RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Fossil of a giant prehistoric fish with circular saw-shaped teeth foun - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fossil of a giant prehistoric fish with circular saw-shaped teeth foun Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:40 PM

Mysterious fossil of a giant prehistoric fish with circular saw-shaped teeth found in Russia - and scientists think it could be the extinct ancestor of the modern-day ghost shark

By WILL STEWART FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 13:55 GMT, 29 November 2019 | UPDATED: 14:13 GMT, 29 November 2019

• Some 270 million years ago the Helicoprion was the largest predator on Earth
  • It had a series of sharp teeth-blades with a common spiral-coiled root
  • Scientists believe it was an extinct ancestor of the modern-day ghost shark

rare fossil of a prehistoric monster-fish's spiral of chainsaw-like teeth has been found in Russia.

The scary Helicoprion was an extinct ancestor of the modern-day ghost shark or ratfish with an impressive set of nashers - that lived millions of years before the dinosaurs.

Discovered in an open coal mine in Volgograd, southern Russia, the latest example of the cartilaginous fish shows a fossilised arsenal of radial murder-teeth. Some 270 million years ago the Helicoprion was the largest predator on Earth, according to US professor Leif Tapanila.

Professor Igor Novikov, of Moscow's Paleontological Institute, said the circular or buzz saw shaped tooth spiral is 'one of the most mysterious fossils of the late Paleozoic era.'

<snip>

The fish was first described by Russian scientist Alexander Karpinsky in 1899 from a fossil discovered near Krasnoufimsk. Scientists were for a long time baffled over the fish, for a time thinking the Helicoprion's murder teeth were fixed to an elephant-like trunk appendage. In fact, it is now established that the teeth grew inside the fish's lower jaw like a 'partly concealed tooth factory,' reported Scientific American.

<snip>
LINK with interesting photos

These have been quite the enigma for over a century. Fossils of Helicoprrion have also been found in Illinois and Scotland. I'm lucky to have a jaw section in my collection. A weird, weird fish

#2 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:58 PM

Fascinating, cool link. Odd teeth, lot of spirals in nature though. I'd never seen one of these before.

#3 User is offline   Big Dave 

• ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

Really cool!
On a side note, what is it with the Mail and pop-up videos?

#4 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:18 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/eb/e0/f4/ebe0f4d706730430bbb2d47276a741d8.jpg

Reminds me of this tool my mom used to have in her sewing kit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users