself. You don't hear about these stories because the lame stream media doesn't want to lose the billion$ of dollar$ of ad revenue from Big Pharma.

#19 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

I'm skeptical about the drug argument as there's evidence of correlation, but no evidence of causation. Do people do crazy things such as carry out mass shootings because they're on mental health meds or are they on mental health meds because they are crazy, and crazy people do crazy things? Its like saying insulin causes diabetic reactions because so many people who have diabetic reactions are on insulin. I would need legitimate scientific proof before blaming the meds and not the illness.

#20 User is offline   usapatriot 

• <no title>

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

View PostModerator T, on 07 August 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

I'm skeptical about the drug argument as there's evidence of correlation, but no evidence of causation. Do people do crazy things such as carry out mass shootings because they're on mental health meds or are they on mental health meds because they are crazy, and crazy people do crazy things? Its like saying insulin causes diabetic reactions because so many people who have diabetic reactions are on insulin. I would need legitimate scientific proof before blaming the meds and not the illness.

It is impossible to definitively state the cause (trigger) of these mass shootings to the use of psychiatric drugs because you'd have to set up a double blind experimental study. However, when all (at least where the data is available, which is most) of the mass shooters in the last 20 years were on some type of psychiatric drug, there certainly is justification for causation or at least a very strong correlation.

One has to ask why is the frequency of mass shootings somewhat less in other first world countries (https://www.politifa...ont-happen-oth/)? I have a very good friend who lives in Great Britain and I asked him if kids (especially boys) are routinely put on psychiatric drugs like Ritalin by psychiatrists in Great Britain. His response was instructive and enlightening. He asked WHY would a psychiatrists put KIDS on psychiatric drugs? I explained that psychiatrists diagnose kids with ADD or ADHD (which is really just caused by horrible diet, terrible home environment, boys just being boys, undisciplined kids, lack of the ability for teachers to discipline badly behaving kids, etc.) and then prescribe a psychiatric drug. He had never heard of Ritalin (he has three kids) and he said that he is unaware of any kids being on psychiatric drugs nor that there are a lot of kids on psychiatric drugs in Great Britain. While this is anecdotal, an article at WedMD (https://www.webmd.co...-more-medicated) found America prescribes psychiatric drugs for kids at a rate OVER THREE times that of European countries. Maybe that could explain the somewhat higher rate of mass shootings in American compared to Europe?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users