RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Ginger Baker: Legendary Cream drummer dies aged 80 - RightNation.US

Ginger Baker: Legendary Cream drummer dies aged 80 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

BBC News

(excerpt)

'Ginger Baker, one of the most innovative and influential drummers in rock music, has died at the age of 80.

A co-founder of Cream, he also played with Blind Faith, Hawkwind and Fela Kuti in a long and varied career.

His style combined the lyricism of jazz with the crude power of rock. One critic said watching him was like witnessing "a human combine harvester".

But he was also a temperamental and argumentative figure, whose behaviour frequently led to on-stage punch-ups.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-49827436

#2 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:11 AM

I always thought he sang on "A Mother's Lament." But when I did a search and it appears that all three of them sang.

RIP Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 06 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

#3 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

When I read of his illness a little while ago, I feared this would be the outcome.

Very sad to hear. His impact on music will last generations.

Even if his music does not interest you, the documentary mentioned in the article, ďBeware of Mr BakerĒ is a great, and very entertaining, watch.

R.I.P, Mr Baker.

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Sleep in peace.

Sad times lately..

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

A co-founder of Cream, he also played with Blind Faith, Hawkwind and Fela Kuti in a long and varied career.

And Ginger Baker's Air Force. Don't forget Ginger Baker's Air Force.

RIP to one of rock/pop/jazz/blues iconic percussionists.

:(

#6 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:11 PM

RIP.

Cream was a bit before my time, so I never really heard him in the zeitgeist of the era and much of Cream stuff just sounds 'dated' to my ear. But... that's on ME, not on him.

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:25 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 October 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

RIP.

Cream was a bit before my time, so I never really heard him in the zeitgeist of the era and much of Cream stuff just sounds 'dated' to my ear. But... that's on ME, not on him.

HUGE Cream fan here.

SWLABR is probably my favorite Cream song. And I even know what it stands for!

(She Was Like A Bearded Rainbow)

;)

#8 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 October 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

HUGE Cream fan here.

;)

Great drummer...Great band...I was a huge Cream fan in 1967 until my friend gave me ďAre You Experienced ď And them Cream went on the back burner and Hendrix to this day is one of my favorites

Donít forget Blind Faith....Only one album but itís filled with great songs

#9 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

View Postfirecoco, on 06 October 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Great drummer...Great band...I was a huge Cream fan in 1967 until my friend gave me ďAre You Experienced ď And them Cream went on the back burner and Hendrix to this day is one of my favorites

Blind Faithís ďCanít find my way homeĒ is one of my all time favorite songs. Love that song.

#10 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

View Posterp, on 06 October 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Blind Faithís ďCanít find my way homeĒ is one of my all time favorite songs. Love that song.

That whole album is awesome...And youíre right thatís a great song

#11 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

I donít know if a lot of people know this but Jack Bruce And Ginger Baker hated each other...They would go at while they were on stage

#12 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

View Postfirecoco, on 06 October 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Oh yeah, Hendrix is great too. No doubt about it. I'm pretty sure I've told my Jimi Hendrix at the Spanish Castle story. It was before he was an international superstar; he was just a local musician in those days. (I was only about 11 or 12, so I couldn't get in, but I could hear some of the music while riding my bicycle in the parking lot.)

And Blind Faith? Yup, another great band. I had the original cover release (now a valuable collector's item), but lost it when my apartment burned down.

B)

#13 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 October 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

HUGE Cream fan here.

;)

I'm '70s. Best drummers were Mick Fleetwood, Carl Palmer (ELP), And Brad Carlson (aka Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick).

I appreciate that Cream gave us Clapton, but that's about as far as it goes. Sorry. Much MORE a fan of the predecessor Yardbirds which gave us BOTH Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 October 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Oh yeah, Hendrix is great too. No doubt about it. I'm pretty sure I've told my Jimi Hendrix at the Spanish Castle story. It was before he was an international superstar; he was just a local musician in those days. (I was only about 11 or 12, so I couldn't get in, but I could hear some of the music while riding my bicycle in the parking lot.)

B)

Likewise. I *think* I saw Hendrix *BEFORE* he was a superstar. Or maybe on the verge of it. '67 or '68. Three Dog Night in Dayton Ohio with my parents. Black dude opens, playing the guitar in the weirdest way I'd ever heard.

I was 7 or 8 YO. I had no idea who was who. Might've been Hendrix. Or not. But who ELSE could it have been?

#15 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 October 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

I'm '70s. Best drummers were Mick Fleetwood, Carl Palmer (ELP), And Brad Carlson (aka Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick).

I appreciate that Cream gave us Clapton, but that's about as far as it goes. Sorry. Much MORE a fan of the predecessor Yardbirds which gave us BOTH Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.

What about Jeff Beck?...Heís great on the guitar

#16 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 October 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

Likewise. I *think* I saw Hendrix *BEFORE* he was a superstar. Or maybe on the verge of it. '67 or '68. Three Dog Night in Dayton Ohio with my parents. Black dude opens, playing the guitar in the weirdest way I'd ever heard.

I was 7 or 8 YO. I had no idea who was who. Might've been Hendrix. Or not. But who ELSE could it have been?

I saw Hendrix in 1968 at the Boston Garden...My first concert

#17 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 October 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

Ummm...You mention Yardbirds and forget Jeff Beck?

:spank:

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 October 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

I just remember riding my bicycle around Des Moines WA back in the early-to-mid 60's when my dad owned a toy store there. Once while I was riding in the Spanish Castle parking lot, I heard some very strange guitar playing, and a couple of disgusted rednecks leaving the bar complaining about that "left-handed n****r" making a "lot of noise".

Of course I had no clue way back then, but looking back now I'm convinced it must've been Jimi Hendrix.

B)

#18 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:28 PM

View Postfirecoco, on 06 October 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

I donít know if a lot of people know this but Jack Bruce And Ginger Baker hated each other...They would go at while they were on stage

Itís addressed in the documentary mentioned.

I understand they even started fighting on stage during the 2006 reunion. Itís why Clapton wanted out of the band because of their constant fighting.

#19 User is offline   Tabla_Man 

• Go Nuggets!!!

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

As a drummer I was a huge Ginger Baker fan. His work was largely unappreciated outside of Cream, but I think to musicians people understood how uniquely gifted he was. His life seems a bit tragic with all of the strife he had between former bandmates and even family that had become estranged, I suppose a lot of that comes from his addiction issues he had over the years.

RIP

#20 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostTabla_Man, on 07 October 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

As a drummer I was a huge Ginger Baker fan. His work was largely unappreciated outside of Cream, but I think to musicians people understood how uniquely gifted he was. His life seems a bit tragic with all of the strife he had between former bandmates and even family that had become estranged, I suppose a lot of that comes from his addiction issues he had over the years.

RIP

To be fair, most times he is hailed as NO 1 or top 3 with Moon and Bonham. I know in the US, Peart usually gets in that top 3.

IMO the two greatest aren't even rock: Rich and Krupa. The former being another who was a great musician, but a complete ****hole of a human being. Krupa apparently was the opposite, a lovely man.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users