RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: ‘Red Flag’ Gun Control Bills Pick Up Momentum With G.O.P. in Congress - RightNation.US

‘Red Flag’ Gun Control Bills Pick Up Momentum With G.O.P. in Congress Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

‘Red Flag’ Gun Control Bills Pick Up Momentum With G.O.P. in Congress

Sheryl Gay Stolberg
NY Times
8/5/19

EXCERPT:

Congressional Republicans, under pressure to respond to this weekend’s massacres, appear to be coalescing around legislation to help law enforcement to take guns from those who pose an imminent danger — a measure that, if signed into law, would be the most significant gun safety legislation enacted in 20 years.

“Red flag” laws such as this might not be as momentous — or controversial — as the now-expired assault weapons ban or the instant background check system, both of which were enacted in 1994 as part of President Bill Clinton’s sprawling crime bill. But they may be politically feasible.

With President Trump endorsing the idea, a number of Republicans — including Senator John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 2 Republican — are embracing the concept. Mr. Thune told his hometown newspaper, The Argus Leader, that he was “confident Congress will be able to find common ground on the so-called red flag issue.”

(Full Story)

--

So much for due process.

#2 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• M dwarf stars
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

The same people reporting non-lefties to get them kicked off of social media will be the people calling the police to report that you have guns and they're "worried".

#3 User is offline   satellite66 

• No more RHINOs!!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

Top of the slippery slope to confiscation GOP is in panic mode and once again allowing constitution ignorant democrats to control the narrative
Trump is and has been right about the swamp in DC

#4 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

"Red Flag" WITH "Due Process, I'd be okay with.

Florida's "Baker Act" might be a model. Not "JUST" the word of a 3rd party who might or might not have an axe to grind, but SPECIFIC SIGNS enumerated in a COURT OF LAW by either an LEO or Qualified Mental Health Profesional (QMHP) who has either seen the signs with their own eyes or has heard the dangerous words with their own ears.

It's a fairly high bar.

#5 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 August 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

"Red Flag" WITH "Due Process, I'd be okay with.

Florida's "Baker Act" might be a model. Not "JUST" the word of a 3rd party who might or might not have an axe to grind, but SPECIFIC SIGNS enumerated in a COURT OF LAW by either an LEO or Qualified Mental Health Profesional (QMHP) who has either seen the signs with their own eyes or has heard the dangerous words with their own ears.

It's a fairly high bar.

No it isn’t. Hearsay will abound.

This post has been edited by Noclevermoniker: 07 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

#6 User is offline   satellite66 

• No more RHINOs!!!

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

I worked for 25 years with many QMHPs and I can count on one hand how many were not anti gun liberals. So no thanks. Most states have psychiatric hold laws already in effect.
In almost every case the shooter was known to be disturbed but our liberal non judgemental society allowed them to skate until their actions turned deadly. Almost all of the shooters were troubled long before they got their hands on a firearm.

#7 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

"QMHP"... I know a couple of them. They are vamps and exploiters. The last people outside of a confession booth to trust or believe.

#8 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

Yup, I agree with y’all. I’ll just say that leftists will appeal to people here by using a “reasonable people” claim. “Reasonable people” won’t make bad claims “most of the time” and won’t “bear false witness intentionally” at all.

The problem is, there are exactly ZERO reasonable people on the left, so this legislation will absolutely be abused by the left. Just think about it (if you’re a lurker who’s not convinced). Look at what it takes today to claim someone raped a woman, or someone did/said something racially hateful, or someone is a homophobe, etc etc.

The same threshold will be applied to gun owners. One statement on an internet thread and before you know it the FBI will uncover your anonymous persona and be at your door to confiscate your guns. How could this happen, you wonder? Well let’s say you wondered in your post to a leftist if they’d have the balls to handle a tense situation with a shooter. That leftist would report you to the FBI saying he feels the implication is that this poster will be coming with guns to test his resolve and he feels frightened. We can’t give that power to individuals who are actually the haters.

#9 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

Get in touch with your reps and the White House.

#10 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:35 PM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 06 August 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

No it isn’t. Here-say will abound.

:exactly:

Some of us know better than to trust the government.

Those that do are gullible.

#11 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

View Postsatellite66, on 06 August 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

I worked for 25 years with many QMHPs and I can count on one hand how many were not anti gun liberals. So no thanks. Most states have psychiatric hold laws already in effect.
In almost every case the shooter was known to be disturbed but our liberal non judgemental society allowed them to skate until their actions turned deadly. Almost all of the shooters were troubled long before they got their hands on a firearm.

Our libtard/proggy infested government has purposely refused to properly deal with criminals for decades and lets them run loose as an excuse to diminish and remove our rights and freedoms. The gutless GOP has gotten to be no better than the democraps anymore.

We have seen most all of our resident RN proggies always making excuses for them to let them off the hook every time to run free to be parasites and to inflict harm upon all good normal law abiding people because deep down they hate and despise us and everything that is good.

#12 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

View Postzurg, on 06 August 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

Yup, I agree with y’all. I’ll just say that leftists will appeal to people here by using a “reasonable people” claim. “Reasonable people” won’t make bad claims “most of the time” and won’t “bear false witness intentionally” at all.

The problem is, there are exactly ZERO reasonable people on the left, so this legislation will absolutely be abused by the left. Just think about it (if you’re a lurker who’s not convinced). Look at what it takes today to claim someone raped a woman, or someone did/said something racially hateful, or someone is a homophobe, etc etc.

The same threshold will be applied to gun owners. One statement on an internet thread and before you know it the FBI will uncover your anonymous persona and be at your door to confiscate your guns. How could this happen, you wonder? Well let’s say you wondered in your post to a leftist if they’d have the balls to handle a tense situation with a shooter. That leftist would report you to the FBI saying he feels the implication is that this poster will be coming with guns to test his resolve and he feels frightened. We can’t give that power to individuals who are actually the haters.

#13 User is offline   Hercules 

• <no title>
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

G O P is in total disarray. They will sell us out in a heartbeat.

I lost a lifetime gun collection in a 85% house fire in 1993. ( REALLY ) I was so disheartened that I never tried to rebuild. I only have a shotgun now.

But if I still had them I would worry about every Liberal I know.

#14 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

Thune has been a disappointment for a while now, and Senator Rounds is following in his footsteps. I would hope South Dakota could do better, but it seems as if they will stay entrenched in DC. Thune, like Daschle before him, is getting up there in the senate and forgets he is supposed to represent South Dakota. He has that old DC Swamp sickness.

#15 User is offline   satellite66 

• No more RHINOs!!!

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:46 AM

DC is an enchanting mistress to both parties. The lure and perks of elitism have corrupted far to many of the GOP

#16 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

Just emailed Sen. Thune, Sen. Rounds and Rep. Dusty Johnson. Not that I hope contacting them will do much good. The dems lean evil, the republicans lean weak.

#17 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

Honestly, they should write a bill that targets the 2nd amendment AND the 1st amendment..........with absolutely no sincere desire to pass it..........but to illustrate that both can be used as weapons but are freedoms that were guaranteed in the founding of our nation. Without the 2nd amendment (the entire Bill of Rights), the nation would never have been founded.

#18 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67579326_10216908568558802_5705777603634266112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlW5krqAAzc9_k1b_EndfGKvayhbQdU6BHsKCq5a2K-LUD1dCew4-IjrUK0WZv-Sqw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=2e95deaffc27964f1c55438709f72b49&oe=5DA3F209

#19 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

Sen., Rep. etc.,

I trust, that as a defender of individual rights, you will strongly oppose any so-called "red flag" laws. This is nothing more than policing thought crime. There is no safe arbitration of such laws, that cannot be compromised by the left and eventually turned against any and all gun owners.

I'm expecting, no, I'm praying for your strenuous objection to such proposals as they are against the very presumption of innocence foundation of our laws. I'll bet all states currently have laws to allow those truly mentally ill to have such protections enabled.

I'm hoping you'll show very public and rational opposition to this incrementalism. The left will not be sated with this; it will only be another step in their quest toward full confiscation.

Please help us.

Very sincerely yours,

#20 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

https://oneclickpoli...t?promo_id=6840

The GOA emailed me this link today.

It appears that anyone can use it to send a message to the politicians who are going wobbly on our gun rights.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users