RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The judge who sentenced a man to 10 days in jail for oversleeping jury - RightNation.US

The judge who sentenced a man to 10 days in jail for oversleeping jury Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:55 PM

The judge who sentenced a man to 10 days in jail for oversleeping jury duty clears his record

Updated 5:24 PM ET, Mon October 7, 2019
Excerpt:

(CNN)Deandre Somerville spent 10 days in a Florida jail after he overslept and didn't show up for jury duty, but the judge now says he won't have a criminal record.
Judge John Kastrenakes found the 21-year-old from West Palm Beach in contempt of court last month after he missed the civil trial and didn't call the court to explain what happened.

Kastrenakes vacated the contempt finding and rescinded the sentence of probation in an order he signed on Saturday.
Somerville was originally sentenced to 10 days in jail, 150 hours of community service, a written apology of at least 100 words, a year of probation and $233 in fees, according to court records. Somerville did not have a criminal record and the punishment prompted outrage on social media.

The judge reduced Somerville's punishment on Friday after the young man appealed his case in court.
"Before my hearing, I walked into the courtroom a free man with no criminal record," Somerville said in court on Friday. "I left a criminal in handcuffs."
He apologized in his letter to the judge.
"This was an immature decision that I made, and I paid the price for my freedom," Somerville said, reading from his letter.

<snip>

Link

+1 for social media..

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:25 PM

Punishment seemed to fit.

You get a summons for jury duty. You don't just blow it off or toss it aside like junk mail.

21-YO
being the key word here. Millenial-PostMillenial. Dude needed a "Reality Check".

------------------------

+1 for social media..

-1 for Social Media. Millennial needed a 'reality check' aka "Swift Kick in the Arse". Now he gets that 'Social Media' is his "Get Out of Jail Free" card. Social Media has done him no favors.

#3 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 07 October 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

You get a summons for jury duty. You don't just blow it off or toss it aside like junk mail.

21-YO
being the key word here. Millenial-PostMillenial. Dude needed a "Reality Check".

------------------------

-1 for Social Media. Millennial needed a 'reality check' aka "Swift Kick in the Arse". Now he gets that 'Social Media' is his "Get Out of Jail Free" card. Social Media has done him no favors.

A criminal record for skipping jury duty, even after spending 10 days in jail plus a fine and a year of probation? Please. If he'd gotten loaded and run down a Girl Scout he'd barely get that.

#4 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 October 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

A criminal record for skipping jury duty, even after spending 10 days in jail plus a fine and a year of probation? Please. If he'd gotten loaded and run down a Girl Scout he'd barely get that.

Did you read the part where he agreed with the sentence?

This is the epitome of a leftist response. They want to live a life without consequences.

#5 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:42 PM

You can be jailed for simply refusing jury duty or lying or otherwise deliberately trying to get out of it. That law is direct from the Constitution and if you want from the Bible and before that the Hammurabi Code.

#6 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:35 PM

View PostTikk, on 07 October 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

Did you read the part where he agreed with the sentence?

This is the epitome of a leftist response. They want to live a life without consequences.

I didn't say he shouldn't be punished at all. I'm talking proportion here. Punish him the way all jury duckers are punished. A criminal record, however, is out of proportion. The judge is ruining a young mans life, one who has no criminal background, to make an example out of him.

#7 User is offline   Weaseljd 

• <no title>

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:53 PM

Oh please, seriously. I am a trial lawyer. This is extreme and ridiculous to give jail time and a record for failing to show up for jury duty. People bail on jury duty all the time, and usually they get a second summons to come in and maybe stuck with a fine. NO ONE should go to jail.

#8 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

So violating the laws that you don't think really amount to much is OK.

Consistent.

#9 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

View PostLadybird, on 07 October 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

I didn't say he shouldn't be punished at all. I'm talking proportion here. Punish him the way all jury duckers are punished. A criminal record, however, is out of proportion. The judge is ruining a young mans life, one who has no criminal background, to make an example out of him.

He no longer has a criminal background and he claims to have learned his lesson, so it seems to me that the punishment served to edify Sleepy and illuminated others to the necessity to show up when you're called to jury duty, or at least call to let someone know what happened to you.

#10 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:12 PM

This is all too common for millenials anymore. We have lots of trouble with them at work for missing days and showing up late. Work is not an important priority for many of them and neither is personal responsibility. It all comes from their parents failure to teach them any responsibility and accountability. Also blame their leftist teachings from school to have such a lazy casual attitude towards such matters like it's no big deal. This problem is becoming wide spread. We have been discussing this at work even today. This same kind of crap is being taught as policy by these "college educated" professional people in the HR departments of many companies these days and it's a recipe for failure. They are teaching that there is no personal responsibility or accountability for the individual. It's always a group or "team" responsibility and accountability for everything, especially for the failures, laziness and irresponsible behavior of the bad employees. I kid you not, they are actively teaching this crap and are making it the company policy everywhere and in every institution. We had a business consultant firm hired by my employer called "Aspire" to come in and teach this progressive garbage business procedures to our upper management. Their class was also offered to my co-workers and the few that signed up for it told me all about it. Funny, that they've adopt these unproven business model tactics and policies from these young proggy groups that have no proven record of success at all?

On another post of mine I described one of my "defective" co-workers who is allowed to get away with all of his bad behavior because he's a black homosexual and has family connections with the HR department. On his review he got the same score as the rest of us who do our jobs well. The one thing that happened is our entire group got a "fails, need improvement" on "teamwork" because of this guy. None of us except for the bad worker does anything wrong in regards to the team, only he the one bad worker does. Yet my boss said that we were all to blame for not "educating him". I reminded her that it was not OUR job to do so nor was holding him accountable for his bad behavior, that it was HERS. We cannot and are not responsible for disciplining him (we cannot write him up), she and management are and they do NOTHING about it. This is going on within the entire district.

Most of our supervisors at work are a joke because of their lack of talent and qualifications and they are being given these crazy warped guidelines for failure to run things by. It's no wonder why we are failing so much and things are spiraling downwards so fast within the last 10 years?
Again, this progressive crap is being taught everywhere and becoming company policy. This is one of the reasons why I have flatly refused to become a supervisor at work (they still keep on bugging me to become one) because it is all a sick joke.

As usual a lefty here defends the people who do/teach this crap like it's no big deal?

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 08 October 2019 - 12:06 AM

#11 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:15 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 07 October 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

21-YO

------------------------

It wasn't for skipping his summons. He showed for that and got selected for the trial. Then when the trial started, he was a no show. Someone's rights to a speedy trial were delayed because this guy couldn't be bothered to show up. They should have kept the punishment IMO.

#12 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:16 PM

View PostWeaseljd, on 07 October 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

Oh please, seriously. I am a trial lawyer. This is extreme and ridiculous to give jail time and a record for failing to show up for jury duty. People bail on jury duty all the time, and usually they get a second summons to come in and maybe stuck with a fine. NO ONE should go to jail.

Jurors frequently don't show up for trials after being selected?

#13 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:40 PM

View PostModerator T, on 07 October 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

It wasn't for skipping his summons. He showed for that and got selected for the trial. Then when the trial started, he was a no show. Someone's rights to a speedy trial were delayed because this guy couldn't be bothered to show up. They should have kept the punishment IMO.

:yeahthat: :exactly:

They ended up making accountability to the courts and the law into a joke by letting this guy off the hook. They often do the same for most criminals too.

#14 User is offline   Weaseljd 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

View PostModerator T, on 07 October 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

Jurors frequently don't show up for trials after being selected?

It actually happens yes. That is why every trial has alternates selected - jurors who sit through the entire trial but once the case goes to the jury do not deliberate and get to go home and do not decide the case. If a juror fails to show up during trial, or something happens during trial and they have to be dismissed, the alternate takes over so the trial up until then is not wasted and you just move on. No one's rights should have been impacted because he made a mistake and overslept, and the criminal trial would have continued with an alternate in his place.

#15 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

View PostWeaseljd, on 08 October 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

It actually happens yes. That is why every trial has alternates selected - jurors who sit through the entire trial but once the case goes to the jury do not deliberate and get to go home and do not decide the case. If a juror fails to show up during trial, or something happens during trial and they have to be dismissed, the alternate takes over so the trial up until then is not wasted and you just move on. No one's rights should have been impacted because he made a mistake and overslept, and the criminal trial would have continued with an alternate in his place.

Right. Even the civil trial I was on had alternate jurors.

#16 User is offline   Weaseljd 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostModerator T, on 07 October 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

This was a civil trial - not criminal. No right to a speedy trial in civil cases under the Constitution. Inconvenient yes - but not a due process violation. And like I said - the trial would have gone on with an alternate, or the judge could have just sent the sheriff out to get the kid and bring him in to start while you waited. Been here before in trial. trust me - it is not a huge deal and the lawyers and judges usually just deal with it and move on and never give it much of a second thought

View PostRock N, on 07 October 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

:yeahthat: :exactly:

They ended up making accountability to the courts and the law into a joke by letting this guy off the hook. They often do the same for most criminals too.

Come back after you have been in the court room over 20 years. Until then - thanks for playing

#17 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

Why the comparison? Why the whataboutism? Why not just speak of the case at hand?

#18 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostWeaseljd, on 07 October 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

That’s fine and all but how is a civilian who generally would try to AVOID showing up in court know any of this? You people (legal profession, courts, judges, etc etc) deliberately make it sound like there will be “scary” and “strict” and “harsh” consequences for anyone who doesn’t follow the law. Just to find out that it was just empty threats?

Oh, I overslept and forgot to mail in my tax payment to the US Treasury. Oh NOW THAT’s different!!!! Great consistency.

#19 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:31 AM

View Postzurg, on 08 October 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

Why the comparison? Why the whataboutism? Why not just speak of the case at hand?

What’s it to you?

#20 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostLadybird, on 08 October 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

What’s it to you?

I’m using my first amendment rights. I’m annoyed at your pattern of behavior so I express my opposition to it. I hope I’m being clear, and I hope you know I’m being honest.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users