RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: House votes to recognize Armenian genocide - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

House votes to recognize Armenian genocide Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:09 PM

House votes to recognize Armenian genocide

JULIEGRACE BRUFKE
The Hill
10/29/19

EXCERPT:

The House passed a resolution on Tuesday officially recognizing and rebuking the Ottoman Empire's genocide against the Armenian people and rejecting any efforts to enlist the U.S. government in denying that the genocide took place.

Proponents of the long-delayed measure, which passed in a 405-11 vote, argue that it's a necessary and overdue step in providing justice for Armenians. Three lawmakers voted present.

The resolution was introduced by Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), a vice chair of the Congressional Armenian Caucus.

“Many American politicians, diplomats and institutions have rightly recognized these atrocities as a genocide, including America's ambassador to the Ottoman Empire at the time, Henry Morgenthau, and Ronald Reagan," House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) said on the floor ahead of the vote.

"Only by shining a light on the darkest parts of our history can we learn not to repeat them and properly acknowledging what occurred is a necessary step in achieving some measure of justice for the victims,” he added.

The bill emphasizes the position of the House that U.S. policy will "(1) commemorate the Armenian Genocide through official recognition and remembrance; (2) reject efforts to enlist, engage, or otherwise associate the United States Government with denial of the Armenian Genocide or any other genocide; and (3) encourage education and public understanding of the facts of the Armenian Genocide, including the United States role in the humanitarian relief effort, and the relevance of the Armenian Genocide to modern-day crimes against humanity."

“Genocides, whenever and wherever they occur, cannot be ignored, whether they took place in the 20th century by the Ottoman Turks or mid-20th century by the Third Reich and in Darfur," Rep. Gus Bilirakis (R-Fla.), a co-chair of the Armenian Caucus who helped lead the efforts on the measure, said on the House floor.

(Full Story)

--

Ilhan Omar voted present because it doesn't cover slavery or genocide of Native Americans, as did one other of her squaddies. Mark Meadows and 9 other Republicans voted against.

#2 User is offline   tcotrel 

• You know those parking lot attendants....
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:22 PM

And 178 Republicans voted for something sponsored by Adam Schiff.
I don’t care. This is s good thing.

#3 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:20 AM

View Posttcotrel, on 29 October 2019 - 11:22 PM, said:

And 178 Republicans voted for something sponsored by Adam Schiff.
I don’t care. This is s good thing.

Thought you'd like this article

#4 User is offline   Timothy 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:23 AM

Long overdue. But I have to say I wish they'd done it at a time when there wasn't major drama with Turkey. It makes it come across as motivated by a desire to punish Turkey for its current actions rather than as a solemn acknowledgement of the past. It gives the Turks an easy out to dismiss it.

#5 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

View PostTimothy, on 30 October 2019 - 12:23 AM, said:

Long overdue. But I have to say I wish they'd done it at a time when there wasn't major drama with Turkey. It makes it come across as motivated by a desire to punish Turkey for its current actions rather than as a solemn acknowledgement of the past. It gives the Turks an easy out to dismiss it.

Your POV is rather revealing.

#6 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:50 AM

The Turks will dismiss it anyhow. Every other time its come up they get all pissy.

#7 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:19 AM

I thought the same thing.

View PostModerator T, on 30 October 2019 - 01:50 AM, said:

The Turks will dismiss it anyhow. Every other time its come up they get all pissy.

That they will, but it still stinks of politics vice a genuine sentiment.

#8 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

Stand three Armenians and a Turk in front of 405 Congresscreatures. They wouldn't know the difference.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users