RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Remains of Airman killed in Vietnam flown home by pilot son. - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remains of Airman killed in Vietnam flown home by pilot son. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:50 PM

DALLAS (STORYFUL) - The family of a pilot killed in action in 1967 during the Vietnam War was among dozens of people who silently observed the Dignified Arrival of the airmanís remains at Dallas Love Field Airport in Texas on August 8, local media reported.

The remains were transported by the airmanís son, Bryan Knight, who is a pilot for Southwest Airlines.

An obituary for Roy A. Knight Jr, a major in the US Air Force, said he was shot down in May 1967 while attacking a target on the Ho Chi Minh trail in Laos. He was initially listed as Missing in Action, and was declared Killed in Action in 1974. During that time, he was promoted to the rank of colonel, the obituary said.

https://fox11online....as-by-pilot-son

Dear God talk about bitter sweet. First to grow up never knowing for sure, then to find out so many years later, then to be the one to finally bring your dad home.
Not much brings me to tears, but this definitely has.

#2 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Honestly, I can't even process a moment like this.

#3 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 13 August 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Honestly, I can't even process a moment like this.

No kidding, the only thing I can be sure of is that as they unloaded his Dad from the Cargo hold he wished he could have been there on the ground.
I can't even imagine, all those years of not really knowing, then you find out, then you are the one to finally bring your dad home?
How does a pilot even make the announcement to the passengers? Please stand as they unload my Dad who died in Vietnam over 50 years ago but is only know finally coming home?
How does a person even remain composed in making the announcement when it's your loved one, or even if it's the co pilot for that matter?
Only other thing I can say for sure is no matter the flights this Pilot has ever made this one by far will be his most important and memorable.

As someone who has been part of the Honor Guard for a couple funerals.... it was the toughest detail I ever did, but it was also the most rewarding and honorable part my service.
Knowing that you where part of making sure the Soldier(I was Army) had a proper send off is an incredible source of pride and joy in sadness. Our LT. told us, this is the kind of stuff that can make or break an Officers OER, he told us the families wanted to make sure we knew how grateful they where for our professionalism, attention to detail and incredible job we did.
Hearing that, knowing that... it makes it all worth it. Guess that's why these stories hit so close to home for me.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users