RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Hurry Up! Sports Has a Time Problem - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hurry Up! Sports Has a Time Problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:05 AM

Hurry Up! Sports Has a Time Problem
By Jason Gay
Aug. 12, 2019 8:06 am ET
WSJ
2m read 5m read 17m read 64m read

<More Here>

We've pounded on this topic in the past, and we're going to keep pounding, because it's important, and we're in a hurry, with lots and lots of stuff to do:

Everything in sports…is…taking…waaaaaaaay…too…long.

How many times do I have to say this? We live in an impatient, 5G, instant download, Amazon Prime society. Nobody can stand waiting anymore. We want what we want, when we want it, and when is usually two days ago.

Hour-long wait at a restaurant? You have to be kidding me.

Movie taking two minutes to buffer on the iPad? I think I might die.

Another 850-word sports column about sporting events taking too long? Cut to the chase, Jason!

We're all so restless and in a rush. Have you been to a baseball game recently? You can fly in a hot-air balloon from Chicago to San Diego—and then take a covered wagon back across the Rockies—in the time it takes to play the average baseball game.

I'm serious. My neighbor took his 4-year-old to a double-header this summer. By the time they got home, the kid was 6.

(The Journal's baseball czar Jared Diamond rolls his eyes when I make fun of baseball's pace of play. But I know for a fact that Jared brings a Harry Potter book to the press box every game—and finishes it by the fourth inning.)

College football is worse. College football games drag on longer than, well, college. If it runs into overtime, you can tack on a couple of years of graduate school, and a medical degree. Nick Saban grows a long, shaggy beard by the end of the average Alabama game.

Even tennis is trying to speed up. Chair umpires now warn players who take too long with the bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce before their serves, even if it means getting a laser death stare from Novak Djokovic. We just had a Wimbledon men's final with a new tiebreaker format that cut the match down to…OK, that match still lasted almost five hours, it's probably not the best example.

Perhaps the most chronic time offender is golf. A sport invented to ruin the weekends of reasonable human beings, golf is not tailored for accelerated modern life.

You need at least four hours to play 18 holes of golf, and that's if you're playing briskly. Four free hours? Who do you think I am, Jay Gatsby? Do you think leisure time exists in 2019? I have to take the kids to a birthday party, shop for organic cheese sticks at Trader Joe's, get the car washed, and it turns out the cat may finally have to go to the vet for a hairball thing.

Four hours? I can give you 20 minutes. How much golf can we do?

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

I absolutely hate it when sports run long. One of the worst offenders is NBA basketball. How the Hell can they make the last 22 seconds of a game last 20 <censored>ing minutes?! Get over yourselves. Nobody gives a <censored> anymore.

This post has been edited by MTP Reggie: 13 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

#3 User is offline   johnnybravo 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

Golf has always been slow. It’s the nature of the game. If people don’t like it, don’t watch it. As far as basketball and football, the biggest reason they drag on forever is due to commercials. Those games have TV timeouts. What they should do is have a channel or two that plays without commercials if they want to speed up the games.

#4 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

View Postjohnnybravo, on 13 August 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

Golf has always been slow. It's the nature of the game. If people don't like it, don't watch it. As far as basketball and football, the biggest reason they drag on forever is due to commercials. Those games have TV timeouts. What they should do is have a channel or two that plays without commercials if they want to speed up the games.

They tried years ago to televise volleyball. They changed the entire dynamic of the sport, screwing it up forever. It used to be something you literally could battle on, and now its designed for the short attention span children out there. You could survive a bad line up by getting one player to rotate out of the strength, now not so much.

#5 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

Delays, breaks and interruptions = huge dollars in the form of promotions and advertising. And, it isn't just the NBA, NFL, MLB etc. Even NASCAR, those cars are capable of much greater speeds.
The powers that be will tell you they limit speed for safety reasons. B.S. if the cars ran faster the races would shorten and lots of money would be lost, largely from advertising.
Advertising rates are decided by the number of viewers not the length of an event, so the longer something goes the more $ $ $.
When ratings crash because of things being drug out and delays you'll see the pace pick up and pick up a lot.

#6 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

The only sports I really watch is gymnastics and bull riding and we just don't get much of that on television around here. My husband gave up football with the antics of the kneelers. The PBR isn't on much any more since they got their worthless Ride Pass. My house is pretty much sports free and I like it that way.

#7 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• M dwarf stars
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

They realized this for cricket, which had matches that could last for days. They created a shorter version, usually around 3 hours, to make it more entertaining for spectators easier to televise: Twenty20 cricket.

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

View Postjohnnybravo, on 13 August 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

Golf has always been slow. It’s the nature of the game. If people don’t like it, don’t watch it. As far as basketball and football, the biggest reason they drag on forever is due to commercials. Those games have TV timeouts. What they should do is have a channel or two that plays without commercials if they want to speed up the games.

Yeah, the commercials definitely play a part. But I think the biggest time-consumer is all those unnecessary penalties! Seems there's a penalty on almost every play.

B)

#9 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 13 August 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

The only sports I really watch is gymnastics and bull riding and we just don't get much of that on television around here. My husband gave up football with the antics of the kneelers. The PBR isn't on much any more since they got their worthless Ride Pass. My house is pretty much sports free and I like it that way.

One of the few areas I find women’s sports more entertaining is gymnastics.
https://i.imgur.com/gTPmcGH.gif
The women are like from a Marvel movie.

The only thing that beats a benadryl for sleep is TV golf.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 13 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

#10 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

View Postoki, on 13 August 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

Delays, breaks and interruptions = huge dollars in the form of promotions and advertising. And, it isn't just the NBA, NFL, MLB etc. Even NASCAR, those cars are capable of much greater speeds.
The powers that be will tell you they limit speed for safety reasons. B.S. if the cars ran faster the races would shorten and lots of money would be lost, largely from advertising.
Advertising rates are decided by the number of viewers not the length of an event, so the longer something goes the more $ $ $.
When ratings crash because of things being drug out and delays you'll see the pace pick up and pick up a lot.

NA$CAR has broken their races down into "segments" which are really heats just to stretch out the time to get in more commercials and to dumb it down for millennials with short attention spans. They've pretty much admitted it.

#11 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

I've given up on sports because almost all of it is deliberately rigged.

#12 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 August 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yeah, the commercials definitely play a part. But I think the biggest time-consumer is all those unnecessary penalties! Seems there's a penalty on almost every play.

B)

That's so they can manipulate and rig the outcome.

I have seen it happen far too many times, especially in college sports and NASCAR.

I used to be a big time NASCAR fan, but not anymore. Too much corporate money buying their rigged outcomes in favor of certain manufacturers and sponsors.

#13 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

I'm serious. My neighbor took his 4-year-old to a double-header this summer. By the time they got home, the kid was 6.

:rofl:

#14 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 13 August 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

I absolutely hate it when sports run long. One of the worst offenders is NBA basketball. How the Hell can they make the last 22 seconds of a game last 20 <censored>ing minutes?! Get over yourselves. Nobody gives a <censored> anymore.

Hey, I agree. That’s why (ok that’s not why, but it fits the context) I’m a hockey fan. Ice-hockey (not field hockey which is cool too though). Fast paced game, short breaks, even in playoffs. That’s a REAL game.

One could say soccer also eliminates boring commercials but the boring commercials are replaced by a boring game. So although I like it, unless it’s the World Cup, I don’t have time for that <censored>.

#15 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:15 PM

PBR made a huge mistake with RidePass. The franchise had been growing exponentially for years. Putting it on a paysite has killed this season.

I liked the short-lived Alliance of American Football's format with in-game ads. Husker volleyball is mostly on public TV. Hardly any commercials and the action is furious. Premier Lacrosse has a quickset format. World Team Tennis is also fun.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users